• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Should It Come with a Physical Map?

Gomp

Love, loving life!
It helps that the in-game map is not to the scale of the illustrated map.:)

Also not all of the map is revealed in the game right away! In ALTP most of it was clouded over ..
But the physical fold out map, showed the whole world, in its entirety ..

And on the backside there was the map of the two first dungeons, if I recall correctly.
Which "in game" would not been possible to se, before one actually found/got the dungeon map ..

So Curmudgeon's comment about the maps being "unnecessary" really is not true as I see it ...

Hrm. Indeed. The map I was thinking of was actually in the manual. Apologies, twenty-five years of opening boxes sometimes clouds the memory.

No problem! This is how I learn stuff! So I am only grateful you took the time to chat with me/us on this topic! :D

Live and learn! :D That is my motto!

I don't want a physical map to come with the game. If there is one I'm not going to look at it. I want to experience the world like link, seeing the areas for the first time as I visit them.

Thing is, as a player you ARE Link! ;) And if he has it, then you would have it as well! ;)

Take the little black hint-book that came with A LINK TO THE PAST .. It was a direct message from sahasrahla to Link (You, the player..) ..

You are allowed to have your opinion of course, and I will not try to change that. I just think you are overlooking a very important part of what makes Zelda games so epic! (The player and Link is the same person. This is also why Link seemingly never speaks, but when one play the actually games it is obvious that Link talks a lot! It is just left for the player to imagine. Rather than be predetermined by the game makers.. Take OOA as example. The in game characters often reply as if Link said something, he HAD to have said something, as they reply directly. But it is never shown, as it is left for the player to imagine. Many even think the name of Link, is a direct result of him being a "link" between the player and the game.)

Last edited:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
As much as I would love it if the game came with a map, I seriously doubt it will. With the familiarity of the overworld, I don't even think it is essential. Most of the people that play ALBW will probably be people who have previously played ALttP, so they should already be familiar with the layout of the overworld. I admit that it would be nice to have a map though. I would love to have one that I can hang up on a wall, or something similar.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
A thousand times yes it SHOULD come with a map, but the reality is I doubt this will happen. I say this because of Nintendo's recent dropping of an actual instruction manual in favour of the instruction fold-out in order to save paper. (Although they still love to keep in the Warning brochure, and the 'You May Also Like" pamphlet...)

It was little extras like the Zelda maps, or Startropic's note from Mike's Uncle that made retro game packages so awesome! For this type of bonus to return with A Link Between Worlds would be utterly fantastic! More recently, I was really surprised to see Red Dead Redemption include a fold-out map. It actually ended up being useful to me in a few instances over the in-game map.

I would hope something like this would not be limited to a pre-order bonus, because I have not previously enjoyed preordering games. Perhaps, at best, we could hope for a Club Nintendo offer as we did with the Ocarina of Time 3D soundtrack. (Although in this case, it would need to be less of a headache to secure.)

Salem

SICK
A thousand times yes it SHOULD come with a map, but the reality is I doubt this will happen. I say this because of Nintendo's recent dropping of an actual instruction manual in favour of the instruction fold-out in order to save paper. (Although they still love to keep in the Warning brochure, and the 'You May Also Like" pamphlet...)

It was little extras like the Zelda maps, or Startropic's note from Mike's Uncle that made retro game packages so awesome! For this type of bonus to return with A Link Between Worlds would be utterly fantastic! More recently, I was really surprised to see Red Dead Redemption include a fold-out map. It actually ended up being useful to me in a few instances over the in-game map.

I would hope something like this would not be limited to a pre-order bonus, because I have not previously enjoyed preordering games. Perhaps, at best, we could hope for a Club Nintendo offer as we did with the Ocarina of Time 3D soundtrack. (Although in this case, it would need to be less of a headache to secure.)
Yeah, we're less like to see manuals, let alone maps. Also, That star tropics note was AWESOME.

Gomp

Love, loving life!
Seems no one recall the little black hint book?! :)
(I still got it.. And can not find it on google. But it would be illegal of me to scan it and share it, right?)

I found and scanned an old picture of it though.

(Circled in red.)

zelda_a_link_to_the_past_red_circle.jpg

Also her is a link to the front side of the map. (That one is not my own picture, though.)

As I said in the OP I also doubt there will be such a thing, as we almost do not even see manuals no more ..

It would still be a great homage to the original, though! ;)

And a map/'hint book' like that, would be much better than the endless tutorials and needles help we get in todays games, like with Navi and Fi .. And the stones and what not .. (I guess I am just a bit old-school that way.) :)

Last edited:

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I definitely don't think we'll ever see a Top Secret hint book again. I say this since Nintendo has already started putting this in their Warning section of their manuals:

"NEED HELP PLAYING A GAME?
For game play assistance, we recommend using your farvourite Internet search engine to find tips for the game you are playing. Some helpful words to include in the search, along with the game's title, are: 'walk through,' 'FAQ,' 'codes,' and 'tips."

The first time I saw that, I truly new the days of the schoolyard community effort to beat Nintendo games was over.

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
I rather doubt it, but it is very likely that the map will be included in A Link Between Worlds Strategy Guide Collector's Edition made by Prima Games. I have one for Skyward Sword.

Well I think it would be neat. Maybe a little unnecessary but it would be a cool bonus for Nintendo to throw in. I thought it was a cool addition in the original Legend of Zelda and I also liked how Bethesda included a map in Skyrim, that being the most recent example of this that I can think of. Although going along with it being included with Skyrim, I think it might be a better idea to include a map with Zelda Wii U because that game will presumably have a much larger overworld in comparison to A Link Between Worlds. Then again Nintendo could include a map with both games and every other future game, though that might be a little too much to ask.

That being said I also really liked how a soundtrack was included with Skyward Sword. I think a soundtrack might be a better thing to include than a map just because I think it's a bit more useful. However Nintendo could include a soundtrack and a map, but that too might be a little too much to ask. Really anything that Nintendo includes with the games is a nice bonus that I love to see. I think it's great for a game company to go the extra mile for their fans, whether it be Nintendo, Bethesda, or any other company.

Yuki Cross

Attack on Titan~!!!
I think that would be pretty awesome. Although I'm not sure that I would use it much, it would still be easier to just click a button to view the map, rather than pulling it out from wherever I stashed it. But if they ever had that, it would be totally awesome. I'd use it as a poster or something, and add it to my Zelda merchandise collection. :)

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I think it would be awesome, but it could only come as a pre-order bonus, or in the full guide. They havent packaged that sort of thing since the SNES days, and I suspect even a throwback like this will not receive that sort of treatment. I've heard nothing to suggest it.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Would be neat if they included the Top Secret hint book in some digital form, seeing as they're leaning more towards including tutorials and stuff anyway. To do it under that label/guise would be an excellent throwback! Mind you, I suppose it wouldn't carry the same weight... you felt so guilty for having had to physically break that Triforce sticker seal in order to open it! Though, they could ask the player repeatedly "Are you sure?" "Are you really sure you want to do this?" "Remember, if you're struggling with a puzzle try having a break and coming back to it" "Are you really sure? Have you already tried asking asking a friend for help?" etc first (but I doubt that they would/will).

Maps are in the same vein... man, it'd make an excellent throwback, and I love having them as a physical thing and wish they'd include it (heck, I had so much fun with the original ALttP one as a kid, pretending I was Link and using it to navigate Hyrule my backyard), buuuuut I'm not holding my breath.

Just realised this is a slight pointless bump, my apologies v_v

Last edited:
That would be awesome! I would love to hang it on my wall by my 25th anniversary Zelda club Nintendo posters, but I doubt they will. Maybe for a pre-order bonus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom