• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Semi Spoilers: Hard Mode Boss Guide

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Defining Hard Mode, as 3 heart challenge on Hero mode, (upgraded items / rented or purchased items up to player discretion)

So while the first play through of the game, you simply have to find ways to kill the boss, this formula changes things, to not how do you kill the boss, but rather how do you not die to the boss.

As even the giant worm boss from hera's tower thats supposed to be just annoying and keep knocking you down, can in fact murder you instantly.

This brings boss battles to the point have having to find a strategy to beat them flawlessly. Made difficult not only by 1 /2 hit deaths the fact your magic meter isn't unlimited and you might have to rely on it for dodging or inflicting harm.

This is open to contribution if you have found a good tactic for dealing with any of the bosses. I am only so far into my hard mode run and haven't had a chance to do every boss yet, god knows this is going to be a uphill battle for every inch ground.

-----------------------------------------

Boss 1, Eastern Palace : Yuga

This battle is pretty easy, just be ready to hit him/her instantly with your bow as they come out of the wall, run over slash a few times, repeat.
Not much else to it.

----------------------------------------
Boss Tower of Hera, Annoying Fuzzy Worm Thing

Ok, There are 2 ways you can do this half way safe.

1st if you have a shield you can simply block the rampaging worm, and try to slash its tail as it goes past, this is not the best way though, as it still puts yourself in alot of undue risk.

2nd There is the hole in the battle arena you fight it in. After you hit the boss, run above the hole, it'll try to charge at your location, hit the edge and turn around, this is your time to get in there and strike at it. Remember you can always block this boss, but you will be knocked back so stay clear of the edge.

3rd, That same hole, you can actually do a very similar tactic to 2nd listed, and use your bow provided you have the bow at the time, after it turns around. And repeat, this is the safest, but maybe a little more tricky.

---------------------------
Boss House of Gales. Senior Beyblade

Ok this one isn't bad at all, just stay behind him as he moves around. Sword attacks work, but your Bow is stronger and lets you keep distance.

Just keep behind and away from him.

worse that can really happen here, is you fall off loosing a half heart, so this is and will probably be the only harmless boss in this challenge.
-------------------------

Yuga 2nd encounter:

Ok this one took me way more tries then I'd like to admit. Granted there was tequila involved in many of them.

So the real trick here is to figure out which one is the real Yuga, and don't loose sight of it.

Caution, make sure to approach him/her from the sides, if you come straight on, you might accidentally bump into shim, which will deal instantly lethal damage.

When Yuga begins to do the wall blasts where they rotate around the room, quickly merge with one of the 2 pillars in the middle, to avoid the fire.

To test which yuga is real, you can shoot at them, if you use the bow, it'll bounce off the real one, the bow will transform the fake ones into soldiers.

I recommend having some sort of aoe weapon though to deal with the soldiers as they come in groups. Nice Fire Rod if you worked to get it already is a big help, it can even hit yuga telling you which one is real. Tornado Rod can also work, but is a bit riskier.

After Yuga's 2nd phase beings, you'll notice if you damage them the painting that goes back into the wall is off center, making it easier to follow. And you can't allow yourself to have to fight a bunch of soldiers, so keep on them once you have them to minimize the risk and length of the battle.

Last edited:

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Updating now as I go. I haven't given ALBW as much of my attention for my challenge run as I did the first run, so this might be slow going.

Dark World:

Ice Ruins, Eye ball on the rocks:
So this battle has 2 real things you need to pay attention to.

1. When he shoots his protective thingamabobs at you, they'll blink an area and you need to get out of it as fast as you can. Once he starts shooting multiples you might find yourself with no where to run, but they don't all shoot off at same time, so if you're quick enough you can dodge the first and run back into that area to avoid the 2nd attack.

2. This move interestingly enough I don't seam to recall seeing this boss use during my first play through, caught me off guard and wasted a fairy. He'll bring in his defenders and then just kinda spin and blast them forwarth. Just stay back on the opposite side of the ring when he does this and you should easily avoid the damage.

Techniques for quickly dispatching him, by this time you already know you need the flame rod to melt his protective armor. Hopefully you have the Upgraded Flame Rod. Since you should have full hp due to dying in a single hit you can't not have full hp really, using your master sword to shoot air slashes at him is a good way to deal damage to him while he runs away from you. Use your flame rod on him at this time too while you chase him with sword beams/ flame pillars, the bow is also a possible good option. I suggest this technique simply because he moves around so much you risk bumping into him/ keeping up to him for a lot of melee attacks is difficult. The fire rod is still the best but a bit tricky as you gota angle its path ahead of the boss to make sure it gets hit several times with it.

Combined upgraded flame pillars and pelting with your sword beams, can drop the boss down in 3 or 4 cycles.

-------------------------------------

Thieves Den, Frank
Ok so frank is pretty dangerous, but luckily the way he moves makes him very open to flame rod and melee attacks combined, leading him to go down pretty fast.

Recommended items: Nice Flame Rod, Invincibility Potion

Note, you can use your shield to block the bosses horizontal swing attacks, but not his over handed vertical attacks.

So quickest way to end this fight is merge with his shield as normal, once you jump behind and strike his back, use the nice flame rod in the direction you think he's going, while thats hitting, get in there with your sword, since Frank's down time cycles are based on time and not damage received this drastically shortens the fight.

Doing this can end the fight with Frank in 3/4 cycles.

It can be difficult to avoid him if he starts his swirling attack, or when he start a multi vertical flurry.

If you don't want to waste any more time then needed, its also possible to pick up an invincibility potion using monster horns and 100 rupees from Irene's Grandmother. Which if used is best saved till after he severs his head, and starts swirling around to let you just get in there and end the fight.

-------------------------------------------------------

Skull Woods, Master Wall Master

Recommended Items: Stamina Scroll, upgraded master sword (you can take the time after finishing the rest of the dungeon to go to the black smith if you have enough Master Ore at this time, no harm in doing so, but you can also just go straight to the boss)

The stamina scroll makes this a breeze

Simply go to the top wall, and wait close enough that the Action Button says merge.

Wait for the Master Wall Master to to Charge at you, then merge right before it hits into the wall, attack with your sword.

After doing this a few times, it'll try to slap the ground, again wait for the moment before it hits, and then merge into the wall. Make sure to leave the wall as soon as its done. You need to recharge your stamina. Merge back in before it slaps the ground again, and leave wall, wait for it to charge merge, and then go at it with your sword.

This boss is really simple if you do it this way, its possible do use the above method without the stamina scroll, but its a bit easier and less risky if you have it.

Alternatively you can attempt to avoid its ground slaps by moving out of the way, but the way it moves, and how slow link is, its possible it can still hit you, and this'll lead to holes in the ground making it more difficult.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom