• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sexual Objectification in Smash Bros 4

This is something that's kind of been bothering me for a while, but I didn't know if it was really brought up on a major scale on this forum yet or not. I know this topic might technically fall under "Mature Discussion" or something, but I'd rather we keep it here as it's an issue that is, unfortunately, present throughout a vast amount of the gaming industry, and even the community that comes with said industry. I'm isolating Smash in particular because I feel that it's something we can all relate to on a Ninendo-themed forum, and it's something that can stimulate the most conversation out of a large portion of games that feature the same problem.

Ever since Little Mac was officially revealed, I couldn't help but feel inadequate because of his design. As you can probably tell from the screenshots below, there's a major thing I take issue with:

screen-2.jpg
screen-4.jpg

If it's not obvious, Little Mac is being portrayed with massive muscles, and being able to uppercut "lesser" individuals that aren't as strong as him. Yes, I understand that some men in real life have these proportions; but is it really necessary to portray a man in such a way in this video game when such a small part of the male population has as well developed muscles as him? It's obvious, in Smash 4, that other males don't need these muscles in order to potentially succeed in a fight. So why take what's commonly viewed as sexually desirable, male muscles, and exaggerate them in such a way that makes players like me feel inadequate? This is obvious pandering to the female audience, and, in essence, down-values Little Mac as a character to just a mass of sex-appeal muscles.

But really, I could look past one instance. Yeah, I get that sex sells, and they might want to appease females/gay men with a single character. But the fact that Little Mac isn't an isolated instance makes me all the more uncomfortable. Below, we also have the likes of the new burly Ike, and the somewhat newly revealed Captain Falcon.

screen-1.jpg
tumblr_n980d58fiK1qzp9weo9_500.jpg

I have the same problem with Ike as I do Little Mac. Ike had a perfect, nonsexual design in the past; why did the developers feel the need to put him on steroids, when his past design was a very moderately depicted character that did him justice on a personal level? Adding MORE overly-toned muscles is something that was completely unnecessary, and does nothing but further pander to a sex-crazed audience that shouldn't exist.

Captain Falcon is even WORSE, being shown in disgusting sexual poses that do nothing but pay disgrace to his series and his character. What guy's rear-end really looks like that? And the nipples and perfect abs make the sexual positions even worse. Yuck.

But it doesn't even end there! Just when you thought the sexist pandering was over with the above three, we get yet ANOTHER instance, being revealed just yesterday:

screen-8.jpg

There is so much wrong with this picture, I hardly know where to begin. First of all, having Shulk in a swimsuit is completely pointless. It has no advantage in combat, and what male would ever wear just a SWIMSUIT into battle? Not only is this completely inaccurate, it's entirely impractical and insulting to other males who might not have the same assets as Shulk. Second of all, this completely discounts Shulk as a character. Having played and enjoyed Xenoblade, Shulk is portrayed as a strong-willed, independent man who is actually rather easy to relate to. But instead, he's been reduced to nothing more than a body and a revealing swimsuit, furthering the insult to an awesome character that I totally didn't make up character traits for in my head. Thirdly, the sexual implications of this picture are DISGUSTING. A swimsuit Shulk getting ready to pounce on a helpless, unconscious Luigi.... I have nothing wrong with subtle gay messaging, but to reduce a character like Shulk to something like this makes me sick to my stomach, especially since I like him so much. Just...... bleh.

Like I said at the beginning, this issue of over-sexualization of the male body isn't exclusive to just Smash; it's rampant in other series, particularly fighting games. I'm not the kind of person that's going to create a petition or anything, but I feel as if this really needs to be said. Do you agree that males are misrepresented in today's gaming industry? And, more importantly, do you endorse this kind of treatment of the male body in future games?

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Would you like some peanut butter for your jelly?

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Yeah I completely agree with you. I mean people in today's society completely ignore male sexualization. I think that they put these kinds of things in this game so when there is one remote instance of female sexualization in the game, they can back it up by saying that it has been done to the other gender too. I don't endorse this kind of treatment for males at all, and I think this treatment should be left for the females alone.

Jamie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

There's a little thing you're ignoring called context. Having said that, it's weird that Smash, of all games, is receiving so much attention for this when it's pretty tame compared to other fighting games.

I think it would be intelligent to elaborate on it instead of just providing a Wikipedia link.

Big Octo

=^)
You make an excellent point and I agree with you in full. I can't believe Sakurai would include such unrealistic and offensive visuals. If he doesn't appeal to body standards that are the norm by including a wider variety of body types, then he's lost my buy. For shame.

Hell, even when he attempts to include physiques that vary from this over-sexualized filth, Sakurai still makes an unforgivable mistake. Take a look at Mario:

screen-6.jpg

Clearly he has something of a beer belly going on. However, he is clearly shown to be incredibly acrobatic as well as adeptly athletic. This sets unrealistic standards for heavier-set men and potential fans. Surely Sakurai will not receive support in the form of sales from the overweight males demographic.

Jamie

Lack of satire radar detected.
No he gets it, he's saying that the point Vergo is making (that female oversexualization is exaggerated while people pay no mind to males) is moot because it is a false equivalence. However he has provided no reasoning to back this up.

No he gets it, he's saying that the point Vergo is making (that female oversexualization is exaggerated while people pay no mind to males) is moot because it is a false equivalence. However he has provided no reasoning to back this up.

Having males with muscular bodies =/= sexualizing them. In the context of a fighting game, a strong, buff dude makes sense, it's practical and utilitarian. Its main purpose isn't to give the female players some eyecandy, it's to endow the player with a feeling of strength and superiority. A sexualized female with exaggerated proportions isn't practical in battle, and its only purpose is eyecandy.

Let me clarify right now that while I do think Smash 4 is guilty of ramping up Samus' sex appeal unnecessarily, her alt costume is fair game and overall Smash is pretty good about avoiding blatant over-sexualization. Hope that clears up what I meant.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I absolutely endorse this kind of treatment in future games, there is no problem at all. I can't even relate to male characters who aren't sexy and musclebound, so video games seem to be going in the right direction especially with things like Gears of War. i really think keeping mario the way he is setting a bad example, encouraging overweightness, he has a blatant beer belly and is obviously overindulgent. I think he should go on a diet and look more like

untitled (10).jpg

THIS

As for female characters let me just get this out there. Games just aren't right without women in skimpy outfits showing off their well developed bouncing breasts, developers who don't add jiggle physics are just lazy. I'm so glad they made a Samus in that sexy shorts and bra outfit and I really hope for a Rosalina and Peach version too.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
To be fair, Shulk's portrayal above actually comes straight from the game he's in. Xenoblade is very customization-heavy, and one of the apparels he (and others) can garb themselves in is the swimming trunks. I remember playing at a friend's house and accidentally selecting the swimming trunks on Reyn, who is the biggest character; needless to say I was shocked and slightly embarrassed. But additionally, it's possible to "remove" certain gear and have them go shirtless, pantless, and so on, while wearing undergarments. I also found that out by mistake; for example, clicking on a piece of armor twice will equip and unequip it. Of course, none of that justifies the transition to the Super Smash Bros series, yet it provides background reasoning for why it happened.

As a whole, I also agree that the oversexualized character designs are unnecessary. Perhaps the development team intends on exhibiting the graphical capacity of the Wii U (and 3DS), but why put all that effort into the characters and not the backgrounds or stages? Making these apparently mandatory designs for sex appeal does nothing to add to the fighting, and while there's nothing wrong with alternative character skins, they've been getting a little carried away with all this.

Jamie

What do you guys think about making every character nude? If every character including our Miis are completely naked, then we are all on even playing fields. If your Mii is inadequate in certain areas (muscle definition, genitalia, etc.) then tough luck. Step it up, senpai.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom