• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Shiny Pokémon in BW2

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I've been scouring the internet for the latest information on the upcoming games, and I noticed something. BW2 is doing a lot more to include Shiny Pokémon in their games. Ranging from offering them as rewards, to including items making it easier to find said Pokémon. Although I was happy that finding Shiny Pokémon would be much easier, I wondered if it takes the fun out of running into the wild and having your jaw drop when you found one.

Serebii.net said:
Method:
If you see all of the Pokémon within the Unova Dex, when you go to talk to Professor Juniper, she will notice that you have seen all the Pokémon within the Pokédex and will offer you a Present. This Present is the special License item which takes you to the Nature Sanctuary where loads of rare Pokémon, including a Shiny Haxorus, dwell.
I found this very interesting. I was already happy that BW2 was including new areas, but an area filled with rare Pokémon? Count me in! The method to obtaining said License seems rather logical, but seems rather easy considering it's only the Unova Dex and not the National Pokédex.

Serebii.net said:
Method:
Finally, when you manage to capture all the Pokémon in the National Pokédex (not counting event legends) and show it to Cedric Juniper, he will tell you his daughter has a present for you. This present is the special Shiny Charm. This item increases the likelihood that you will encounter Shiny Pokémon. When you have the item in your bag, then the chances of encountering Shiny Pokémon in the wild is increased to 33% of normal, making it a 1 in 2,370.6 chance. If, however, you're using the Masuda Method to breed, it increases it from 1 in 1,365.3 down to 1 in 1024.

Now this just makes plain sense. After all of your hard work capturing, evolving, and training Pokémon, you're rewarded with an extremely rare item. I think this is a great idea that they would include an item that increases your chance of encountering Shiny Pokémon. Although the odds may still seem very unlikely, you'd have an increased chance than without said item. The Shining Charm is a great item to carry around, especially if you love hunting shinies.

Serebii.net said:

Method:
After defeating Banjirou in Black City or White Forest's main attraction, Banjirou will visit Alder and while there, will give you a special prize, a Gible or a Dratini depending on which facility he was beaten. These Pokémon are unique in that it is Shiny.

This method is definitely unlike the others that I've previously mentioned. I found it odd that they would reward Shiny Pokémon for defeating someone in a battle. Personally I believe that the Shining Charm, and the Shiny Haxorus/Rare Pokémon Area were already enough. I honestly don't think this was truly necessary. Don't get me wrong, I love Shinies! The more the merrier, but how much is too much?

I leave you with some questions. Do you believe that BW2 is trying too hard with Shiny Pokémon? Are you satisfied with how Shiny Pokémon are so far executed in these games? What are your thoughts on this concept overall?

Well at least you get something worthwile once you complete the Pokédex instead of a Congradulations and a piece of Paper :lol:

Yeah, I love the idea of obtaining an item that let's you go to a new area and find rare Pokémon, especially a shiny Haxorus. I also Like the idea of being given a shiny Gible or a Dratini. Hmm... it's seems they are giving away free Shiny Dragon Types. Wonder why?

Last edited:
I believe the Pokémon franchise is overly catering to the "casual" segments of its audience as of late. Take Mystery Gifts for example. Mewtwo, Darkrai, Deoxys. These were once difficult to obtain creatures but now all you need to do is boot up your DS with cartridge inside to claim these precious gems. I'm not pleased with the route Black 2 and White 2 are taking with respect to Shiny Pokémon. Game Freak and the Pokémon Company appear to have completely lost touch with what made the series great in the first place-compiling the entire National Pokédex through various obscure methods. In the original Gameboy titles this meant trading with other players, scouring the nooks and crannies of the region, and sometimes after many years discovering a secret you never previously thought existed (Mew).

I'm largely indifferent towards the current Pokémon franchise and news along these lines further serves to dampen my enthusiasm at hopes of reigniting my interest.

Brodogs

Competitive TF2 Medic
I've never been a true hunter of Shiny Pokemon but I know many people value them rather highly, so I think I'll have to go with A_LINK_IN_TIME in saying that adding so many reduces their value. However, I believe giving access to competitively useful Pokemon that are not easily obtainable in the latest generation (ie, I only had Black and not a Gen IV) is a step in the right direction. Still, it's nice to see the developers adding extra incentive for finishing the game in its entirety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom