• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Should Link Die?

Should Link Die in a new Zelda Game?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Unsure

• Total voters

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Well, I suppose the second quest could count, but really in a Zelda game you can already explore and experience the entire game before you go the final boss. I guess it wouldn't have much of an impact, but I do like to beat the final boss first. Then I go back to sidequest on the existing save file.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
It's no the end. He's still got other timelines and future reincarnations to keep him going. This would just be an epic moment. The series shall always go on.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
You know, despite creating fanfictions where this kind of thing is a part of the plot (my Ganondorf-centric game scenario has an invetible ending, for instance), I never thought Nintendo would actually do anything of this nature, seeing that Link is a much-beloved and iconic character, as well as a player-avatar... (He has become something of his own character, especially in latter games, but he's still a character that you can re-name, so he's still meant to "link" to you)...

But then... Hyrule Historia. The three-way Timeline.

NINTENDO HAS KILLED LINK AS PART OF CANON!

Sure, they made the Hero of Time a kind of "Schrodinger's Link" depending upon the Timeline branch / divergent universe, so he's "only mostly dead" and the player doesn't see anything after a personal Game Over (when you play Ocarina of Time, you are meant to pretty much play through / to the Child Story Timeline). Still, I was shocked that they made a "Hero dies" scenario part of canon!

So, if Nintendo did it within a game as a part of the story for a particular "era" (knowing that they can bring the iconic "Link" archetype back as another young man in another game on another quest), it actually wouldn't surprise me now.

They had the guts to kill Link as part of the ur-mythos, so killing him in a game? Bring it on. (Just as long as they do it well and make it beautiful).

Alex

~TLoZ Veteran~
If Link dies... I would cry... No joke. Perhaps in the future, (not the upcoming zelda games) sometime Link could die in a game... But hopefully not soon. :C

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
How frustrating is it when you die in the midst of a battle, and don't have a fairy to save you? How much more so when you know he was on his last-legs as well? How humiliating is it when you die to something that by all rights shouldn't have killed you, but by your mis-step you somehow managed? How does it feel when you've charged Link into a dungeon and he's in way over his head, too far to escape?

He dies all the time. Why are you asking this?

Dying as part of the story would be stupid, and no, I wouldn't feel anywhere as emotional over it as I would annoyed. As part of a solo adventure, losing the one character you play as is not something Zelda could pull off well, and the set-back would be off-putting. Frankly I don't think the series could even pull off permanent death unless the character you come across is already a ghost. If they could pull off a good side-character death (that sticks) then yes that would be emotional and would make for a great plot development. But the focal character you play as? There'd have to be one hell of an epic transition for the new focal character's arrival to not stop me playing. Not something I think Nintendo can pull off.

If you really want to see a main character killed off permanently, try Fire Emblem. From what I hear, all the deaths stick.

The whole point of a video game is to win. Link dying would essentially mean a game that cannot be won. I know I'd be pissed if I played through an entire Zelda game (which keep getting longer and longer), beat the final boss and a cutscene shows that the hours and days and weeks of playing were for nil.

Please, nothing like Aeris. That's the sole reason I refuse to play FF7, imagine spending all that time leveling up a character, then they die for the sake of the story. Would piss you off, don't you think?

Your two ideas are epic and bittersweet. But both of them would make me feel guilty for finishing the game. Finish the game = send the hero to his death. And that would probably make me cry buckets...when I thought Spyro died at the end of Dawn of the Dragon, I bawled. True story.

I voted unsure, but now I'm leaning more toward no...Oh, and he does kinda die canonically. The OoT failure timeline split...

I actually have to debate this saying in the bold because there is no evidence that he dies. It just says he is defeated and as we see in TWW ganondorf knocks link silly and raises him to the sky and takes the triforce of courage without having to kill him. Plus ALTTP Link is somehow related to OOT link.

As with that said I think if they killed Link this would leave a great oppurtunity for Zelda to shine as a character and you should finsish the game as her or something even if it is only at the final boss

\As with that said I think if they killed Link this would leave a great oppurtunity for Zelda to shine as a character and you should finsish the game as her or something even if it is only at the final boss

Zelda is divine--a descendant of the old gods. If the gods could save Hyrule themselves, they wouldn't need a mortal. They divided the Triforce for a very specific reason and chose Link as the mortal hero and possessor of the Triforce of Courage. If he dies, the Triforce is no longer complete, making it impossible for Zelda or anyone else to save Hyrule. Hyrule falls. The end.

Last edited:

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I would want a Zelda game in which Link dies at the end, but only if it's in a self-sacrificing manner, as in it's his last act of living in order to ensure the safety of Hyrule. I wouldn't want him to die directly at the hands of the enemies, or in a cheap way like with Aeris. I would want to be the one directly in control and voluntarily give my life for others; it's a videogame, after all.

The idea I've been tossing around is this: Link goes against the big baddie and defeats him in battle, just like in every other game. However, instead of the final battle taking place in his fortress like almost every other villain, it's taking place next to some doomsday device or something of that same manner. Have it be the goal of the game to stop the villain from setting this device off (maybe have it being alluded to throughout the game but reveal the true nature of it sometime during the latter half so it doesn't just come out of nowhere). Have us defeat him just like we normally do, but in his last moment he ends up doing the very thing we've been fighting to stop (or maybe have it be to where his death sets off the bomb). Now the only option left is to get that thing out of Hyrule itself. No cutscene where it's force-fed to us, not even any dialogue explaining it, just stunned faces from everyone involved. The only thing that would hint at the right option is this: throughout the game you're able to use some means of transportation to lift heavy objects and fly around (if Nintendo wants to put a form of transportation in a Zelda game again, that is), so as you're staring in abject horror at the doomsday device you notice a latch on top and an open tunnel leading outside. You notice it, but you don't want to think that's seriously what the game wants you to do. So you try everything else in your inventory but don't put so much as a scratch on the bomb; it just keeps ticking down. Finally you're forced to face the fact that you need to pick it up and fly it out of Hyrule yourself, sacrificing yourself in the process (think the ending of Dark Knight Rises but without Bruce Wayne coming back). You've done the thing no one else can do; sacrifice yourself for the survival of the land itself.

I think that's a good idea.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
When I think about it, Nintendo really did never say "die" when it came to OoT Link being "defeated" in the third branch Timeline, but... I actually can think of NO OTHER WAY it would have went down! When you're going up against Ganondorf/Ganon in that, Link is pretty much prepared for a fight to the death and Ganon is... let's face it, in his young glory-days of slaughter and mayhem. He's not shy of killing - killing the king, the Great Deku Tree... executing Gorons by dragon... I figure the "Defeat Timeline" is supposed to be what you imagine when you get a Game Over during the Ganondorf or Ganon fight. DEATH!

Otherwise, it would be a fate worse than death for Link. I actually wrote a fanfic about that... Link lingering on until an eventual death (my scenario being much more excessively nasty that Nintendo would ever do). Even if he had a "gentle way" - sent off to go live with the peasants or something, do you think it' going to be easy for him? This is LINK. He will fight until hi last breath to stop Ganondorf and retake Hyrule. Though Nintendo may be pulling a "never say die!" ala children's cartoons of the 80s did to shield the fragile minds of players attatched to him, we all know what happened. It really is the only outcome that make a lick of sense.

As for games where the hero/protagonist of the story has an ill fate and you feel guilty for completing the game? Try Shadow of the Colossus. - Although that game involves a little guilt throughout playing it, and is beautiful for it. I won't give away the ending, it's... kind of bizarre, actually, but the entire game is a tragedy - in the very best and most beautiful of ways.

I would want a Zelda game in which Link dies at the end, but only if it's in a self-sacrificing manner, as in it's his last act of living in order to ensure the safety of Hyrule. I wouldn't want him to die directly at the hands of the enemies, or in a cheap way like with Aeris. I would want to be the one directly in control and voluntarily give my life for others; it's a videogame, after all.

The idea I've been tossing around is this: Link goes against the big baddie and defeats him in battle, just like in every other game. However, instead of the final battle taking place in his fortress like almost every other villain, it's taking place next to some doomsday device or something of that same manner. Have it be the goal of the game to stop the villain from setting this device off (maybe have it being alluded to throughout the game but reveal the true nature of it sometime during the latter half so it doesn't just come out of nowhere). Have us defeat him just like we normally do, but in his last moment he ends up doing the very thing we've been fighting to stop (or maybe have it be to where his death sets off the bomb). Now the only option left is to get that thing out of Hyrule itself. No cutscene where it's force-fed to us, not even any dialogue explaining it, just stunned faces from everyone involved. The only thing that would hint at the right option is this: throughout the game you're able to use some means of transportation to lift heavy objects and fly around (if Nintendo wants to put a form of transportation in a Zelda game again, that is), so as you're staring in abject horror at the doomsday device you notice a latch on top and an open tunnel leading outside. You notice it, but you don't want to think that's seriously what the game wants you to do. So you try everything else in your inventory but don't put so much as a scratch on the bomb; it just keeps ticking down. Finally you're forced to face the fact that you need to pick it up and fly it out of Hyrule yourself, sacrificing yourself in the process (think the ending of Dark Knight Rises but without Bruce Wayne coming back). You've done the thing no one else can do; sacrifice yourself for the survival of the land itself.

I think that's a good idea.

If done in-game, I'm not sure I'd like an off-screen death like this. It's too ambiguous - perhaps even more than the after-the-fact Hyrule Historia decision. I think I'd like to see the ultimate Game Over - have a cutscene in which we watch him sacrifice himself for Hyrule and know that's what happened. Perhaps we cut to Lady Zelda dedicating a memorial statue and/or a scene in which Link comes to her in spirit-form to say a last goodbye. Perhaps there's a line about the eventual rebirth of the Hero's Spirit when Hyrule needs him again.

Or maybe something like this - there's a group of children being led through the palace garden by an aged teacher and he's explaining how the Hero (Link) gave his life to save the land and this is the statue commemrating his courage. One little boy steps out of the crowd, looking up in awe at the statue. He's got blond hair, blue eye, distinctive green clothing and a little toy wooden sword...

Last edited:

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
If done in-game, I'm not sure I'd like an off-screen death like this. It's too ambiguous - perhaps even more than the after-the-fact Hyrule Historia decision. I think I'd like to see the ultimate Game Over - have a cutscene in which we watch him sacrifice himself for Hyrule and know that's what happened. Perhaps we cut to Lady Zelda dedicating a memorial statue and/or a scene in which Link comes to her in spirit-form to say a last goodbye. Perhaps there's a line about the eventual rebirth of the Hero's Spirit when Hyrule needs him again.

Or maybe something like this - there's a group of children being led through the palace garden by an aged teacher and he's explaining how the Hero (Link) gave his life to save the land and this is the statue commemrating his courage. One little boy steps out of the crowd, looking up in awe at the statue. He's got blond hair, blue eye, distinctive green clothing and a little toy wooden sword...

Actually, I meant it to be an on-screen death; not implied that he died, but rather that you're fully in control as you're flying out of Hyrule, and you see the bomb go off and he dies under no uncertain terms. (I guess the DKR analogy kinda fell apart right there...)

As to the rest of this; yes, totally yes. I want to see the after-effects of this sacrifice, and everything you said fits perfectly.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
The whole point of a video game is to win. Link dying would essentially mean a game that cannot be won. I know I'd be pissed if I played through an entire Zelda game (which keep getting longer and longer), beat the final boss and a cutscene shows that the hours and days and weeks of playing were for nil.

I agree with linkerbelle. I'd be really mad if Link died at the end of the game. What would be the point of the game if the hero dies at the end?

The only way I could see Link die is if it was a heroic sacrifice with a bittersweet and hopeful ending. Like if Link defeats villain and saves Hyrule from destruction, but is mortally wounded in the process and dies. The people will honor him for his deeds while Zelda will mourn her fallen hero and ensures that his spirit will live on and return as a new hero generations later just as the heroes before him had done. If Nintendo could pull off the Hero Dies Ending in good manner, I'm all for it. But for now, I believe that Link shouldn't die in a new game because the player would like to see the hero earn a happy ending for his hardships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom