• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Shield Meter!?

Since the developers were trying to create a much more realistic combat experience in this game they would have to remove the seemingly invincible abilities of the shield from previous games. Where as in OoT Link could just hold the shield up and protect himself from dragon fire, sword slashes, magical blasts, etc. eternally with no consequences. The shield meter does add a little amount of realism in combat since shields would break after a certain amount of abuse. Especially so with Link's level of abuse. And give players a little extra push to be more proactive against enemies.
I agree with you in general, except you're wrong that Link was always protected from everything. Fire attacks usually worked on him anyway, at least when let loose by a large or powerful enemy, and the same could be said for powerful physical attacks like those from an Iron Knuckle.

i think it is not a shield meter, it is the stamina meter we sew in e3 in a different presentation
Yeah, probably. Since the Stamina Meter was kind of important, and I didn't actually see it elsewhere, this is likely true. Perhaps its use is expanded though, since it has the shield icon now? I thought at first that the Shield Meter could be the rough equivalent to a magic meter for sword skills, and as a stamina meter, with the shield icon, that would make a lot of sense.

The stamina meter pops up whenever Link sprints (if that's what you're talking about).

This shield meter is probably used to keep track of the damage Link's shield takes, but it will never actually break. If players keep the shield raised for too long and enemies keep hitting it, the bar will go up and when it's overfilled Link won't be able to use his shield for a short period of time. This has been used in other games as well.

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
It could be related to the shield in some way, which would explain the logo of the shield next to the meter, but I was hoping it was a magic meter. Come on, it's the beginning of Zelda History, there NEEDS TO BE MAGIC!!!! An idea for the shield-related purpose is that as you defend with your shield more, the defense your shield gives you lowers based on the strength of the attack. Once the meter reaches zero, all attacks can penetrate your defenses. The only way to get the meter back would be to hit an enemy with your sword or wait around a bit. I'm not exactly sure what it's for, but those are my ideas.

Hero_in_Green

Hero of Time
Yeah i think its just how many hits your shield takes before you're overpowered and it leaves an open spot for an enemy to strike. Thats pretty cool imo

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
I have not seen any other suggestions besides it being a shield endurance meter. Nobody has any other ideas?

I do not. I think it's quite clear that that is what it is. My main question is is this cumulative over the course of many skirmishes, or does it regenerate? I could imagine it both ways. If it regenerates (slowly one hopes) then it would maybe last for a few hits then an enemy's attack would push your shield aside and hit you...if it does not regenerate, can can you carry a spare shield?

Generally, I think a shield meter is GREAT idea. It adds an extra element of difficulty and complexity to combat, and forces the player to be more active. I think it would also encourage you to use dodging maneuvers more frequently. Also, it looks like you can block some projectiles with a sword swipe (see the lava creature spitting fire balls at you in the new trailer). Further, it will make shield power-ups more interesting and valuable, right? Now if you get a shield with full endurance, it will be a really valuable thing. I imagine if there are *special* shields in the game (e.g. a mirror shield, etc.) and the shield is not regenerating then it will simply break, then you will have to go get it repaired (not buy a new one, since such a special shield would not be something you have to purchase...it would more likely be a dungeon treasure). It's a great idea. And like the endurance meter adds something else to think about for the game...looking forward to trying this out (hopefully, and likely, by Christmas 2011).

It seems to be a shield bar, but it doesn't deplete or anything in the trailer when Link parries the Stalfos.
It also seems to be empty through the whole trailer.
So they either chose not to include it in the trailer intentionally, or it's something else.

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
Honestly, I think it may be a "sheild ability" type of bar, like, I dunno, how much you can reflect a spell back at an enemy, or, say, being able to create a gust of wind by sheild bashing the air similar to the Deku leaf in WW (which would be pretty cool). However, it could easily be a durability meter, and that could add a lot of depth to gameplay. Like many of you pointed out, it would give us stuff to buy on a regular basis. There could be a weak, cheap wooden sheild, a medium strength and medium priced iron sheild, and a strong expensive steel sheild. Also, there could be an expansive sidequest (which I always love) in which you could get an invincible sheild at the end. I think that would be a GREAT addition to the game, personally.

the meter should be related to the shield, because, well, there would be no reason to put the small shield icon, right?

I hope is some kind of shield endurance bar, or maybe just strength? maybe they changed the green circle that pop up in the E3 demo for this bar

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think it's a meter that determines how far Link gets knocked back when defending himself (as we all know that's what happens in this game). If it reaches the top, he falls to the ground. That's just what I think it might be, if it is a shield meter (which is what it looks like).

W

wildturkey

i think that they are being serious about a sheild when they put a sheild in front of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom