• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Link Get a Plane?

Z

zelda-hyrule

i think it would be kind of silly seeing TOON LINK <3 flying a plane but a hanglider would be good but..............the boats and trains have things like cannons so what could be used on the hangglider :)

it lies in the future :) :) :) :) :)

If Link was to get a plane in an upcoming game, I don't think it should be something that he as access to constantly. Like the boat from WW/PH, Or the train from ST.

If they did implement a plane I think it would probably end up being (side)quest driven, and will only be a means to reach a dungeon or a town, or something along those lines. A lot like the canon that you have to rebuilt in TP. I can think of any other examples but the canon. Something along those lines though.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
My gut reaction is: Good God! No! That seems way too modern for me...but then again, I thought a train was too modern...

If Link flies in future games (and I think he will) here are the most likely options that I see:

1. Hot air balloon
2. Hang glider
3. A flying creature (a dragon, large bird...)
4. Magic

There is already precedent for all of these in the series, sorta.

1. Tingle floated about using a balloon, so maybe Link could
2. The Deku Leaf in WW was sort of like a glider
3. In TP you could catch a ride on that bird thing; in OoT the owl carried you about
4. In Zelda II you turned into a fairy; in WW you controlled the seagulls

My guess is that they are going to go with #3 for Zelda Wii.

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
I'm not sure but maybe a hand glider where he could shoot arrows or throw bombs while he's flying on it. But not like a huge plane with twin engines and all that because that kind of plane is just weird. I liked the train in Spirit Tracks but I didn't like the boat as much. Bu with a glider, that idea is like the Deku Leaf but the glider is the only way to travel to places and you could also use it in dungeons to solve puzzles.

TVTMaster

Guy What's Angry Now
Yeah, you can give Link whatever flying plot device he needs, but the real issue is how it will affect exploration. My earlier post aside, the main way to deal with this would be requiring wind to operate it (thus preventing use in dungeons) and keeping most secrets either underground, beneath a dense canopy, or in areas that cannot be readily navigated by whatever large device Link uses. I wouldn't want landing to be restricted except in places where it explicitly needs to be sealed off- ST and PH proved that ports and stations don't really help exploration. Rather, the plane (or whatever) should be able to access any point that isn't deliberately sealed off to it. Strong winds, storms, no winds, thick clouds, or other meteorological phenomenon can be used to seal off entire sections of the map to air travel, and small areas can, again, be underground or in a forest or something.

G

GerudoRose

If it's fantasy, why can Link have a dragon as his noble steed? I mean it will be different from Epona for a change (though I love that horse!!!) and he had other steeds that were either a Kangaroo or a buffalo in previous games. The dragon would not have look like a stereotypical fire-breathing reptile. I picture the dragon similar to Falkor, the friendly dragon from the Neverending story movie. The design of the dragon can even resemble like Link's boat in the game the Windwaker, "King of the Red Lions". With a dragon as your steed, temples and dungeons could take place high in the mountains, islands, or a "City in the Sky." The main villian can be in the form of a giant bat or as the Helmaroc King. Planes are pretty cool but a dragon as your steed could be awesome, plus it could fly.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
If it's fantasy, why can Link have a dragon as his noble steed? I mean it will be different from Epona for a change (though I love that horse!!!) and he had other steeds that were either a Kangaroo or a buffalo in previous games. The dragon would not have look like a stereotypical fire-breathing reptile. I picture the dragon similar to Falkor, the friendly dragon from the Neverending story movie. The design of the dragon can even resemble like Link's boat in the game the Windwaker, "King of the Red Lions". With a dragon as your steed, temples and dungeons could take place high in the mountains, islands, or a "City in the Sky." The main villian can be in the form of a giant bat or as the Helmaroc King. Planes are pretty cool but a dragon as your steed could be awesome, plus it could fly.

I agree with this completely, and think that Nintendo is thinking along the same lines (Aonuma hinted, very tangentially, that there may be flying in the upcoming Zelda Wii.

Plus! I think that there could be some cool possibilities for aerial combat...fighting on horseback is fun, I think slinging arrows at enemies in mid air and bombing targets on the ground could be pretty sweet.

Austin

Austin
A use of a plane.. hmm.. I think not or at least in my opinion. If we're going with that approach, we might as well switch bow and arrow with firearms. However, the idea of flight isn't bad nor out of question.

One method I can think of is a bird/flying companion. In previous games if you played the flute/ocarina of time a bird came and swooped you up. It pretty much acted like a teleportation device, but making it controllable instead would be fun.

Another is a hot air balloon. You see one in ST, and thus wouldn't to much out of question. Another factor they can add is wind control. A combination of wind control, and flight would make for a new excellent game.

Hey, Tingle flew by balloon all the way back in Majora's Mask. (Though I did feel like Termina was more technologically advanced than Hyrule, but...)

As for the plane, I agree with what TVTMaster said. But for me the biggest issue is the too-much-technology issue. Take Spirit Tracks: I liked the fact that, while the train itself was somewhat-ambiguously steam-powered, the Spirit Tracks themselves were magical. My problem was that except for appearing and disappearing in response to magic maps and Force Gems, they didn't look magic.

(Okay, Spirit Tracks was a couple centuries after OoT, but then I in my perpetual opinionatedness (er, opinionation? uh...) would just say that's the flaw in spacing the games centuries apart: It forces them out of their traditional medieval setting. Pretty soon, you'll be seeing either five and six split timelines or else WWI-era Zelda. Thanks, no.)

So what I would do, if I were Nintendo, would be to give Link something like an upgraded Deku Leaf (I have a mental image of the gliders from Nickelodeon's Avatar, but that's just me) and let it control like a plane, but don't go using airplane-y terminology or sound effects. Calling Link an "engineer," having the train make quasi-realistic chugging sounds, putting quasi-realistic signs near the switch locations and having a quasi-realistic warning bell... It just pulled me out of the Zelda setting until I got used to it.

That all said, I did get used to it. So while I wouldn't like a straight airplane, it wouldn't ruin the game for me.

Also, this just off the top of my head: Epona gets upgraded with wings? That'd be plenty magical! ;)

G

GerudoRose

I agree with this completely, and think that Nintendo is thinking along the same lines (Aonuma hinted, very tangentially, that there may be flying in the upcoming Zelda Wii.

Plus! I think that there could be some cool possibilities for aerial combat...fighting on horseback is fun, I think slinging arrows at enemies in mid air and bombing targets on the ground could be pretty sweet.

Aonuma hinted about that did he??? thats COOL. where did you read that from? I would like to see it. :clap:

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Aonuma hinted about that did he??? thats COOL. where did you read that from? I would like to see it. :clap:

Here is the quote:

"I have an eight-year-old son myself at home, and quite recently he started playing The Phantom Hourglass for DS, because when the software first hit the market he was too young. When he started playing with the boat, I told him: 'In the next Zelda, you are going to be able to ride on the train.' He answered: 'OK, Dad, first boat, and then train? Surely next time, Link is going to fly in the sky ... '"

Aonuma pauses, grinning. "I just don't know. If many people make many speculations ... some of them might be correct. Right now, I have to refrain from commenting on anything."

That is from a November 25, 2009 article in The Guardian

bellum

Gamer since age 2
I think a plane wouldn't be a very good idea. If you wanted to have something that involves flying, I think there should be something other than a plane. We've already flown in a zelda game, which happens to be Twilight Princess. In Twilight Princess we flew on the Shadow Kargorok in the Twilight. I think bringing back a flying concept like the one from Twilight Princess would be good but not something as modern as a plane.

It's bad enough land vehicles. A plane defiently isn't a good idea, IMO. Perhaps some kind of magic or a creature, but a plane? No, I don't think so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom