• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Link Get a Plane?

Anubis

The most inactive active
A plane would be funny, but only Link has one. For example story line (beggining) Link and Zelda goes to the market or something suddenly a giant airship or something like that come and Zelda gets kidnapped and Link meets some proffesor or scientist that have crazy thoughts about a ''mechanical bird'' (plane) and Link tells him 'bout the princess being kidnapped he shows Link the plane and woopidoo new adventure!! :D

L

LunarWolf

he already sorta flies/glides in Wind waker, wat with the little leaf thing. so......yeah. no point.

TVTMaster

Guy What's Angry Now
The main problem with adding a plane would be how to restrict absolute freedom to go wherever you want- a plane generally defeats exploration by letting you skip to wherever. So that general logistic problem- how to have a free-moving plane with a restricted world- makes for the biggest obstacle. One way to solve this would be a fuel limit that increases as you progress, like the Sand of Hours, but PH already showed that's a bad idea, and anyway you'd need to have an unrealistic radial world map to accommodate progression with the plane. Another way would be to restrict landing sites, but I hate that idea just for the way that similarly defeats exploration by virtue of having seen it already in PH.

I do have one idea, though- it's kind of specific, and not really a plane, but it kind of immediately lends itself to a story by itself. Link would have some sort of magic flight- either a pair of seraph wings or something (imagine a Rito Mask, or something), or perhaps a magical flying mount. Either way, said transportation is averse to evil power, which has covered significant portions of the overworld. By completing the main plot in these areas on foot, Link can purify the land à la Okami, allowing flight to be used. Flying would allow Link to access much more of that area, and allow him to perform sidequests or trigger plot events that lead to the ability to access a new area on foot, purifying it and opening it up to flight travel. By essentially making Link explore the main areas on foot before opening them to flight, progression can be handled easily while still providing full aerial freedom of movement. Think TP's twilight segments- you can't explore much of it without items, but once you've purified it, exploration in that area opens up significantly. Obviously, there wouldn't be nearly as much restriction from foot to flight as there was from wolf to man, but you'd still be able to explore more once you've explored on foot.

Oh and by the way guys my sisters are watching "the A-team" right behind me and hot damn this is the most asinine stuff I have ever seen in my life. Fugitive mercenaries are making cheeseburgers while a pilot does bad celebrity impressions and it makes NO SENSE and I'm confused just being in the same room.

CZG

I don't think a plane fits well in the time where the adventures take place, whenever that me be....
Maybe a zeppelin or an airship like FFV? Something a bit older that a 747, you know!

A horse and/or a flute, total winner!
A boat or a train? Quite cool?
A plane????? Oh boy!

I was quite surprised to find a phone in LA... I thought it was something a bit too new.

Xixor

Warrior of the Past
Actually, I was dissapointed when Link got a train, but maybe if the WW, PH, ST story kept going, Link could get a bi-plane of sorts.

Only if its an old style plane, not some kind of modernized jet. I couldnt see it happening though, cause i see the Zelda Wii going back in time.

D

Dark Iz Here

If Link ever gets a plane I am going to ask Miyamoto if they plan on giving him a Thompson and some hand grenades.

hmmmm... that would be cool... but, I could just imagine that rabbit land guy from Spirit Tracks saying, "Do a Barrel roll!" (Press Z or R twice)

Kazumi

chagy
I would really, really love Nintendo if they put a plane in the next Zelda game. I think it would be a really good idea.

And actually, not that long ago, there was an interview with Aonuma, and he said that when his son first played Spirit Tracks that he said "First a boat, and now a train. What's next, a plane?" And Aonuma said that he didn't really know. And said maybe. So, putting a plane in a future Zelda game is a possibility. Interesting, eh?

I would rather have a plane in a Zelda for Wii, or a future Nintendo console, rather then a DS, or on a future hand held title. If they were to put it on a console Zelda, I would prefer it to be a future console. This is mostly because of how powerful it would be. It would need to be a massive overworld, but you would still be able to walk of course. But you'd want to take the plane, because it would be so far, it would take forever to walk. And you'd be able to get a whole bunch of upgrades for it, and maybe carry passengers and cargo, taking a cue from Spirit Tracks.

Of course, it would not be a extremely futuristic plane. Not an F 117 Night Hawk, for example. The Steam Boat and Steam Train really are not far behind the first planes. And that's the kind of plane I am imagining. But I don't think an SMG is really necessary. Remember, the technology in Zelda is allowed to be a bit messed up. That's not to say I wouldn't like say, a Fire Arrow Turret..

Back tracking a little, that's not to say I would not also like a DS Zelda with a plane. Or on any future hand held. I would actually prefer it on the current console this time. It would follow Spirit Tracks, and take place in New Hyrule. Or something. Maybe in a neighboring country or something. And it would work much like the Train and Boat, where there isn't really an overworld, it's just traveling between "stations". I'm imagining an industrialized, kind of "air ship centered" age. If you know what I mean. Kind of mechanical, but not really like it was at the time of planes. Maybe with air stations and things like that. I don't know.

And this theoretical DS Zelda would be the last part of the "Transportation Trilogy". You know. First the Boat, then the Train, and lastly, the Plane. Of course they could make it like the train and boat, with the cannon and stuff. But I'd like it to be free roaming, not on Tracks. More like PH was. And most importantly, Nintendo would have to make the game very fun, and try to make it as different as possible from PH and ST. Much like they did with ST. Of course this would be to avoid making the game a repeat of PH and ST, and make people think it was a cheap cash in, trying to draw attention to the DS when it was on it's last legs.

Really, I do not see a Zelda with a Plane that far off. It just seems like something Nintendo would do. I'm sure most people would freak out about it. The same way that they did with the Train before Spirit Tracks was released, but I trust that in the end everyone would love it. And to sum it all up:

Yes. I think that Link should get a plane.

V

vickman17

if link gets a plane with proppellers or a plane of any sort that will be the end of zelda for me I could deal with the train but i wont be able to deal with a plane.If he flies id prefer it to on some kind of creature nothing motorized even an air ship like in ff would be weird..

C

CigarSmoker

maybe a bi wing plane or something like the Wright Brothers Flyer or turn link into a dragon and bring Minda back

Flagpole

I'm back!!
I don't want people to get angry with me, but I wouldn't like to see people playing Zelda with a plane...

Of course, this isn't because it would be to much technology...

If people could just go on a plane skipping a bunch of places, it wouldn't have a Zelda feel to it.
One of the most important things about the Zelda games is the fact you can explore the overworld.

If you could go on a plane without any limits and skipping many places, you woudln't be exploring, you would be skipping.

Of course, you could walk to a certain place, then travel to that place with your plane every time you want, though it would be easier to have ye olde Ocarina of Time to learn songs to travel to that certain place.

A plane would only 'hurt' the Zelda series if you can basically skip places, and if the plane is to advanced...
Other than that, I don't find any problem with it.

V

vickman17

I don't want people to get angry with me, but I wouldn't like to see people playing Zelda with a plane...

Of course, this isn't because it would be to much technology...

If people could just go on a plane skipping a bunch of places, it wouldn't have a Zelda feel to it.
One of the most important things about the Zelda games is the fact you can explore the overworld.

If you could go on a plane without any limits and skipping many places, you woudln't be exploring, you would be skipping.

Of course, you could walk to a certain place, then travel to that place with your plane every time you want, though it would be easier to have ye olde Ocarina of Time to learn songs to travel to that certain place.

A plane would only 'hurt' the Zelda series if you can basically skip places, and if the plane is to advanced...
Other than that, I don't find any problem with it.

I totally agree with you if there were a plane nobody would ever want to go on foot and explore everybody would just fly around all the time and it would make it feel like a totally different game.

K

kevin64811

no! i think it should have like a magical dragon or like a floating leaf or something

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom