• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Shadow or Spirit Temple First?

Majora16

KOOLOO-LIMPAH!
As most of you know, it is possible to do the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple, or vice versa. Which one do you do first and which do you think is supposed to be first? I found it rather odd that the Spirit Temple is usually done last but the medallions on the file selection screen show the Shadow Temple as the last medallion (except light). The same goes for your song list on the pause screen. Nocturne of Shadow is placed after the Requiem of Spirit even though the rest of the temple-warping songs are in order. Do you think that maybe the Spirit Temple was meant to come before the Shadow Temple? (or maybe that was the original intent but taken out) I personally like to save the Spirit Temple for last because it's my favorite and I'm used to doing it that way. What about you?

Btw, I just finished OoT for the first time in my life, TODAY! :D

13foxes

I've always done the Shadow Temple and Spirit Temple in this order: Bottom of the Well -> Go fort 7 years, get pass the desert and learn the warp song -> Spirit Temple Child -> Spirit Temple Adult -> Shadow Temple. Because I was a little scared of the Shadow Temple, so I wanted to save it for last. I really dislike dark and creepy place, with the creepy music...

You can get through the Spirit Temple without the Hover Boots. Jumping could replace them easily (I don't know if it's a glitch or not, because it seems like you're supposed to use the Hover Boots). The Hover Boots was only needed to get the silver rupee in the room with 3 rolling boulders, and to get to the Colossus's left hand though.

I think, the Shadow Temple is supposed to be before the Spirit Temple. Because Navi was telling you to go to the Shadow Temple first. It's that simple. About the order of the warp songs and the medallions, I think it was the time order. As a child we go to Spirit Temple, so that means we entered that temple first. Then, 7 years latter we came to the Shadow Temple, so it's the second one. Or, simpler, those things doesn't mean anything, they was just telling us that we could do temples in our own orders, we didn't have to do as Navi said all the time. And the colors of the medallions when they stand in that order (yellow-green-red-blue-orange-purple) looks really good.

Last edited:

hylianbeast

Sage of Destiny
I think the game was meant for you to clear the bottom of the well, then the spirit temple, then the shadow temple. I think you can actually clear the temples in any order you want.

I always did the shadow temple first because it was at kakariko village so its quicker and easier to get to but i have tried it the other way and it felt weird to me

Jetter

Type to myself in silence
When I was playing OoT I got to the Longshot and stopped the Water Temple. I then explored and found the Spirit Temple. I Completed that place and Finished the Water Temple with a walkthrough on Youtube. I Did the Shadow temple after this.

Personally, i like the Spirit temple more so...

When I first played it, I went to the Spirit temple. I thought that was the way to go!

Also, I did that with the fire and forest temples. I did the fire first.

It's meant to do it in sequence: Forest, fire, water, shadow then spirit. But, who cares! Sequence breaking for the win!

Kybyrian

I always did the Shadow Temple before the Spirit Temple, but did notice on my recent playthrough that the song list places the Requiem of Spirit before the Nocturne of Shadows, and the same goes for their medallions. I believe there was only one occasion on which I did the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple, just to be doing it.

I had always though of it this way:

Enter the Kakariko, see the village burning, and Sheik is standing in front of the well. Sheik gets attacked and then so do you. Learn the Song of Storms if you hadn't already, go to the Windmill as a child and drain the well, get the Lens of Truth. Now, since you were already in Kakariko, and Sheik taught you the Nocturne of Shadows whenever you were there, it seems like you should go there first, so I always did that. I believe that Navi even gives the hints in the order of the Shadow Temple and then Spirit Temple, correct?

Makes no sense how they put the Requiem of Spirit before the Nocturne of Shadow, as well as the medallions if they're going to make it seem obvious to go to the Shadow Temple first. Maybe they just put the Requiem of Spirit before the Nocturne of Shadow as a hint to let people know you can do them out of the traditional order?

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
The game likely intended for you to do the Shadow first ...

-Navi hints to go to Kakariko after you've done the Water Temple
-Sheik teaches you the Nocturne of Shadow
-You warp to and enter the temple only to learn you need the 'eye of truth' to proceed to the depths of the temple
-You go back in time to get the lens from the bottom of the well
-Now that you have what you need for the Shadow Temple, you go back to the future and complete it, getting the hover boots along the way which were intended (not required though) to be used at least once in the Spirit Temple.

Of course it's not required that you do it that way, but it's the order in which the game guides you.

Last edited:

lilwilly

Swordless Link
Shadow temple first. The silver gauntlets or the mirror shield in the Shadow temple. Make since?

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I do the Shadow Temple first. Because Navi is telling you to check out the well, ans I believe the Well part is in the Shadow Temple quest. After you beat the Shadow Temple, Navi tells you to go to the desert.

I did the Shadow Temple because that's how the game is suppose to be, but, hey, there are stuffs in the Zelda games that can be done irregularly like going to Morpha's chamber without the longshot, getting the Master Sword without the 3 Spiritual Stones, facing Ganondorf with an empty bottle, going to the Shadow Temple without playing the Nocturne of Shadow, completing LoZ without a sword, ect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom