• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Sexuality in Zelda

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
A game is not a next-gen game without jiggle physics, as far as I'm concerned. The PS5 and Xbox Two and Wii U2 will hopefully have dedicated JPUs (Jiggle Processing Unit).

I'm just looking forward to soul calibur 6, I imagine they will make the breasts bigger still, and hopefully they will add a sound effect to the breasts themselves. When they go up and down you will hear 'Boing! boing! boing!'

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I'm just looking forward to soul calibur 6, I imagine they will make the breasts bigger still, and hopefully they will add a sound effect to the breasts themselves. When they go up and down you will hear 'Boing! boing! boing!'

throwing-money.gif

Sold!

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I haven't bothered to get a good look at Cia, yet. I don't have a Wii U and don't specifically plan to get one, so I somewhat ignore "those games I cannot get, until I get the system for them." Hyrule Warriors interests me, but I'm more into my 3DS right now...

Eh. The girls from Soul Calibur always bothered me because they aren't really built to fight. I've seen some comics along those lines - Ivy and others going "Oh, the back-pain!" I think programmers and designers for games ought to study actual females, female athletes and the like. I know it's all fantasy, but there are certain things that being "top-heavy" and certain clothing make more difficult. It's not about not "showing off one's assets," it's having unrealistic assets. Then again, overly-muscled men bother me, too. I understand strength, but after a certain degree of bodybuilding, things start getting ugly. I've also heard that some bodybuilders who do it for the contests and cosmetics actually have some problems with rigidity - as in, there is a point where a strong man is so muscular he cannot actually fight.

Being playful with sexualized things doesn't bother me too much in games or fiction in general. I mean, the innuendo in Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword is *hilarious.* I also like how, as mentioned, Nintendo plays with the Fan Disservice, as well - that is, "fanservice" type things applied to things no pervy young fan wants them applied to - such as fat, naked bathing Headmasters and Moblin-jiggles!

It's just, there is a point at which one has to worry about characters getting objectified - but you can't listen to everyone's complaints about games you like because some people have little sense of humor.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I just really don't like pointless sexualization. There are women who dress sexually by their own free will, because it's just how they're comfortable and happy dressing. And that's fine, but I don't want to see someone who has a personality that defines them as someone who wouldn't dress that way dressed like a pin-up model--I'm going to have a problem with that. That being said, I don't really like when games have only one type of character either--whether that character is that hugely muscled he-man-type character, or the sexy bombshell type character. I don't mind sexualization as long as it's not bombarded at me from every angle. I just want variety in characters and their designs; and I fail to see how that's at all an unreasonable request.

As for my thoughts on Cia, well... She is said to clearly state her desires and have a provocative attitude. Also, she's pining after someone, which means she's probably aiming to impress. I think her outfit and design reflects that, so...I think it's okay. Now, if it were Zelda or Impa dressed like that, I wouldn't be happy. As for Ghirahim, well... his design emphasized his provocative and flamboyant personality, so I don't have an issue with it either. And if it were someone like Link dressed like that, again, I wouldn't be happy. As long as I'm given diversity in character designs and boobs/steroid-pumped muscles aren't shoved in my face everywhere I look, I'm fine.

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
This is a ridiculous argument, it would be an issue in Zelda if all of the female characters were treated like they are in games such as DoA or SoulCalibur, but its not the case. Just because a few characters aren't dressed like nuns and the series drops a few dirty references every now and then does not mean there is some kind of issue that deserves attention.
There are times when over-sexualization is a legitimate issue, and times where people are just making dumb things into controversy, I'm not trying to attack the OP in any way because I know all he is doing is starting a topic for discussion, I'm just adding in my two cents.

This isn't a game solely developed by Nintendo. We don't know what else could await us in-game. Maybe Cia's breasts are just the beginning. Or maybe that's the only major hint of sexuality. Who knows? I don't think her size shouldn't be viewed in a negative light necessarily. Big breasts can symbolize power or dominance in some forms of media. It's kind of like the whole Link ponytail debacle of whether Link is a woman in Zelda U. Sure, ponytails are seen as a more feminine feature, but in Japanese media, it's nothing new to see on guys. Sure, big breasts are seen as something that is meant to oversexualize the character, but in Japanese media, some women have big breasts, and they aren't mentioned or referred to as sexual at all. It's nothing new.

Salem

SICK
The Zelda series is E-rated(with one exception) no I think they shouldn't do something too drastic.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The Zelda series is E-rated(with one exception) no I think they shouldn't do something too drastic.

The series has different ratings depending on the games.WW was7+, both SS and TP were rated 12+ which is the same rating as Soul calibur 5, a game with blatant sexualisation of characters. I don't think Nintendo will ever have a game with bare breasts or anything like that to up the ratings, I personally feel they could get away with more if they so desired and keep the same sort of rating.

Salem

SICK
The series has different ratings depending on the games.WW was7+, both SS and TP were rated 12+ which is the same rating as Soul calibur 5, a game with blatant sexualisation of characters. I don't think Nintendo will ever have a game with bare breasts or anything like that to up the ratings, I personally feel they could get away with more if they so desired and keep the same sort of rating.
I was talking about the NA ratings.

TP was Teen rated, SS was E-10+.

despite all that, I don't think it's good idea to overdo it. In fact that fairy from TP was pushing it I think?

Usually I'm annoyed by oversexualizing women, but Cia's appearance (and the Zelda series in general) is far more tamer than something like Soul Calibur or DOA. Now those series take oversexualization of women way too far.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Went to the wiki and got a good look at Cia.

Oh, she's definitely fanservice. Her outfit reminds me a bit of large-form Midna's. This game is obviously aimed at the older fans. However, it's not horrible-bad or anything... I mean, she shows skin and wears stuff I wish I was proportioned enough to wear (I've got the chest, but I've also got the junk in the trunk to match....) but it's not to the point where she's wearing a pair of zepplins. In real world land, though, that melon-armor would get awfully sweaty.

Let's hope this all stays a matter of "knowing how to bring all the fanboys to the yard" without getting...stupid... like some other games.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I guess the design was influenced by the fact that this is also a Dynasty Warriors game, so they have to appeal to that demographic too. I'll admit that is, err, slightly over the top in terms of Zelda - it would be hilarious seeing the pitch on the design of Cia though... "So guys, here's Cia's chest area, as you can see she is very well endowed, DDs, to be more specific" -- "Ah great choice Mr Anouma".

I would think they made her assets stand out for a certain reason or purpose. I'm thinking they wanted to create a dominant, intimidating, sensuous, but also, feisty female antagonist. I guess it kind of links into her affection with Link as they're clearly making love/lust a more, let's say, obvious theme than the blurred lines between love and friendship that usually exist within the series.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
I don't really mind using it in the series, as long as it's functional. But it doesn't really fit in with the style and tradition. So, I don't know of it would work for character design. But that doesn't mean the series doesn't joke around with sexuality now and then. Take these dialogs for example.

Link_e3a55b_97437.jpg

poe.png

I love these kind of jokes, because the young players don't get them. Neither did I when I was playing the game first. Nintendo jokes around with it sometimes, but the never should add sexuality because of sexuality in the game, if you understand where I'm going with that? But, as long as it adds to the story or character design, I wouldn't mind, as long as they don't over-do it.

Recently with the announcement of Cia in Hyrule Warriors, who is a very well endowed woman there have been complaints by certain individuals that she is over sexualized and sexuality has no place in Zelda games.

Sexuality has been present since OOT with the great faries, who have massive breasts and wear only vines to cover their parts. There is also Nabooru who implies something sexual towards link after he rescues her. In the original Link's Awakening, a certain mermaid character loses her bra, however it was changed to her necklace is the American version. In Twilight Princess there is Telma the busty barmaid and the flamboyant Falbi who is blatantly supposed to be a gay character.
Skyward Sword allows you to spy on your naked headmaster in the bath, and then there is Ghirahim, who wears revealing clothing and acts in a provocative and sensual manner towards link.

What I'm trying to say is that, there are those that say 'this or that has no place in Zelda', but Zelda is a game series full of diversity, it can include a variety of different themes, it's not like the entire game is just oversexualized and perverted because of the inclusion of just a few characters. There are a range of personalities and characteristics in real people so it can be the same in Zelda.

The problem is the 'meaning' that people have attributed to the thing in question. What exactly is "oversexualization" and "perversion"? Why does a woman with enlarged breasts invoke the 'feelings' or the reactions that it does, when it shouldn't?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
II think the extent of showing affection in the series should be kissing. Honestly I don't know why nintendo has avoided it for so long, its not like its something really bad. Adding kissing would satisfy what the fans who want more romance in the series are looking for, so they may as well just do it finally. Anything more than that would be going too far, I don't think we should get a zelda game that has content you may find in the witcher or anything like that. Adding such stuff would make a lot of people mad. So nintendo shouldn't go all out and make an M rated game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom