• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Should Legend of Zelda Be Remade?

J

J.Hazellief

Should The Legend of Zelda be re-amped in modern times?

A thought by Jason E. Hazellief

Been thinking about some games that have been remade lately and Zelda had crossed my mind. As much as it has gone though, it hasn't really changed it's setting. Yeah Zelda changed by going over seas(Wind Waker) and having the village in the Sky(Skyward sword) but the time hasn't really changed. Then it hit me. Why not have it in modern time? Would that even be possible? After much time spent thinking about it, I think it is possible if done right and carefully.

But before one could even throw poor Link into the fray of modern times, one needs to think about what would change. For one, should link finally talk instead of just stare? What would his clothes look like? Would he stick with his sword or pick up a gun? Should He have a partner like before?

One could go on about the possibles,but my thoughts focus on just a few things. My first thought is about if link would talk. It would be a double edge sword. on one hand it would shock and aw a lot of people as well as bring in new people to the franchise. Then again it might make long time fans hate it and think twice about buying another Zelda game. I think it would be worth it if Link did talk.

Secondly, is Links weapon choice. I don't think I could see Link ever using anything other then his sword and bow, but that's just me. Links' primary weapon has always been the Master Sword. Sure he could pick up a gun, but that just might shatter the minds of die-hard fans. Should Nintendo choose to give him a gun I hope they keep in mind it would also be very risky.

I could list all the thoughts I have about this whole idea, but here is my main premise:
• Link is reborn in a modern time.
•When Link sleeps he would dream of his past lives and dismiss them as crazy dreams.
•Later during the day he would go to a range and shoot his bow.
•Shooting the bow would have been a hobby he started since he was little.
•After a few shots a man would walk up to Link and compliment his shooting.(old man being Kaepora Gaebora)
•That would be the beginning of the game.

I have a pretty firm grasp on how this idea would work. I'm putting this up so I can get an honest opinion about how everyone feels about it. Very open to suggestions. Thanks for viewing!!!

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
No, Zelda's always had a medieval sort of setting. Bringing it into modern times wouldn't make it Zelda anymore. Unless you were talking about what today would be like if we didn't have technology, then I guess. But I just don't think Nintendo should make a modern day Zelda game.
:wynaut:

Din Akera

Sniper
But before one could even throw poor Link into the fray of modern times, one needs to think about what would change. For one, should link finally talk instead of just stare? What would his clothes look like? Would he stick with his sword or pick up a gun? Should He have a partner like before?

You realize you are talking about changing huge staples of the series. The game you are describing here doesn't sound like a Zelda game to me. Yeah it might be a fun game but the name Link is about the only think that makes it a Zelda game if you change all these things you have listed.

I think it would be extremely difficult to change Zelda from the medieval time period without loosing the heart of the game. I personally, have no interest in it changing at all. I love the medieval time period and the fantasy characters, enemies, and places. If you moved it up to modern but tried to keep the fantasy aspect, then it has become a sic-fi game, or if you remove both the time period and the fantasy then you have a shooter game. To me, neither of these things would make a good Zelda game. In my opinion, the medieval fantasy adventure genre is the heart of the Zelda franchise and taking that away will crush it.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I doubt these changes could apply to ZeldaU...but maybe another Wii U Zelda down the line?

Gameplay problems from modern Zelda aside, I do believe the general environment should be changed. Thrusting Link into a time analogous to current day real-life technology could prove to be quite the game changer. Or, putting him in a seafaring situation like the European 1600s would be a nice break from the norm.

The story really needs to stop being the generic "hero vs villain" thing. It worked for OoT because OoT had things to back it up such as being a brand new 3D game. It worked for LoZ because LoZ is horribly restricted due to the hardware. It worked for ALttP because...of LoZ's reason as well as OoT's reasoning of having other things to back it up. But, by TWW, the story format simply got old. Rather than do the generic hero vs villain, I propose Nintendo introduces some deep themes such as the true meaning of insanity, society versus the individual, et cetera. Give us some butter on our plain toast, you know? There are multiple other themes that Nintendo could introduce, and they don't have to be heavy so much as present.

As for gameplay, yes please change Link up. Forgo the sword in favor of the bow if need be; make the (wo)man an archer or something. Please, just keep us from the generic gameplay - it isn't interesting and it's terribly barebones for me. :(

Just a heads up to everyone: Zelda is a fantasy series, not a medieval one.

J

J.Hazellief

I have read all of what everyone has said so far and think i may have to add in some facts. at this time im at work but i will make another post on my thoughts a little later on the matter.:walk:

Rather than do the generic hero vs villain, I propose Nintendo introduces some deep themes such as the true meaning of insanity

Vaas.jpg

Just a heads up to everyone: Zelda is a fantasy series, not a medieval one.

Exactly. The Legend of Zelda just happens to be set in a medieval world, but the whole point was for it to be a fantasy, not just a story based on the Middle Ages. Actually, when you think about it, Zelda has swapped settings all the time - still generally in the medieval genre, but we can't deny the games have crossed all kinds of boundaries. From sailing across oceans to soaring through the skies to Irish-based environments to Chinese-based environments to technology way ahead of even our time, Zelda has tried its hand at all kinds of settings. Transitioning to a modern era is not nearly so drastic as the average Zelda fan makes it out to be. It is drastic, yes, but not world-shakingly so. Being medieval is not a core value of Zelda when we get to the heart of the matter: Zelda is actually well-known for being very malleable with its stories and settings.

I also don't think Zelda being set with modern technology opens up all the story and gameplay cans of worms everyone seems to think it will. Final Fantasy is very frequently set in modern or futuristic eras, but still retains emphases on swordplay, exploration (well, somewhat...), and character development. If anything, modern Zelda is a grand opportunity and a fresh new start, not a step backward. What sorts of dungeons and items can we create using modern technology? What does Hyrule look like? The Zelda fanbase would kick and scream all the way to the release date if this sort of game was announced, but I don't think it has to be the end of the Zelda world. There are plenty of good ideas that can be used with the premise.

I'd rather Zelda stay where it is in terms of setting, soemthing modern day would be interesting but would smack too much of fanfiction, wouldnt be fantastical enough and wouldnt be a very fun interactive experience in my head.

Technologically advancing hyrule would be alright, the rumoured game Valley of the Flood looked set to do this and it was a very interesting concept that i think could have worked very well, so i'd like to see something like that if there was ever going to be a massive change in easthetic and setting within Zelda.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I don't think a modern setting could work so well. A post apocalyptic world where modern technologies have existed in the past, or an advanced steampunk style world I believe could work. Especially the steampunk. I love steampunk. The next Zelda should be steampunk.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I don't think Zelda would work in modern times, but I could easily see a Sci-fi or Steampunk Zelda happening. Modern times leave too little room for imagination.

DEKUKING98

thePAC-MAN
yes!

personally i think modernization would be a bad move. but take that idea and throw it in the far “future”of hyrule.there will still be a middle-aged feel to it but with cites and electronic swords and bows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom