• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Should Casuals Be Allowed to Play MP Games?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
So, I want to come into this thread stating that I do know for a fact that what one says shouldn't affect me, but really these past moons got me to thinking, again.

I play a couple of PC Games online to test my wit and competence within the game. For example, Battlefield Play4Free, Guild Wars (online is obligatory anyway for GW haha), Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 and so on. Well, I'm typically not so good as the REALLY GOOD, high ranking people because hey, I don't hone my skills too often to care ;P

Anywho, I get many, MANY comments such as these:
EastPACK (Modern Warfare 3 PC player) said:
GTFO kid uninstall the game your just bad
Unnamed Booster on BFP4F said:
lol you suck get off the game n00b

And well I was just thinking...SHOULD casuals play multiplayer games? Oftentimes a casual player (e.g me) will go onto a team based game but with their skill or rather lack thereof, they end up being a bane to humanity to their team rather than a boon, which obviously isn't good in a team setting. I personally play games for fun, but I do realize that fun for many people is equivalent to winning and it is VERY hard to win if you have deadweight pulling you down.

Now, a quick fix to the N00B epidemic is to create offline bots modes...like Star Wars Battlefront II's Instant Action mode, but this takes resources and what with the incessant need for HD omgwtfbbq graphics, this simply isn't a thought on developer minds.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Anyone can play anything they please. If anyone has a problem with that, they can **** off. Those comments are just full of idiocy. Those no-lifes, don't have the right to tell you what to do, especially when you payed money for the product. Once you pay for it, you can do what you please with it. Video games were meant to be played by all levels of gamers. People think they have big balls because they "win" in a game, and when they find someone who isn't as good, they say the dumbest **** to said person like what is presented above. Using their logic, they should suicide for sucking at life.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
More often than not, MP games like you are talking about have a ranking system. If you're a casual player then you're most likely not going to get to the high enough ranks for it to matter. Anyone who is decent at the game should be at a higher level than so called "casual player."

Take me and League of Legends. Anyone who casually plays that game isn't going to play long enough to get to level 30 as it takes a very long time (think it took me like 3 months of playing alot.) Up to level 30 is essentially practice to make you good enough to play ranked games. When you play ranked, you are matched with people who are the similar rank so you most likely won't get these "casual players."

Most people just use "go uninstall" because they're ****s and nothing more. If someone wants to play a MP game, they should be allowed to. If you have a bad game due to a team member, then just play another game. Sure you can ***** about your terrible teammates, but you move on. Don't ruin someone's day just because they had a bad game.

More often than not, MP games like you are talking about have a ranking system. If you're a casual player then you're most likely not going to get to the high enough ranks for it to matter. Anyone who is decent at the game should be at a higher level than so called "casual player."
^ If anything at all should change, this should become more standard. But there's no problem with the setup. People should have a means to play with people as good as them (and they always have; simply state that in the fricken' game title), but that's no excuse for giving newer players trouble. The very notion of doing so ignores a pretty crucial element: You can brush them off as "casual" all you want, but what they are is inexperience. Everyone was inexperienced at one point, so the idea of actually barring inexperienced players effectively means you'll have... no players.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well, it's not all about new players, it's also about the veteran players who aren't as good as the other vets. I mean, one can have 100 hours of gametime under their belt and still suck...I'm testament of this with Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 on PC what with my 0.442 KDR. If having a bad player on your team makes the game less fun, wouldn't you want to remove said bad player to make your experience, well, fun? Because that's what playing games is all about--having fun--right? If that is indeed a postulate, gaming being for fun, then I could say that a casual or, for the sake of the argument, bad player indeed will not have fun when they are losing left and right. Let's say the bad player in question has some sort of disability or restriction that keeps them from learning from mistakes (I'm that kinda person, btw). If they keep losing, this causes two things: A) team loses, incites rage from other teammates and :cool: the player themself loses, incites rage from teammates in addition to the player either being stagnant in their inability to get better or perhaps even getting WORSE than before. I ask you, how is that fun? Wouldn't it just be better for the not so good players to, say, stop playing multiplayer and go to singeplayer, or simply play with bots?

Leaving the not so good players mingling with the good players will create a huge rift, causing the game to be UNfun for a LOT of people, and just detract from the game experience. It isn't fair to say "you suck so get out", but at the same time, it isn't fair to burden the good player with bad players. That isn't balance in the eyes of a pr01337, that's sheer torture.

If by some design there were a way to pair the not so good palyers with otherwise not so good players, I'm sure this problem would solve itself. And there is, it's just that development times might be increased tenfold because netcode and bugs and other things...

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
No one should be denied playing a MP game if they want to. It's really sad that people treat newbies like dirt. They act like they weren't n00bs once themselves. Everyone starts out in gaming not knowing what they're doing. Everyone. You get better by playing the games. Denying casual gamers the chance to enhance their skills and have fun doing it is just stupid and weak. Plain and simple.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
Well, it's not all about new players, it's also about the veteran players who aren't as good as the other vets. I mean, one can have 100 hours of gametime under their belt and still suck...I'm testament of this with Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 on PC what with my 0.442 KDR. If having a bad player on your team makes the game less fun, wouldn't you want to remove said bad player to make your experience, well, fun? Because that's what playing games is all about--having fun--right? If that is indeed a postulate, gaming being for fun, then I could say that a casual or, for the sake of the argument, bad player indeed will not have fun when they are losing left and right. Let's say the bad player in question has some sort of disability or restriction that keeps them from learning from mistakes (I'm that kinda person, btw). If they keep losing, this causes two things: A) team loses, incites rage from other teammates and :cool: the player themself loses, incites rage from teammates in addition to the player either being stagnant in their inability to get better or perhaps even getting WORSE than before. I ask you, how is that fun? Wouldn't it just be better for the not so good players to, say, stop playing multiplayer and go to singeplayer, or simply play with bots?

Leaving the not so good players mingling with the good players will create a huge rift, causing the game to be UNfun for a LOT of people, and just detract from the game experience. It isn't fair to say "you suck so get out", but at the same time, it isn't fair to burden the good player with bad players. That isn't balance in the eyes of a pr01337, that's sheer torture.

If by some design there were a way to pair the not so good palyers with otherwise not so good players, I'm sure this problem would solve itself. And there is, it's just that development times might be increased tenfold because netcode and bugs and other things...

Just because someone has a ****** kdr, doesn't necessarily mean they're terrible or a scrub or noob or any other pathetic name you want to call someone. Maybe the other team is just ****ing amazing, maybe they are lagging like a mother ****er, maybe they're just not playing well that day. But no one should be unable to play what mode they want. If they're playing the game then let them do as they wish. Yes more games need a better ranking system to put people in the same play level, but people need to get over their ****ing problem of having a noob on their team.

If they can't handle it then maybe they should be the ones who uninstall because they're really the ones that make the game unfun.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
There should be no reason whatsoever anyone should stay out of certain playlists because of their skill. When I first started playing Halo for example, I can tell you I was absolutely horrible. My K/D was probably like 0.2 along with my W/L, but I never cared because it's just a number, and well...numbers don't ruin my experience. I myself got plenty of hate messages saying how much I suck and how I should trade in the game blah blah blah, but just because you're bad doesn't mean you should be forced to play a mode you don't enjoy as much. Practice makes perfect, and that's a quote people need to think of when it comes to playing with new players.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Denying casual gamers the chance to enhance their skills and have fun doing it is just stupid and weak.
. Practice makes perfect, and that's a quote people need to think of when it comes to playing with new players.

But, what if they don't get better? What if they consistently lose matches because they're just that bad? Would you still defend their playing the game when you know that their playing causes the game to become less fun for others? What if, for example, Atikus, Wyatt and Nicole were in a clan, planning to rock a quick session of Dead Space 2 Multiplayer but then little ol' VanitasXII comes along via quick match or maybe the server browser just placed him there. Van is a horrible player and just cannot get better for whatever reason. He consistently ruins matches, causing the game to be horribly one sided due to his lack of skill and his inability to get better. Wouldn't you say that he should probably stop playing or, at the very least, go back to the Singleplayer side and hone his skills there?

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
Well I really don't know how to answer that. Because no matter what type of player I'm in a game with excluding the type that take the game too seriously, and non team players, it does not affect my mood at all.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
If you've bought a game there should be no restrictions on how you play it.

If you ask me, it's the people who take a *game* too seriously who are the problem. So someone on my team in Halo is awful. Oh well. Either we'll lose and then play the next game without them or it'll force the rest of us to try harder to make up for it. That's just the luck of the draw. People who want to always play with similarly skilled people should join a clan or something. There's no excuse for insulting people who are bad at a game because it is a game, a form of entertainment. By its nature it is light-hearted and inconsequential. If someone drags you down, don't play with them if it bothers you that much, but don't bully them because then your just being a ****.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
But, what if they don't get better? What if they consistently lose matches because they're just that bad? Would you still defend their playing the game when you know that their playing causes the game to become less fun for others? What if, for example, Atikus, Wyatt and Nicole were in a clan, planning to rock a quick session of Dead Space 2 Multiplayer but then little ol' VanitasXII comes along via quick match or maybe the server browser just placed him there. Van is a horrible player and just cannot get better for whatever reason. He consistently ruins matches, causing the game to be horribly one sided due to his lack of skill and his inability to get better. Wouldn't you say that he should probably stop playing or, at the very least, go back to the Singleplayer side and hone his skills there?

Then here's what you do. Either swallow your stubborn pride and deal with such a small first world problem or be selfish don't play with them. Simple.

In addition, you could always offer pro tips.

Dan

When you paid your hard earned money for the game, that's what gave you the right to play MP-games. Don't pay any attention to those comments Van. I don't like the way people act like that. Clearly this is bugging you considering you made two threads which are quite related. You aren't the only one they have most likely had a go at.

A lot of games have a match making system to help split players up, on the other hand people going into public games need to have the patience and respect that not everyone will be playing on the same level as them. Hence why we have clans. So that people can play in dedicated servers with the same amount of skill. If they can't deal with that then just ignore them. Thankfully nowadays a lot of games have some mute/ignore button to make sure you never have to listen to them again. People on online video games can be the harshest.

Now Van I'm telling you to go back and play your games, you deserve to ! :D

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
So, I want to come into this thread stating that I do know for a fact that what one says shouldn't affect me, but really these past moons got me to thinking, again.

I play a couple of PC Games online to test my wit and competence within the game. For example, Battlefield Play4Free, Guild Wars (online is obligatory anyway for GW haha), Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 and so on. Well, I'm typically not so good as the REALLY GOOD, high ranking people because hey, I don't hone my skills too often to care ;P

Anywho, I get many, MANY comments such as these:

And well I was just thinking...SHOULD casuals play multiplayer games? Oftentimes a casual player (e.g me) will go onto a team based game but with their skill or rather lack thereof, they end up being a bane to humanity to their team rather than a boon, which obviously isn't good in a team setting. I personally play games for fun, but I do realize that fun for many people is equivalent to winning and it is VERY hard to win if you have deadweight pulling you down.

Now, a quick fix to the N00B epidemic is to create offline bots modes...like Star Wars Battlefront II's Instant Action mode, but this takes resources and what with the incessant need for HD omgwtfbbq graphics, this simply isn't a thought on developer minds.
First of all I think anyone should be allowed to play any game and that it shouldn't matter what skill level you are at.

Now I have only played a little bit of online games (mostly games such as Mario Kart Wii, Modern Warfare 3, Goldeneye, and Resident Evil Mercenaries 3d) but in my time I do have to agree that I hate having to listen to people like that. That is why when I play games I usually do so without a mic. But I have noticed that lately I have been pushed towards games such As Mario Kart Wii for online multiplayer because they are structured differently. In MKW you play with only people with similar BP then you while in other online games you could be playing with almost anyone. I don't know how much my opinion matters seeing that I don;t play very many multiplayer games but this simple system if implemented in some of the big blockbuster shooters could help with these problems (similar to yours) that I hear about every once in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom