• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sheikah Stone: Thankful or Exasperated?

W

Wind Waker

Was anybody else annoyed by the Sheikah Stone on Skyloft? Are you exasperated that Nintendo INSISTS on putting super guides into their games, or are you relieved that it helped you beat that annoying puzzle? Is it tempting you to go ask it, and do you find that aggravating? Can you resist the easy way out? I wanna hear your opinion! And please, don't mention specific puzzles in case someone who has not completed the game stumbles upon this thread and you spoil the game for them. Thanks!

i used it to help me figure out hints on the gratitude crystal sidequests, and i accidentally watched how to defeat demise. that's so uncool and ruined everything for me.

Night Owl

~Momentai
I Like having them. I never use them except to watch the videos afterward to see if my way was any different from Nintendo's.

I Like figuring out things on my own, But I know that not every one will go online if they get stuck.
I feel they need a warning that states it will spell things out for you, just to prevent people from accessing spoilers they don't want to access.

You used it once when i was stuck finding my way into the sky keep temple with that bird statue. I had no idea what to do. Thankfully it helped but it was way too obvious. Especially some other things on there. Way to straight forward. Not a hint at all. More like a walkthrough guide.

I just liked shooting him with the gust bellows, bombs, arrows, etc and watching all of the different effects each item had on it :) i never ever used it for a hint though, now that i think about it.

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
I didn't use the because the puzzle part of Skyward Sword wasn't too hard the combat part wasn't too hard too. However I never needed them to help me. Was I mad the Nintendo put them in, not at all. One of the best part if the game was just stabbing at the stone and watching it wiggle.

Fig

The Altruist
Was anybody else annoyed by the Sheikah Stone on Skyloft? Are you exasperated that Nintendo INSISTS on putting super guides into their games, or are you relieved that it helped you beat that annoying puzzle? Is it tempting you to go ask it, and do you find that aggravating? Can you resist the easy way out? I wanna hear your opinion! And please, don't mention specific puzzles in case someone who has not completed the game stumbles upon this thread and you spoil the game for them. Thanks!

First of all, why would be exasperated that Nintendo inserts a super guide if you don't even need it? Nintendo is not going to be a jerk when developing new video games, they know that new timers would want to buy/play the game and it might not be easy for them as hardcore gamers like others. Nintendo does this so they can attract more consumers in buying their games. If you, me, or anyone else played a video game of a series for the first time, wouldn't admit that you would need help, despite that you might want to complete the game without assistance. I would have to admit, I might need some assistance when playing the Call of Duty games since I'm horrible at it, but I'm happy when my friends want to help me out instead of ditching me and trying to save themselves instead. It is because Nintendo keeps adding a super guide to their big-name games that Nintendo is steadily becoming more popular. No one wants to buy a video game that doesn't even assist you in the controls, which is why Nintendo thought of the brilliant idea of super guides. Have I wanted to use the super guide for Skyward Sword? Sure, but I didn't because I had pride in myself to complete the game without hints. But then again, I spent more time in areas that I should have completed in minutes, instead finishing the area after a couple of hours. Honestly, I'm thankful for the Sheikah Stone found in Skyloft, though I barely watched them as soon as I completed the game. It's nice to know that your favorite video game company that makes The Legend of Zelda want to help you in passing one of the greatest games of all time. :)

I used it once I believe... But it does feel that it takes some of the challenge out of the game. It's really giving you the whole game on a silver plate. At least in Majora's Mask you have to go to the trouble of finding the Sheikah Stones before you get your one hint. (And you also have to acquire the proper mask first to be able to communicate with them.)

Dracoburn

Lance's Protégé
I just ignore them for the most part. Though I -did- use it for one of the sidequests to try to figure out where the stupid birds nest was the first time.

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
It kind of depends on what kind of person you are. If you're a smart person that likes challenges, isn't lazy and all that, then you might not want the Shiekah/Gossip Stone there, but it wouldn't cause you any problems as long as you don't talk to it.

If you're a generally lazy person, who doesn't like solving puzzles and usually look on the internet for answers and stuff, then perhaps you would like a super guide.

I don't really care if there is a super a guide. If you don't like it, then don't get help from it. Some puzzles are a little bit difficult though, in that case, the super guide could come in handy.

I believe that the Sheikah Stone was a very interesting element first introduced in Ocarina of Time 3D and successfully reused in Skyward Sword. I'd like to point out that it is different than the Super Guide Nintendo has inserted into its platformers namely New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Donkey Kong Country Returns. In those games, the features switches control completely over to the computer which finishes the level for the player. In Zelda, however, the Sheikah stones solely play a short hint movie. It's an efficient alternative to having to boot up a device with an Internet connection and looking up a walkthrough. As others have mentioned, the option is also completely optional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom