• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Share your experience after playing too much Zelda?

Have you ever got a feeling of playing too much Zelda? Or is it possible to play too much? Have you burned yourself out of zelda games by playing the titles too fast and not having a break between? Any other consequences like change of behaviour? Share your experiences. I address this especially for those who have found the Zelda games recently as I did and still have titles waiting to be played for the first time. Of course more experienced fans are welcome to participate in as well.

My observation of surrounding nature changed for couple of days after playing BotW very intensively. I started to focus on funny things when I was outside of my home. For instance, every time I saw a funny shaped rock I was thinking is there a Korok under the rock. In addition, I noticed that I was focusing my mind on the arrangement of trees and other things. I have a forest near my home and there are lots of beautiful birches there. It looked like that there might be fairies. It was funny to notice how game can change how you observe your surroundings. Surreal experience.

After a great gaming experience with BotW in sping this year, I decided to play more Zelda games just to know better the franchise. I did play OOT and MM when they were released but did not finished them as I was quite young at the time. Now I have finished OOT, MM and WW within a quite short time range. Next title is TP. I have anticipated it the most and cannot wait to get to play it. But, I'm a bit worried I'll burn myself out by playing titles too fast. Have you made this mistake? Now I feel fine but perhaps it would be wise to take a little break after each title. Any thoughts?

I just finished WW today and struggling not to start TP right now. Have you ever been afraid consuming your enthusiasm by playing the games too hasty? Share your thoughts and advice how to relief zelda enthusiasm while not playing (fanfiction perhaps?). I guess making this thread is one way to keep me off playing. Aww...Zelda's amazing. I'm hooked. The games are like tailor-made for me.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
My experience is that I start to dream about it. When I play a game for days (and not just one hour) I start to dream about it. I also compare the places I visit with Hyrule. We got a very beautiful park/forest nearby and when I go there I always see references to Zelda games in it. I also did the same when I was on holidays to the eastern part of my country like a month ago. I always see details that fit Zelda games. Any advice? Enjoy it, because I know I do!

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I've never tried playing mutiple Zelda games right after the other, so I cannot help much there. All I can say is before you play Skyward Sword maybe take a short break. It's either going to be an ok game in your eyes, or you might dislike it.

Post BotW if I play any other 3D Zelda I'm always expecting a Korok under a rock.

I'm now positive that's what the guy in Kakariko village is looking for who is trying to lift the rock.

Also not wholly on topic but when i was last at the beach I saw an incomplete circle of rocks. Someone was clearly a Zelda fan... I knew what I had to do!

Last edited:
My experience is that I start to dream about it. When I play a game for days (and not just one hour) I start to dream about it.
Lucky you! I wonder how on earth I still have not had any Zelda dreams. Usually my mind picks up content quite easily from real world experiences but still no Zelda dreams. That would be awesome. I gladly welcome princess Zelda from BotW to visit my subconscious ;)

I've never tried playing mutiple Zelda games right after the other, so I cannot help much there. All I can say is before you play Skyward Sword maybe take a short break. It's either going to be an ok game in your eyes, or you might dislike it.
Playing too fast is like reading a book too fast. For me it takes some time until I've grown fond of the characters and the plot. For example in WW Link spends several months or more than a year sailing the Great Ocean so playing game in a slow pace would make the experience more realistic. Playing too fast could make a game shallow. That's what I'm afraid of. Fortunately I tend to play games very slowly. I beat WW in 75 hours within 11 days. And to beat main story + most side quests in BotW I used more than 300 hours.

I need to slow down the pace of playing titles in a row. If I play at this pace and finish all the Zelda games, there will be an awful long wait for the Switch Zelda.

Thanks for the advice to take a break before SS. I've heard both positive and negative experiences. Using nunchuck may be somewhat strange so better be fresh for that game. Jason The Axemaskman, how did you l find SS, liked or disliked?

Also not wholly on topic but when i was last at the beach I saw an incomplete circle of rocks. Someone was clearly a Zelda fan... I knew what I had to do!
You're right on topic! You did great. I guess Hestu did a little bit dancing.
I visited in Rome Colosseum in summer and surely you know what I was afraid to encounter there.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
My observation of surrounding nature changed for couple of days after playing BotW very intensively. I started to focus on funny things when I was outside of my home. For instance, every time I saw a funny shaped rock I was thinking is there a Korok under the rock. In addition, I noticed that I was focusing my mind on the arrangement of trees and other things. I have a forest near my home and there are lots of beautiful birches there. It looked like that there might be fairies. It was funny to notice how game can change how you observe your surroundings. Surreal experience.

That's hilarious, the same thing happened to both me and my brother. We played it so extensively that we kind of started seeing the world in the same perspective as the game. It's such a massive world and you're constantly looking out for suspicious patterns that you start to notice them in real life. We'd point out stuff to eachother all the time during car rides, saying there's a korok hiding there. Everytime I'd look up at the night sky, I'd imagine a star fragment falling too.

Everytime I'd look up at the night sky, I'd imagine a star fragment falling too.
That is so true!
The Big Dipper has this far reminded me holidays In Lappland in Finland but now after finishing WW, the Big Dipper reminds me of that beatifully designed game. I heard there are northern lights in BotW. I did not see them in my first playthrough. Maybe in the second I will. But please don't tell me where to look for them. I want to find them by myself.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Thanks for the advice to take a break before SS. I've heard both positive and negative experiences. Using nunchuck may be somewhat strange so better be fresh for that game. Jason The Axemaskman, how did you l find SS, liked or disliked?
I'm writing a blog on my opinion of the game now actually, but it'd be spoiling the game for you possibly.

I dislike it overall.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
2011 and 2012 was the only time where I was playing zelda games in succession, I mean hell after an oot replay, it was also when I first played majoras mask, the NES zeldas, link's awakening, skyward sword [which was new], and minish cap all for the first time, even joined this site around that time.....I was kinda going through a zelda fanboy phase I guess
but surprisingly enough, I never felt burnt out on playing these games at the time, and I definitely feel that I got the most out of them when I played them, like I didn't rush or anything, it wasn't until I played the oracle games in 2016 or so that I felt like I was actually tired of the zelda formula by then

I notice I get bored when I'm messing around and not getting anything done, just rolling around and talking to NPC's. When that happens I switch games or just take a break from it for a while, but it comes back.

Heh. I could keep myself 5 days away from playing Zelda. Today I indulged and started TP. Not regretting. Game feels and looks good right from the start. Nice to see that Link is loved and respected by his people for a change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom