• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Shield Meter!?

I think it's a meter that determines how far Link gets knocked back when defending himself (as we all know that's what happens in this game). If it reaches the top, he falls to the ground. That's just what I think it might be, if it is a shield meter (which is what it looks like).

yeah, I think the meter goes down with the hits and regenerates with the time (slowly please) and depending in the kind of attack and how much filled is the meter maybe itcan go from

(reflect?) > block > no damage but knocked > knocked + damage

dadude1200

hero of...uh... somthing.
prehaps its a meter showing how much magic is in the sheild.
once its full you can unleash a magic attack!
i think.

jack546

The chosen one
gannon slayr are you serious what do you think link will be hit with A. swords B. arrows c. maybe fire arrows and none of theese can penatrate steel.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
Yeah I noticed that in the trailer as well. It could serve multiple purposes that you can set, from what I took from it. A shield was set next the meter, so that was probably the shield's durability. Perhaps you can assign other items to it such as lanterns, or magical items, or maybe they even brought magic back. Nah.

I Think This Is A Very Good Idea I Think The Meter Should Stand For The Durablility And It Will Go Down Over Time Until The Enemies Deplete It. Very Great Idea Nintendo This Will Make The Game Much More Realistic :D

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
The shield meter could in theory be upgradable like the magic meter was, it could double in length or we could gain a second bar on top of the first like that of a megaman boss, you know, the meter fills up twice. Also it could be used to perform moves like the shield bash. In TP, could defeat armoured enemies with a shield bash and then a helm splitter attack everytime and it was way to easy, I remember using it too many times once in the Temple of Time dungeon, which is why I refrain from using it now. hopefully every shield bash takes a chuck out of this new meter. Lastly I think it's a great idea and that I almost wish they had thought of this shield meter sooner. It's like the SS equivilant of the OoT targeting system, It should catch on right away and they might even carry the new feature over into future Zelda games.

F

Farore's Wind

I hope you don't have to go to a store and buy a new shield every time Link's was destroyed, I'd rather it be like a meter of how long you can use it! Like many have said on here, like the system of the shield on Super Smash Bros. Brawl. And it would have to recover very quickly when you are in fierce battle! Maybe there is something to replinish the meter like in Ocarina of Time where you use magic to fill your magic meter.

Djinn

and Tonic
I hope you don't have to go to a store and buy a new shield every time Link's was destroyed, I'd rather it be like a meter of how long you can use it!

This was actually what I had in mind when I made my post on the first page. Since many newer games have added item decay for extra realism, your character's armor can take only so much abuse before it requires repair or replacing. While the Hylian shield Link carries around is actually nothing special at all. It is just a normal old shield that can be bought in almost any shop in Hyrule. And normally after it is purchased, that's it. Now all the other stores have wasted space carrying these shields you will never need because you already bought one. It makes sense in that way because the shield is a typical, non magical item while Link's sword is the legendary Master Sword, his clothes are sometimes some ancient artifact as well, and any other equipment is some legendary device found in the old temples and are either mystical themselves or are at least related to the ancient sages somehow.

So I imagine the meter is there to display how long it lasts until you have to march over to another store and buy a new shield since the shops carry them, and it gives a reason for Link to still collect and use rupees later in the game. Before there was always that 3/4 point in the game where rupees have become useless since you already carry better equipment than anything that can be purchased and the stores never gain any new products, only the same old stuff you saw when you first went to Castletown/Kakariko. I believe the Magical armor was also to give end of game rupees a purpose but it was too impractical for anyone to want to use. The shield meter leading to replacement leads to a less gimmicky, and slightly more realistic solution to the rupee problem of the later game.

I dont think it will be shield durability, I dont think it will breaks, I think it will show us how much can link block the attacks... link would break first than the shield :P

Maybe if there is a wooden shield (as there usually is) it would be a durability meter but I think this is more about how long you can hold the shield up at a time. Similar to the spin attack in TP where you had to wait a second to use it again, the shield meter will go down when pressing Z (or whatever) and when not pressing it the meter will go up (sort of like Smash bros.). The main reason Nintendo is doing this is because people on forums like these complained about how in TP whenever you targeted you would be almost fully protected...

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I think it just has to do with how long you could hold it or block with it since there's the whole new stamina thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom