• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Should I get more hearts or more stamina ?

Should I get more hearts or more stamina ?

• Total voters

Requiem Of Spirit

It's a secret to everybody...
As the title says, what should I prioritize: getting hearts or stamina ?

On one hand, hearts are useful when fighting and
you need a ton of them to get the Master Sword at the Great Deku Tree
; but on the other hand stamina makes exploring, running, swimming, climbing, gliding, and taming horses
specially the Gerudo horse
easier.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Hearts are the only thing that hard lock an item or quest iirc, which is the Master Sword

Aside from that, just do whichever, anything you’d ever need more hearts or stamina for can just be accomplished by cooking exactly one ingredient for a meal that instantly refills your entire meter and then some. Just stock up on those as they’re way easier.

Also, the game is 5 years old, the spoiler tags really aren’t necessary.

Since there are foods that boost both, it probably can be seen more as a cosmetic preference too. Do you like seeing lots of hearts across your screen? Do you like having the stamina wheels being complete?

Early game, it probably is more of a real decision to make where you have fewer resources, but even then it really probably just comes down to your choice in playstyle, but mid- and late game, they're both pretty manageable with food no matter what. Like, I never upgraded my stamina but I eat a good stamina dish to tame high-stat horses, etc.

MW7

My first playthrough I prioritized hearts, and my second playthrough I prioritized stamina. After trying both, I settled on hearts as the more useful upgrade as the reward for the Rito divine beast can make almost anything accessible in the overworld with minimal stamina.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I feel like this was brought up a few months ago, but the short answer is that unless you're actively attempting to pull the master sword hearts don't actually do anything for you.

Couple reasons why. You'll get one shot no matter what without armor and you'll only take a quarter of a heart with it. Cooking hearty meals will fully restore your health no matter how many hearts you have. Fairies and miphas grace are just as effective as ever. Meanwhile you are always exhausting your stamina meter to its limit. Your overworld travel will be faster, you'll actually be able to climb things, and most importantly you can actually cross all those stupid rivers without going oh I've made a mistake halfway through and having to resort to cryonis. Having full stamina wheels unlocks certain actions like climbing to the tops of labyrinths or being able to spin attack longer if you're trying to CC a bokoblin camp or taming an especially good horse.

So if you just look at the uses of each upgrade it's clear who the winner is. You can do a mix of both, but you definitely want to favor stamina. Also use the demon statue in hateno to get the master sword

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I alternated on my playthrough until I found the Master Sword requirement. I then prioritised hearts for a while and also swapped stamina for hearts to expedite it.

I was pretty bad at the combat, so hearts ended up being prioritised and stamina was only filled in after I had about 15 hearts, and maybe 1.5 stamina wheels, but I’d say what you prioritise probably depends on your play style. In my opinion Stamina is better for expediting world exploration and hearts will assist in you in not dying as easily (depending on how good you are).

Keep in mind that all that is coming from someone who didn’t really enjoy the game and probably didn’t really fully grasp its mechanics.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Although stamina is massively important, I tend to prioritize heart containers for a couple reasons. Firstly, enemies get tougher the farther along you go. So you get a ton of stamina wheels, climb and dash your way super far, and then get positively clapped by a lizalfos in the hebra region. You'd have to make a lot of dishes for yourself just to stay alive (unless you're really good at fighting/avoiding fighting) and that's tough on resources. Secondly, it makes it harder going in to fight the divine beasts, the walls of which are too slick to climb so stamina will only be minorly useful.
That being said, I tend to actually alternate hearts and stamina with each Hylia statue visit. Sometimes I switch things up depending on what I neednor what my current goal is, but usually my heart and stamina amounts are about equal.

Depends. If you get your ass kicked in combat or you feel uncomfortable engaging, hearts. If you want to explore as much of the map as possible, stamina.

If you still can't decide, then do what I usually do when replaying BotW and alternate between them whenever you complete four shrines.

Lots of different answers!
I like to get two wheels of stamina then just enough hearts to get the sword then, maybe, do the first sword trial!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom