• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

self save or auto save

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
The "why not both" meme is the best answer.
Just have a single save slot set for the auto save and all the rest of the save slots for manual saving. That's the best way so you have your manual saves but have the auto backup if you need it. Lots of 90's games did it this way and it worked really well.

The best argument against both, and autosaves in general, is Bethesda's constant problem with glitchy autosaves.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I like an autosave feature that's predictable and/or exploitable
I really hate botw never auto saving when I need it to, and I hate dark souls constantly saving my position when I'm trying to navigate from out of bounds back in bounds or trying to quit out to avoid fall damage

The best argument against both, and autosaves in general, is Bethesda's constant problem with glitchy autosaves.
That's Bethesda being not good at doing it. I don't know why they can't get it right, when hundreds of games in the 90's got it right from all different developers. One of my favourite games of all time, Master of Orion 2 (a 1996 game) has both options exactly as I described and it worked just fine.

I like having both. Autosave definitely comes in handy if there are power interruptions or game freezes/crashes.

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
That's Bethesda being not good at doing it. I don't know why they can't get it right, when hundreds of games in the 90's got it right from all different developers. One of my favourite games of all time, Master of Orion 2 (a 1996 game) has both options exactly as I described and it worked just fine.

Bethesda is far from the only company that has issues with it, they're just the most notorious. I've noticed the more heavily reliant upon scripting a game is, the more likely autosave is going to cause problems. And Bethesda games are the kings of scripting.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
In an openworld setting, the most convenient thing to do is have landmarks that serve as checkpoints so that if you die, relatively little progress is lost when spawning back.

In a linear setting, the most convenient way of going about this is to have save stations right before critical points as a marker to remind the player to save often.

Two of my favorite series implement these in addition to manual saves, and they work out really well, so I don't think it's a stretch to have "the best of both worlds". Auto-saves are useful in their own ways, but they can be finicky in an openworld design and sometimes it can take ages for them to trigger (unless there's a manual timer like in Skyrim). Having the game save after a cutscene or other transition is also a nice way to keep the slot updated for you, but that depends on the overall design (I'm thinking of action games here).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom