• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Link Get a Plane?

G

Gon-Gorooon

By now, Zelda games had boats & trains, so why not a plane? It doesn't have to be a full-fledged plane, but perhaps a hang glider.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
You know I can just see him bombing Ganon's tower in a plane. The mental image is hilarious! But actually I think he should get one only if it is reasonably explained (like not being mechanically powered like real planes but magically powered) and if Nintendo manages to do as well as they did with the train (I know I haven't played it but I've seen and read too much/enough).

i don't think i'd like that. its too modern for zelda. maybe a hot air balloon. that would be waay better because there was already one in spirit tracks, so we know nentendo will be able to make it work.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
There is only one thing I have to say to this: NO. I do not want to see Link getting into aviation. I've already had to deal with steam ships and train engineering, but aviation would be going too far. If you were to have that, you might as well have a SMG on the plane! No, arrows wouldn't count. It would be at that rate in which arrows should have been obsolete.

This is where I go back to why Zelda shouldn't take place in the modern era and still take place in the fantasy world of limited technology. Plus, I doubt there can be such a thing as a steam-powered plane. ;)

T

travisback

maybe, i really dont like the idea of the train to begin with, though itll be fun it just doesnt make sense really.

Zarom

The King
I don't want to see a plane in a Zelda game in the future, it would be too modern. A steem boat is okay, and now a train is okay too, but the plane is really too modern. Some sort of flying thing like the Deku Leaf in WW, Tingle's ballon or the Deku Flowers in MM would be great tough.

And what could we Link do with a plane anyway? At least there are only cities in the sky, there is no point to have a plane. A boat is to travel between island on the sea while a train is to travel everywhere on land. But a plane?...

I really have to say no.

First off, a plane is worlds apart from a boat or train. Completely different methods of engineering, different concepts, different level of technology. To compare it to the boats and train of the series is a bad idea, IMO.

That said, it wouldn't really work. There's no "low-tech" method of implementing a plane that I can think of. Sure, you've got magic, but that doesn't sound like it could work that well or make much sense. And I really do not feel that high-tech is where the series should go. Sure, Aonuma said they'll do whatever feels right for the series, but high-tech really wouldn't feel right, trust me.

And finally, it would add flight to the game. For me at least, no matter how you present it, full-on, high-altitude flight gameplay without any restrictions is a bad move for the series and wouldn't fit, feel right, or make sense. One way or the other I think it would definitely disrupt things, to the point where it doesn't feel much like Zelda anymore and more like something else. This would be greatly lessened and would probably be tolerable if it was implemented in small amounts, preserving the overall feel of the game. But even in those cases those short flying moments would likely seem weird and out of place, and would disrupt the game.

This is just my opinion, of course. But if they were ever to do it, I'm fairly certain most would find themselves agreeing with me.

He should get an F 117 Night Hawk.
:xd:

And what could we Link do with a plane anyway? At least there are only cities in the sky, there is no point to have a plane. A boat is to travel between island on the sea while a train is to travel everywhere on land. But a plane?...
You raise a good point, Zeiram. It wouldn't really add much of anything to the game aside from pointless additions to the gameplay and speedy travel, which was always handled by warping anyway.

Megamannt125

Blue Link
Sure why not, Spirit Tracks pretty much converted me to not thinking technology in Zelda games is a bad idea, i'd imagine it'd be the first kind of planes and not anything fancy, maybe have different towns have landing pads, and of course the plane would have a cannon on it. I couldn't imagine it for Zelda Wii, but hey maybe the next DS game.

I wouldn't count a plane out of the equation seeing as how things have went so far. Spirit Tracks, I didn't worry about. New technology in the Zelda series has always been around, its just been in different things like house design or weapons that Link has, and no one has really cared about any of that. Actually, the amount of technology that the Zelda series has already is pretty advanced, even by our standards. Gamers seem to take notice to vehicles especially in the series, probably because they are closer to what we recognize as technology and advancements, based on our own world. One thing to remember though is that its Zelda, and it doesn't take place on our world. Even if the series went way into the future, or into space or something, there would still be a bow and arrow, a sword and shield, some rupees laying around, castles, princesses, heroes who look the same as the last hero, etc. No matter what Zelda does its always going to have these key elements that make it feel more like a Zelda game than anything else. Phantom Hourglass didn't feel "advanced" in technology; it just sucked. The game was bad so people probably thought that the steam-engine boat was what did that, but I think Spirit Tracks proves that theory very wrong. ST felt very much like a Zelda game to me and as long as its got a good story going on, that's all that is important.

So, don't be too afraid of a plane in the future. There was already a hot-air balloon that Beadle rode around in, so its not like they are avoiding aircraft. I think its possible and I'm not going to say that I want or don't want it, because frankly its not a big concern of mine. If they have one, then its still got a big chance of being a good game because its Zelda.

No I hate the idea of there being plane's in the Zelda series.
I think that having a plane would destroy that fantasy feeling that Zelda has. Plane's are just too realistic for a series like Zelda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom