• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Shadow Temple Sage and more

Just a useless "what if" from me, but I wanted to get it off my chest and see if people thought this would have been a good idea...

It never sat well with me that Impa is the sage of the shadow temple. I guess it works, but it always stuck out as a bit of a sore thumb to me, because Impa is a recurring character throughout many zelda games, and I think it would have suited more to have a "one time" character be the sage of the shadow temple.

So who? I think it would have been great if it turned out to be the kid who plays around the graveyard, obviously 7 years older as a young adult, probably a similar age to Link. Furthermore, they should have named him Mido, as to go with the whole AOL towns named after the sages, plus Vah Medoh divine beast would make a little more sense too. As for the actual Mido, the useless Kokiri, just give him another name.

So what happened to Impa after the 7 years then? Well I thought, maybe she could be protecting Zelda in the temple of Light. So what about Sheik then? Well, have Sheik as his own character (yes, "his"), he could be the son of Impa, sent to guide Link. Then instead of revealing himself as Zelda, Sheik then sends Link to the temple of light to meet up with Zelda, but has to rescue her as beasts have taken over the temple of light, thus having to re-awaken Rauru, which means another dungeon - Light Temple.

And then after Zelda is rescued, she is immediately captured by Ganondorf and taken to his castle, with the rest of the game being the same again.

These changes would improve an already excellent game for me. A more suitable shadow temple sage, Sheik as his own character, and an additional dungeon. Alas though, just what ifs on my part.

Do you like this idea, or do you just prefer it as the way it is?

PS - I also think that the Moon from MM should have been a fully fledged dungeon.

Last edited:

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Just a useless "what if" from me, but I wanted to get it off my chest and see if people thought this would have been a good idea...

It never sat well with me that Impa is the sage of the shadow temple. I guess it works, but it always stuck out as a bit of a sore thumb to me, because Impa is a recurring character throughout many zelda games, and I think it would have suited more to have a "one time" character be the sage of the shadow temple.

So who? I think it would have been great if it turned out to be the kid who plays around the graveyard, obviously 7 years older as a young adult, probably a similar age to Link. Furthermore, they should have named him Mido, as to go with the whole AOL towns named after the sages, plus Vah Medoh divine beast would make a little more sense too. As for the actual Mido, the useless Kokiri, just give him another name.

So what happened to Impa after the 7 years then? Well I thought, maybe she could be protecting Zelda in the temple of Light. So what about Sheik then? Well, have Sheik as his own character (yes, "his"), he could be the son of Impa, sent to guide Link. Then instead of revealing himself as Zelda, Sheik then sends Link to the temple of light to meet up with Zelda, but has to rescue her as beasts have taken over the temple of light, thus having to re-awaken Rauru, which means another dungeon - Light Temple.

And then after Zelda is rescued, she is immediately captured by Ganondorf and taken to his castle, with the rest of the game being the same again.

These changes would improve an already excellent game for me. A more suitable shadow temple sage, Sheik as his own character, and an additional dungeon. Alas though, just what ifs on my part.

PS - I also think that the Moon from MM should have been a fully fledged dungeon.

Wouldn't work calling them Mido because as we discover in WW Mido did in fact turn out to be a sage, not of shadow but of wind (though gods know why as it's be smarter to have a kokiri earth sage)

For the most part the games fine as it is, because we see Impa always in the role of caretaker, which is what the entire shadow temple is, it's the greek underworld (or zelda interpretation) we've even got the ferry ride, who better than a royal custodian to take care of the souls of the dead as they traverse the underworld?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor

It is not the same Impa

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Impa is always depicted in a mentor type role. She is always Zelda's guardian in some capacity, associated with the royal family, and acts as a mentor to Link and as a frequent catalyst for Link's adventure. It makes perfect sense for her to be a sage. In Ocarina, she's a guardian and for all intents and purposes could be wise beyond her years. She's a high profile member of a secret order of ninjas in service to the royal family who have major influence in Hyrule and also their only known public face. And OoT Impa herself has been influential in Hyrule as the founder of Kakariko and the one who opened it to the common folk.

Impa had the good sense not only to listen to Princess Zelda when no one else would, but to flee with her just before Ganondorf could get her. With no other apparent recourse she also helped coordinate Link's venture at Zelda's behest by giving him essential intel, which makes her the only adult character in the entire game to be in on Link and Zelda's plan and render direct aid to their cause. Impa was also presumably responsible for training and disguising Zelda as Sheikah after they went into hiding.

Impa has all the makings of a sage. Wise, hands on, capable. In fact, Impa makes the most sense for being a sage out of all of OoT's sages. The Sheikah are also expressly associated with the Shadow Temple. No other character with any strong presence in the story has any greater direct connection. Impa's close personal ties to the royal family would also make her a suitable candidate. As a Sheikah, she may also know magic, which would seem like a perquisite to being a sage, and would also possibly make her the only one of Ocarina of Time's "stand-in" sages at all likely to have any sort of magic ability aside from Saria and her inherent spiritual sense.

To make Sheik his own character and sage of the shadow temple, you would have to introduce him in the child portion of the game. Every sage has ties to Link's childhood, including Naburoo even though her introduction takes place after the seven years later turning point. Making Sheik his own separate character would also severely detract from Zelda's character or at least significantly change the nature of her character.

Wouldn't work calling them Mido because as we discover in WW Mido did in fact turn out to be a sage, not of shadow but of wind (though gods know why as it's be smarter to have a kokiri earth sage)

Fado was the wind sage before Makar. Or was it mentioned that Mido was also a sage?

To make Sheik his own character and sage of the shadow temple, you would have to introduce him in the child portion of the game. Every sage has ties to Link's childhood, including Naburoo even though her introduction takes place after the seven years later turning point. Making Sheik his own separate character would also severely detract from Zelda's character or at least significantly change the nature of her character.

I proposed that Sheik was just a character but not a sage, my proposition for shadow sage was the graveyard kid, who does have contact with young link (albeit optional).

Either way though, I indeed agree that Impa has all the qualities of a sage. Just thought I'd propose an alternate what if scenario.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Fado was the wind sage before Makar. Or was it mentioned that Mido was also a sage?

Argh i knew i had em mixed up but wasn't sure how. heh no it was Fado, fairly sure that fado was meant to be a sage in OOT for one of it's missing dungeons but that got scrapped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom