• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Serenity

Arkatox

Travelling Outcast
Me and my family just saw it.

Serenity is a movie that takes place after the HUGE hit TV sci-fi series Firefly. The series was such a huge hit that when it was cancelled (even before the first season was done), the fan movement to get the show running again was so large that the producers made a movie.

As implied, you really should watch the series first, because then the movie is so much easier to understand. My dad had watched the movie like a few years ago, and he told us that he didn't watch the series first, so he didn't exactly know what was going on for the first like half of the movie.

Anyway, to summerize that, watch the series, then the movie.

So, has anyone seen the movie? I thought it was really good, actually.

I saw it. Saw a bit of the series too. I didn't watch it when it was new, mind you. I'm pretty sure I was just watching some reruns on Scifi (back when it was Scifi, not Syfy >.< ).

The movie was very good. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, actually. The plot was pretty interesting, as were the characters. And the dialogue and humor were very well implemented, IMO.

Although, I didn't personally think it would be that difficult at all to catch on to what was going on without seeing the series. Maybe that's just because I have seen some of the series. I don't know.

That movie had some awesome lines, by the way. :P

"We might experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."
"Sure would be nice if we had some GRENADES right about now!"
"Dude killed me with his sword. How weird is that?"

:xd:

Arkatox

Travelling Outcast
The series is the type of series where you really should watch them all in order, otherwise you won't understand near as much. That's the reason why you should watch the series before the movie.

Also, the series had a lot more of those awesome lines than the movie did, btw.

I picked some up from the Firefly/Serenity Wiki:

Zoë: Proximity alert. Must be coming up on something.
Wash: [alarmed] Oh my god. What can it be? We're all doomed! Who's flying this thing!? [deadpan] Oh right, that would be me. Back to work.

Zoë: Now we have a boatful of citizens right on top of our... stolen cargo. That's a fun mix.
Mal: Ain't no way in the 'verse they could find that compartment, even [stops talking as a passenger walks past] Even if they were lookin' for it.
Zoë: Why not?
Mal: 'Cause... ?
Zoë: Oh yeah, this is gonna go great.
Mal: If anyone gets nosy, just, you know... shoot 'em.
Zoë: Shoot 'em?
Mal: Politely.

Simon: Are you Alliance?
Jubal Early: Am I a lion?
Simon: What?
Early: I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well though, I have a mighty roar.
Simon: I said "Alliance."
Early: Oh, I thought...
Simon: No, I was...
Early: That's weird.

Book: If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.

Zoë: Captain will come up with a plan.
Kaylee: That's good. Right?
Zoë: Possibly you're not recalling some of his previous plans.

River: They weren't cows inside. They were waiting to be, but they forgot. Now they see the sky and they remember what they are.
Mal: Is it bad that what she said made perfect sense to me?

[Wash, playing with plastic dinosaurs.]
Wash's Stegosaurus: Yes. Yes, this is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... "This Land.".
Wash's Allosaurus: I think we should call it "your grave!".
Stegosaurus: Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Allosaurus: Har har har! Mine is an evil laugh! Now die!
[The Allosaurus attacks the Stegosaurus.]

Jayne: Ten percent of nothing is, let me do the math here, nothing into nothing, carry the nothin'...
Mal: Jayne, your mouth is talking. You might wanna look to that.

. . . Ooh, it's so much better when you watch the series! We (as in my family) have it on DVD, along with Serenity.

EDIT: For some reason all of the links (which I actually didn't intend to include) go to the Zelda Dungeon Wiki instead of the Firefly/Serenity Wiki.

MOTLEYlink

...No your other left
I loved Serenity!!! Firefly was great too, it managed to gain a dedicated following though the series its self was short lived.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Zoe: Doesn't your good book have a lot to say against killin'?
Book: Quite a lot, actually, but it's a little fuzzy on the area of kneecaps.

Firefly and Serenity..... YES!

I've had the privilage of borrowing the comics that Dark Horse is putting out from a friend.

Did you know that the series was inspired by anime? No lie. There are several fine space-western anime titles out there. The "Outlaw Star" influence is clear (River's being in a coldsleep box is a *direct shoutout* to a character in that series). I see "Cowboy Bebop" overtones and, I don't know if Joss Whedon would admit to it, but there's quite a bit to Firefly that's a heck of a lot like "Trigun." (All the little backwater desert moon settings... look straight off of Trigun's planet Gunsmoke).

Hanyou

didn't build that
To be honest, I don't understand why this movie and series are so popular.

The characters are all pretty sarcastic (which keeps them from being sympathetic, IMO), the storylines are...well...boring...and the setting is hardly new or unique.

For my space western fix, I watch Trigun or (even better) the original Star Wars. Much, much better storytelling and pacing. Firefly and Serenity are overrated.

Claire

The Geekette
I LOVE Firefly! I liked Serenity too, but, I was sad that Firefly had come to the end. I felt Serenity left way too many questions unanswered. What granted Book the access to medical attention from the Alliance with little to no second thoughts? How did he know about weaponry and how to fire them? That drove me crazy when he died, because I was so curious as to why they gave him clearance. I also really wanted to know what happened with Mal and Inara. I mean, they both had feelings for each other - but they never really told each other. It felt so disappointing not to know if they ever told each other or if she'd give up her career as a companion for him. I also felt Wash's death in Serenity was sort of spontaneous. As if they felt at the last second that there were too many characters, and so in a freak incident he ends up dying. He died and everyone moved in within like a minute! Overall, I just thought Serenity was good, but it wasn't a great way to end the series. It still feels like it hasn't ended, Serenity just left way too many opportunities open to make another spin-off... which I'd love to see. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom