• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

self save or auto save

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
title says it all really, or theres the mixed save method where it auto saves but you can save as well...

I like a game that does both.

I am a serial saver. Even if i load up a game and do nothing i'll still save before i turn it off.

Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey both auto save and let you save manually. Even when i see them auto save second before i want to turn off the game i'll still save myself before quitting out.

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
Depends on who makes it. Usually, I prefer both; each can be useful in different ways.

However, for Bethesda games? No autosave. Ever.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
whynotboth.jpg

It depends on the game. I insist on having autosaves in any case. Some people are anal about auto saves. I never understood this. If you don't want to rely on autosaves then just do what you'd otherwise do and spam the quicksave key. Autosaves are there as a convenient backup in case you need it. Some games are dumb about when they autosave but even then it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I particularly like games that are designed such that they only ever autosave without the need for manual saves. Arkham Asylum/City and the Tomb Raider 2013 reboot are good examples. Sometimes it's just nice to not have to deal with saving at all. It's a pain.

Reactions: Dio

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Depends on the game. I've had games where autosaving grinds things to a halt, but in general I like having autosaves but I always end up saving manually anyway.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I agree with the argument that both is better.

It is very easy to forget to save, but it is also nice to be able to save just before you turn off the game. So both seems like a no-brainer to me.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I prefer a game that gives both options as there are times where i've had to drop the game immediately without saving so it's nice to know i've got something to come back to, but outside a few games that auto save every other minute the auto save only occurs at big moments so it's nice tobe able to manuallly save as and when i want to.

I save constantly in games. So I prefer both. But if I has to choose between one I'll always choose manual saving where I can save whenever I want.

Both. I like auto save since I tend to forget to save for long periods. For example, I really like how BOTW handles it's saves.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Games without an autosave function are way too stress-inducing. The idea of dying and going back hours or the power going out and losing everything I did in a day is my personal hell.

The "why not both" meme is the best answer.
Just have a single save slot set for the auto save and all the rest of the save slots for manual saving. That's the best way so you have your manual saves but have the auto backup if you need it. Lots of 90's games did it this way and it worked really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom