• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Miyamoto pilot one last game?

So obviously Miyamoto's career is well into its waning stages-- these next few years will be his last most likely. So the question: do you want to see him take lead on one last Zelda title, just like old times? Go out wth a bang? Or just fade into the dusk?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
No, I think he really needs to take a big step back and leave it alone now. Miyamoto has opposed heavy story elements in Zelda since its early stages. He is reluctant to let go of the past and likes making the same games again and again. Aounuma and Koizumi actually had to sneak behind Miyamotos back when directing OOT and MM to get in the story elements they did.

Miyamoto took a more hands on approach with Skyward Sword, a lacklustre entry into the series. He made the whole game revolve around the motion plus rather than Aounumas way of letting the story and gameplay evolve together. Which is why we got a piss poor plotline with a lore that contradicts what is stated in the rest of the series in regards to the way the Master sword was created.

Last edited:

Dan

Miyamoto and most of us will probably all be dead by the time another Zelda title gets worked on, not counting the 4k ports.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Nope
Miyamoto should just back off from the series.
If it weren't for Miyamoto, Skyward Sword would be more focused and would improve on TP, the concept of ALBW would be used in an entirely new world, Links Crossbow training would be a sequel to TP with integrated story.

Just let Aonuma do his thing and keep Miyamoto far away from Zelda. He hasn't exactly ruined the series yet, but he has already ruined many important Nintendo series like Paper Mario.

I am going to say no. I also think Aounuma should be a lot less involved in the next original Zelda game (after Zelda U/NX). Time for some fresh new people in to develop Zelda games. Aonuma is gettin in years too. In 5-10 years he'll be at retirement age as well.
LOZ as a series can only move on when people like Miyamoto and Aonuma move on. I would add in Kondo as well. He's a grizzled veteran as well with Nintendo. Kondo really need to apprentice someone to take over the musical director role in new Zelda games.

I really am loking forward to the first original LoZ game that does not have Miyamoto, Aonuma and Kondo working on it at all in any way.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I am going to say no. I also think Aounuma should be a lot less involved in the next original Zelda game (after Zelda U/NX). Time for some fresh new people in to develop Zelda games. Aonuma is gettin in years too. In 5-10 years he'll be at retirement age as well.
LOZ as a series can only move on when people like Miyamoto and Aonuma move on. I would add in Kondo as well. He's a grizzled veteran as well with Nintendo. Kondo really need to apprentice someone to take over the musical director role in new Zelda games.

I really am loking forward to the first original LoZ game that does not have Miyamoto, Aonuma and Kondo working on it at all in any way.
Kondo actually has taken a step back. With SS he only composed the intro piece. SS had an orchestrated soundtrack which was a step forward from the Midi soundtrack of TP however there were only a few memorable pieces of music in the game and overall in terms of soundtrack was not the series high point.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain

Aonuma himself has already moved on. That was his whole philosophy from the start with Zelda U.

Aonuma is likely going to retire after Zelda U. Aonuma always wanted to create a perfect game before he retired. If Zelda U is indeed that, then he will step down.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I think he an Aonuma should both step back, honestly, get another veteran of the series to take over, someone who both understands its roots, but recognizes what it has evolved into. I'm getting tired of forced innovation and gimmicks.

The series is moving with the grace of a tranquilized mule. It doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, what direction it wants to move in, and what it's identity is. The developers need to take a hard look at what Zelda is these days, what's made it successful in modern times (look to games like OoT and TP) and work in a way that allows the series to evolve, maintain the core ideas that has made it successful in modern times, but keep its roots as well.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I think he an Aonuma should both step back, honestly, get another veteran of the series to take over, someone who both understands its roots, but recognizes what it has evolved into. I'm getting tired of forced innovation and gimmicks.

The series is moving with the grace of a tranquilized mule. It doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, what direction it wants to move in, and what it's identity is. The developers need to take a hard look at what Zelda is these days, what's made it successful in modern times (look to games like OoT and TP) and work in a way that allows the series to evolve, maintain the core ideas that has made it successful in modern times, but keep its roots as well.
Nearly all of this was not on the account of Aonuma. It was nearly all Miyamoto as I have proved in the past.

Not only should he back off, the company needs to really start looking to their rotation. There are several people who would be well worth the investment if they were to be given the lead on a Zelda title, it would be a real chance to innovate. Unfortunately thanks to the deferential nature of the Japanese in general, and their corporate mentality in particular, notions like this tend to face insurmountable opposition, both tacit and overt.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Can someone explain what's the deal with Miyamoto. Is he just not as good as he use to be, or something? or...I don't know.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Can someone explain what's the deal with Miyamoto. Is he just not as good as he use to be, or something? or...I don't know.
It was because of Miyamoto that Skyward Sword was not as good as it could have been

http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/threads/skyward-sword-wasnt-aonumas-fault.56050/

Miyamoto single handedly destroyed the Paper Mario Series with his unnecessary involvement with Sticker Star(which was going to originally be a traditional paper Mario game like thousand year day). He has rifled many franchises with weird ideas, and hates story as seen with Star Fox Zero both being a retelling of Star a fox SNES but with weird control schemes. He refuses to make a new F-Zero because there "isn't a controller unique enough for the game". He has boggled down many Nintendo series in the past, due to his hubris and authority in all things Nintendo. When he doesn't get things his way he throws many temper tantrums in that he won't support projects if he doesn't like it, like when ALBW was going to be an original Zelda game.

Miyamoto has been doing countless things wrong for Nintendo's future.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
so what Zelda games did he have a big part in, and what games, if any, did he step back on so to speak?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom