• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Link Have More Than One Mode of Transport?

If the next home console Zelda game were to be larger and longer than Twilight Princess, would we be adversed to Link having more than one mode of travel?

For example having both nautical and locomotive travel in a single game or Epona and a Loftwing? Or would we all prefer one method of travel and stick with it?

Personally i'd like to have a choice of perhaps three different modes of optional transport as long as the three modes were implemented well and all felt unique to their respective functions. Land, sea and air travel have all been seen before now in Zelda games so why not a game with all three.

What do we think?

Last edited:
Personally i'd be happy to see something new alongside Epona, with Epona being the main type of travel.

Another idea could be regional types of travel :P say a giant frog for a swampy area or a mountain goat for a...mountain area :P Not sure if a flight method of travel should be used but that is mainly due to me not being impressed with the loftwing at all.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
In Twilight Princess they had numerous modes of transportation.

- Walking
- Riding Epona
- Running as Wolf Link
- Using the portal system
- Steering Iza's canoe once or twice (if that counts)
- Swimming
- Lastly, flying on that Twilit bird to go upriver to the Zora's Domain

The land of Hyrule was huge in Twilight Princess, and it utilized the most efficient methods to traverse it. There were scarcely any dead ends to them also, and if you stopped to think about it Zelda could use this as another feature to expand on its formula. Zelda has been about independence since game 1, whether of a great or small amount. Over the years it has opened the doors to new characteristics which pay tribute to the player's free will. From the legendary targeting system to the new gear-upgrades, it has shown that it can stay the same but still leave room for additional content.

Therefore I think it would be amazing if Nintendo changed up the order a bit more. Instead of sticking to a horse or Loftwing to reach every area, make it where you have to disembark from either animal due to an obstacle and get on another transportation. Majora's Mask accomplished this without a hitch, and in all four of its areas. In Southern Swamp Epona could only go as far as the water; from there you could just go on the boat cruise. The next two relied on the Goron and Zora masks to get things done, respectively. Only Ikana Canyon went on a pretty linear path that most Zelda games use of late. So in order to break linearity, producing more ways of nonlinearity (such as additional transportation methods) could begin a whole new direction and variety to the series.

Link needs more ways to teleport in spirit tracks ~_~ that games train system took forever to get from one play to another

Fig

The Altruist
If the next home console Zelda game were to be larger and longer than Twilight Princess, would we be adversed to Link having more than one mode of travel?

For example having both nautical and locomotive travel in a single game or Epona and a Loftwing? Or would we all prefer one method of travel and stick with it?

Personally i'd like to have a choice of perhaps three different modes of optional transport as long as the three modes were implemented well and all felt unique to their respective functions. Land, sea and air travel have all been seen before now in Zelda games so why not a game with all three.

What do we think?

I like your idea for this. Personally, I believe that there should be at 3 forms of transporation. Walking/running/sprinting/rolling is always going to be the major mode of transportation. Before Skyward Sword was officially released, I thought the game was going to have a form of Epona that wasn't Epona, know what I'm saying. I wanted a ground mode of transportation that wasn't a horse. Hopefully, Nintendo could make more forms of transportations as the series continues to grow.

Link needs more ways to teleport in spirit tracks ~_~ that games train system took forever to get from one play to another

I know right! I hated how it took so long to travel, even to a nearby destination. The portals only helped so much. Hopefully Nintendo makes a better portal system in future Zelda games.

I would like to see Epona as the main mode of transportation, and then a specific boat that we use to travel across water, if there is an ocean. That is what I would prefer, as long as Epona is the main transportation method.

Epona and Link's own two feet are good enough for me.
Zelda is supposed to be all about exploration, Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks completely got rid of that element with the stupid travel. Sailing was so boring in WW I would usually just point Link in the right direction then change the channel and watch TV for a bit because nothing would happen while sailing. You wouldn't even get attacked by enemies. PH travel wasn't as bad as WW but it was still kind of bad, but ST was even worse for putting me on rails!
Travel has no place in Zelda games.

I like the idea someone had for Epona and a ship. That would be cool, because you could keep Epona with you throughout (it would have to be a bigger ship definitely). But I wouldn't really want a Loftwing again, simply because it would kind of make the land mount moot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom