• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Serious Problems with the Save System? Anybody Else?

I always feel a little alone when discussing the 3-Day Cycle and it's mechanics because sometimes I seem to be the only one who had no problem with it whatsoever. :xd:

I thought it was a really unique and interesting mechanic, gave the game a lot of it's own personality, and really added to the feel. It also allowed a lot more depth to the characters and story (people really moved to this location at whatever time), and it made things feel a lot more real, which I enjoyed. Overall it's added a lot more complexity, which, surprisingly, is something the 3D titles have lacked (especially lately).

I've also hardly ever actually had trouble with the time limit, like with trying to finish the dungeon before time runs out. I always play the Song of Inverted Time and start the dungeon immediately at the beginning of the three days. The only time it ever made me sweat was when I completed Stone Tower Temple and then was trying to finish it 100% by collecting all the stray fairies... I almost ran out of time. :sweat: But it was exhilarating, and it was only that once so I didn't mind.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I didn't have any serious problems, actually. 90% of the time, I'd just play the Song of Time to save the game after finishing anything I wanted to keep.

I still didn't care for the save system, though. It really made me sweat during thunderstorms, because there was no way to save in case you lost power. I also got pushed right to the edge with the Great Bay Temple, to the point I was freaking out. In Stone Tower Temple, I ended up being so worried about the time that I just skipped the Stray Fairies altogether, even though I was very close to a 100% completion rating. I ended up half-arsing the game after that in a mad dash to complete it, skipping the last hidden Heart Piece on land, and not bothering with the four Heart Pieces on the moon, or the Fierce Deities Mask.

I would really have preferred to have the option of saving in the middle of a cycle, and starting from there as many times as I liked until I decided to reset time and save again. I didn't care for doing things over.

In other words, it was more of an issue because time limits combined with restricted saving make me paranoid than anything else.

Last edited:

Austin

Austin
With the song of slow time, I found there was plenty of time to do stuff. It was a minor nuisance to have to occasionally go back in time, but it wasn't super nuisance. Majora's Mask was a game you're able to play in either short or long time intervals (depending on who you are). It wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't my least favorite.

Wielder of Aegis

Greetings everypony!
When I first played it I was confused cause you can't save until you get the ocarina from Skull Kid. So if you wanna start a new game, you have to have some time on your hands. I really don't like the save system in MM. What the heck happened to pausing and pressing b?!

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
You only have to rant about it if you are not smart enough to make advantage of it.
I think that MM's saving system is one of the best in the series, imo

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
If I recall correctly(haven't played Mujura no Kamen in a loooooong time), the weren't even there in the Japanese version.
You could only save via Song of Time

S

Super Stalfo

i hated the save system because if your game froze when you were doing something really important you would have to do it all over again it happened to me way to many times to count...

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I have had MM for like, almost 10 years and it never, not even once froze on me.
And no one I know had that happening.
Unless you are, of course, playing either a defective copy or on an emulator

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I don't mind the saving for the most part. The only time it bothers me if when I'm in the middle of a dungeon/quest and I want to stop playing for the time being. :P
Then I use the owl statues, but then until I finish what I'm doing, I have to keep going back to the statues.

And the game froze up on me once or twice in CE, but otherwise, it's been fine.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I always used to say the saving featrue was my favorite part of the game because it was the only LoZ game that let you replay everything without having to start over. But I would be lying if I said I never complained about it. My 64 that I played MM on was really ragidy and would freeze or cut off if you touched it ever so slightly. Also after you beat the Snowhead temple, they take you back to the mountain village and I would forget to bring the fairies back to the fountain. So the saving thing has gotten on my nerves. But other than my personal issues, the system doesn't seem that bad to me. The whole thing with time stressing seemed like apart of the game to me. If you were running out of time, you were suppose to panic. That's what the game is about. I remember stressing over things like the skulluta house, and the faires in the water temple because I kept coming closed to running out of time while finding them. And if you have trouble with the losing the unimportant items, that's why you can save rupees. There are shops right next to the bank that you could go to and get stuff (excluding bombchus) though I never had trouble just going through Termina field for a few minutes collecting things

CZG

Apart from being not the best game to play for 15 minutes or so....
I never had much trouble with the saving system, unless it was diner time when I was halfway through a dungeon.

Do I save and quit? Do I go outside the dungeon to save at an owl statue? Do I just press pause and play a bit tonight. Will I be in bed by 2 o' clock at night in that case? Well, at least we did have owl statues in the PAL version. If only they would have placed them at the entrance to the dungeons... Just because I don't want to play at least two hours straight, not all the time anyway...

The Japanese version would take me a long time to beat, playing only in the weekends in which you have at least three continious hours without obligations.

Storywise, it was the most fun saving system however, and I hope the'd bring it back sometime in one way or another.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Honestly, the save system was the reason I stopped playing MM.

Don't get me wrong, I thought that the save system was a great idea and made for very interesting gameplay. The problem was that it didn't work with my real life needs. I never have more than maybe an hour to play uninterrupted. I like to save constantly because there's usually some sort of interruption that forces me to stop completely. I'm also extremely paranoid about time limits, especially in dungeons where I like to take my time and look everywhere. Didn't help that the MM temples were really rather easy to get lost in.

However, putting aside personal/real-life problems with the save system, it also seriously bugged me that I couldn't keep any ammunition or bottled items. I mean, if you can keep the bottle, why can't you keep what originally came with the bottle if you hadn't used it yet? I can't say how many times I've gone off to a temple or something and realized partway through that I had no arrows. In the end I just couldn't take it anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom