• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Link Have More Characterization or Should He Remain a Blank Slate?

So, Nintendo has told us that Link is so named because he's supposed to be a "link" to the players, a sort of avatar. That's why they try to keep his characterization at a minimum: we usually get very little or no backstory, not much personality, and of course, zero dialogue. This is all done with the purpose that Link can adapt to the players' personality, and so make us feel more like we are Link himself.

Do you think this "minimal characterization" strategy is effective in making you feel more like Link, as the developers intend? Or are you willing to sacrafice that for a more fleshed-out main character with a backstory and perhaps a more distinct personality? Please comment.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think the amount of emotion Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword brought out of Link is perfect for the series. He's designed to be a proxy, so giving him a lot of characterization isn't a good idea. Heavy expressions are fine, but they should be according to how we're supposed to feel at the time, which, again, TP and SS did perfectly. Just keep things the way they are, I say.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
That's why they try to keep his characterization at a minimum: we usually get very little or no backstory, not much personality, and of course, zero dialogue

I simply say Nintendo has failed in this regards. Not that a blank slate is bad for Personality, but that Link isn't a blank slate. Since OoT, pretty much every Link that I've observed has had a very distinct Personality. Some of them even meet cliches. OoT Link is a brave, energetic and helpful kid... albeit somewhat mischevious. WW Link is a lazy kid who is willing to get going when others are in trouble. TP Link is a responsible young adult with a firm sense of justice. SS Link is a lazy, but talented, young adult with the stereotype anime teenager reactions.

If Nintendo wants to bring back the blank slate thing, I don't have any problems with it, but I think many fans will because they've given us Links that were full of character for a long time now. Rather than focusing on making Link a "blank slate" they should put their energy on flushing out his Personality. I Personally loved what they did with TP Link, from how his village treated him, to how he reacted in situations.

elliotstriforce

trollin for booty
i feel if link was more characterized then playing the games would be a bit less inclusive. our imaginations would be tainted by whatever personality they decide to give link, we would feel less like the hero and more like the puppeteer.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I simply say Nintendo has failed in this regards. Not that a blank slate is bad for Personality, but that Link isn't a blank slate. Since OoT, pretty much every Link that I've observed has had a very distinct Personality. Some of them even meet cliches. OoT Link is a brave, energetic and helpful kid... albeit somewhat mischievous. WW Link is a lazy kid who is willing to get going when others are in trouble. TP Link is a responsible young adult with a firm sense of justice. SS Link is a lazy, but talented, young adult with the stereotypical anime teenager reactions.

If Nintendo wants to bring back the blank slate thing, I don't have any problems with it, but I think many fans will because they've given us Links that were full of character for a long time now. Rather than focusing on making Link a "blank slate" they should put their energy on flushing out his Personality. I Personally loved what they did with TP Link, from how his village treated him, to how he reacted in situations.

This really is the bulk of what I want to say. I don't really care what direction they take "Link" in anymore, as let's face it: modern Link is a distinct character in his own right. We even refer to the Link of TWW/PH as "TWW Link" not just to distinguish him from the plethora of Links that have lived since day one, but also to reference his deeds, behavior and life as it was. The same goes on to TP Link, ST Link, SS Link...so on and so forth.

If they did wash away all of the characterization for a true avatar (much like in LoZ), I wouldn't care because hey! Link has proven throughout the games that he's capable of holding his own, which is a bit of character in and of itself. ;)

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Link having characterization would be pointless. He is the way he is because Nintendo wanted him to be that way. He's like a puppet that we have control of and it's like we are the hero because we are Link.

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
To me it felt that the amount of emotion Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword brought out was perfect for Link. Link is supposed to be you so giving too much characterization wouldn't be the best idea.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I know I'm in the minority on this

images

Here's the characterization I want Link to have. You are looking into the eyes of a merciless, robotic killing machine.

The hero need not be good, he only need be willing to slay the worst evil.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I quite like Link as a blank slate but characterization isnt a a bad idea and it would actually work it just has to be done in proportions....

For example I think we should get to change links outfit! What I mainly mean is colour! I quite liked the way in OoT we got to have blue and red versions of the Hero's costumes, I would love a purple version similar to what was in four swords :) But overall I like Link the way he is I just wwished he would actually have a decent background for once :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom