• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Serious Problems with the Save System? Anybody Else?

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
@random person: You can't blame the game if the problems are with the hardware, imo.
If your console was defective, it has nothing to do with the quality of the game, imo

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker
I love the save system in MM, I think it is very unique. It forces you to prioritize, and it reflects reality in forcing you to realize that you can't do everything, that you have to make decisions and that said decisions might not always end up with the most effective results. It really makes MM stand out in the Zelda series and that is another reason I enjoy the save system.

I think the best part of the save system in MM was that it let the NPCs appear to have lives more real than the lives of the NPCs in Other Zelda games. They walked around and, because they were reliving the same three days it was believable that they would do the exact same things at the exact same times over those three days. (Unless you interfere in their lives, of course.) It made the NPCs interesting, it was fun to experiment with their schedules. And fortunately, in MM there are tons of sidequests to choose from, making experimenting with the NPC time schedules more rewarding.

Then of course, there is the issue of running out of time while in a dungeon, or fighing a boss. I don't recall actually running out of time on my first playthrough. (I did it on purpose just to see what would happen once or twice.) This is because I learned that you could slow down time by playing the Song of Time backwards, it made things much easier to organize and manage. There were times where I missed the deadlines for certain sidequests though, or came close to running out of time.

Overall, I think the save system in MM allowed for greater depth in NPCs than any Zelda before it, and I think that it is one of the defining features of MM. It simply wouldn't be the same without it. I can't help but love the save system in MM, it's to interesting for me to not enjoy it.

Last edited:

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I am totally with you, Super Silly.
Even though I think that it only worked that well because it fitted with the game's storyline.
Let's say, if ALttP, for example, had that save system, wouldn't be so cool

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
Yes, I do agree that the save system is a bit of a problem in the game especially when you lose certain items and the progress you have when you travel back in time to do so. But there's also another way to save the game without having to travel back in time.

You know those owl statues that you see around at certain places? Well, if you hit those with the sword making it's wings fly out and then talk to it, it will allow you to save your game without having to play the Song of Time. Having those statues there makes it a lot easier to save your game and come back later to play it.

O fcourse, there isn't an owl statue in every single place.

It's annoying that when your system freezes and you can't save obsessively like I always do when I get a new item or song or whatnot. Which happened to me last time I played Majora's Mask. I got all the eggs, got the song, was playing the temple, had the boss key too I think and then BUZZZ it froze. All that progress...POOF...so yeah I was pissed. I do think it's a unique way of doing things but you can't exactly just get up and go, you have to play a song and then again once you're out of the dungeon and then go all the way back to where you were before. It's one of those games you need to play in phases, you can't just do a little here and a little there.

lilwilly

Swordless Link
I always hated the save system because arrows bombs rupees deku stick etc. where lost. thats why idont play as much now

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Nah, I don't have a problem with any of the Zelda save systems. Sure they can be a hassle every so often, but you learn to get over it and be glad that you can atleast save your game. I remember the days when you couldn't save your games and that sucked having to do everything over again.

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
Yeah, I didn't like the save system in MM much either. I was trapped on the moon with very little chance of beating Majora and getting to a save point (I hadn't saved since before the final dungeon, so I would have to do it over again if I were to quit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom