• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Selling Games

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
This thread is basically to discuss "selling games", whether it be your opinion on it, whether it's better do so and if you actually sell games.

I know I sell games a lot, I don't really own that many games in my household at this current time, as if I do complete said game and if it offers me no more, I will sell it. It's also better for me financially, usually I can sell games for half the price I bought it at on retail, which doesn't sound good, but when I decide to sell a wide range of games that I don't intend to play, I can make a lot of my money back. Only bad thing is that I will sometimes regret making such decisions and decide to re-buy that game at a later point.

So what's your oopinion on selling games? Is it a good thing to do, maybe it's better in the short term but not in the long term etc. Also, do you personally sell games?

Last edited:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Well, I don't ever sell my games, but I had to suffer through brothers selling games we bought full-price for the absolute pittance game stores would offer in order to chip a few pounds off the next greatest release, or a bit of coke. I hated furiously looking for a game I wanted to play only for it to not be there. :(

So, I never sell my games. And I use Steam now almost exclusively so, I couldn't even if I wanted to. :P

Dan

I've barely ever sold a game, the only time I sold games was back when I was around 14, and that was merely a couple. I hoard my games and can't bear to to see one go. Even if the game is an aborted fetus. I still have my copy of shadow the hedgehog and I'm proud to own it. :') The only time I will sell a game is if I have a copy of it, which doesn't happen often unless someone puts an extra "mystery game" into an ebay purchase of a game, these mystery games of course mean some ****** sports game that they can't sell, and merely use the mystery game to convey that the game I'm already purchasing has an extra benefit.

Selling games financially for you is better, depending of course, as it's sometimes better to wait it our and see if that game becomes quite uncommon and fetches a much higher price than it's original retail price which can sometimes happen. JC already mention that it's not a good idea if you regret selling it only to buy it once again. Now when it comes to selling our games, publishers don't like this, because they want to point blame on something because they didn't meet the required sales, and can't simply admit they are at fault. It's now common practice for many people to either wait for a game of the year edition, because people actually want the complete experience, and not have to pay for DLC, or just wait for the game to go on the used market. No one wants to pay $60 for a incomplete game and I'd wager that if you take out the used market people aren't going to buy the game new anyway, simply because they don't have the money.

I have yet to sell any of my games. Although some lack replay value, after not playing them for an extended period of time, I revisit their gameplay. For example, I own a Buzz Lightyear game for the Game Boy Color that takes less than an hour to complete, yet I've poured ten times that into the title because it's simple and addictive.

Additionally, my tastes in videogame have drastically altered over the years. When I was younger, I preferred simpler games like platformers and action-adventure dungeon crawlers; nowadays, I play less frequently but invest a greater amount of time into one play session, exploring genres like RPGs and RTSs. If I hadn't kept deeper, more involved games I lacked the urge to play in earlier years, I would have a significantly smaller library of titles to choose from today.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Well, I've traded in games many times in the past. Mostly in stacks whenever they're having a good promotion that offers more money. Of course, I don't just trade in any game, just the ones I never really cared for or had buyers remorse for. I still have a lot of my games, and I don't plan on trading any of them in. I'm actually trying to make it a habit to keep all my games, crappy or not.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well, I've traded in games many times in the past. Mostly in stacks whenever they're having a good promotion that offers more money. Of course, I don't just trade in any game, just the ones I never really cared for or had buyers remorse for. I still have a lot of my games, and I don't plan on trading any of them in. I'm actually trying to make it a habit to keep all my games, crappy or not.

This describes my feelings pretty well. The only games I make an effort to sell are the ones that are scratched or shizzle. It's actually rather harsh of me to do so; by selling a broken copy, someone else will buy that copy and express dissatisfaction. ;p

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
It usually takes me some time before I decide to sell a game, so I don't get that much money for them. Mostly I decide to sell when I need to clear shelf space and when it becomes blatantly obvious that some games simply do not interest me anymore. I don't think too much about the money I get for them - I mean, sure it's nice to get something for them - but it's more about decluttering my belongings than actually making back some money.

Last edited:

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
This describes my feelings pretty well. The only games I make an effort to sell are the ones that are scratched or shizzle. It's actually rather harsh of me to do so; by selling a broken copy, someone else will buy that copy and express dissatisfaction. ;p

Well, I take care of all my games. When I say crappy, I mean the actual quality of the game.

Nicole

luke is my wife
I've actually been doing some research about where to get the most return for some of my old games. I've got a stack of completely useless Wii games that could get me a decent amount of cash. Over half of them I've only picked up once and haven't touched since then. I have absolutely no idea where to sell them because I know selling them to Gamestop is borderline highway robbery. I don't have an eBay account and I'm not really feeling the whole internet transaction thing (without a reputable source ufeel?). If anyone has any selling suggestions, I'd be extremely grateful please and thank you.

I'd never sell any of my old Gamecube, Gameboy, or DS games. I have a buttload of Gamecube games and they all have sentimental value, so I won't be getting rid of them any time soon. I only have a select few Gameboy and DS games and they're all good games that have replay value to me. Honestly, the only bad decision I've made regarding games is buying them, not selling them. I'm an impulse buyer and I've made plenty of regretful game choices in the past. I don't think I'll regret selling Space Chimps or Petz: Dogz any time soon (my mom bought me both of them don't judge).

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I only sell those that I don't play at all. I have a collection of the games I really like to play, those I never sell because at times I get a sudden temptation to play them again, and I usually do, but that depends on my mood. If there are games I already finished or don't play any more, I will either sell them or pass them off to my nephews and nieces. :cool:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I don't think I have ever sold a game before. I've lost quite a few, and given a couple away, but I've never sold them. I did, however, trade in a non functional copy of the original Donkey Kong for Pokemon Sapphire, without first telling the guy it didn't work. :sweat:

I actually don't have a very extensive library of games, so I would be quite short if I did end up selling some.

K

Katana_Kito

Like others, I can't sell my games. I may pass them onto my younger cousins, but i'd rather not. I still have my Pokemon Yellow, Emerald, Sapphire, and Firered somewhere in my house!

I have never sold a game in my life. I love to keep my games and build up upon my collection. Selling it would be like selling part of myself since every game I have bought is sort of part of me since I wasted so many hours on each one.

...And now that I have transitioned into PC gaming, selling my games is not an option anymore. And I have about 250-300 games on my Steam account. Of course I bought most of these games in bundles that were on really good sales (and have been gifted games as well). Among the many games I have, obviously there are horrible games among the bunch that I wish I can get rid of, but unfortunately I can't sell it off or trade em away. ;_;

Big Octo

=^)
When I was younger, I used to sell games every now and then in order to but new games that would interest me at the time. This way I could get that game faster and not have to earn so much money to buy it. Often times, though, I would regret selling a game.

Nowadays, I like expanding my collection, so I don't sell my games anymore. Earning money is no longer an issue now, though I still have to save if I want to buy a game. I can't really part with any game in my library, be it good, mediocre, or bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom