• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Self Motivation

Hey guys,
I need some help. I'm 15 years old and in the middle of my Exams. This means a lot of revising, however i suck at that. Every time i start to revise i just get distracted with the latest game i'm playing, or what was on tv last night. My parents dont punish me if im bad and don't reward me if i'm good. I can't self punish to say my life! I want to do well in my exams but i'm struggling...help?

bkelly458

Just Some Dude
Just gotta put away the games into the exams are over, man. Put them in a place you can't get them very easy and force yourself to do what you need to do. Then, after the exams are done, schedule uninterrupted game time! :)

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I have this problem sometimes but it's something that you gotta control. Self control is key. Set a goal and reward yourself for accomplishing it. If you have a ton of studying to do (ie. 3 hours) set a goal to study 1 hour straight and take a 10-15 min. break with a game or something. Make sure to set some kind of timer so that you know when to stop cause you may not stop which means that you won't have studied enough. Once your done completely the world becomes your oyster!

Also when you study don't just re-read something. I've fallen into that trap before and it doesn't help. It simply means that you're lazy. Find some problems/questions on the interwebs that can help you. Plenty of sites will do this for math and science. If it's reading test your vocab and knowledge of literary elements or read a really good book. This seriously will help.

Hope you get this soon enough;)

I have the exact same problem. The way I deal with it is simply getting away from my distractions. I go to the library on campus, a coffee shop downtown, anywhere where there aren't any of my games or movies. When writing papers that don't require the internet, I get away from that too, studying in parks or little cafes. When there's nothing around you to distract you, it's easier to get down to business.

Or, when I can't leave home:

If you have a ton of studying to do (ie. 3 hours) set a goal to study 1 hour straight and take a 10-15 min. break with a game or something. Make sure to set some kind of timer so that you know when to stop cause you may not stop which means that you won't have studied enough. Once your done completely the world becomes your oyster!

^Do this! Set a time when you absolutely MUST start working, along with a time where you absolutely MUST take a break. It's much easier to stay on track where, whenever you start wanting to distract yourself, you can look at your timer and think, "Okay, only X more minutes until I can check that thing." I find I'm actually much more productive when I do this as well, because I find myself wanting to get to a good stopping point. I'll often actually work over my time limit, if only because I don't want to leave a task unfinished.

You can do it!! Keep on track! And for the love of pete, get off Zelda Dungeon! ;)

Study out of your house, somewhere with no games/electronics, nothing! Make sure the place is quiet.
Also, make goals for yourself, and punishments (nothing harsh) for failing your goals (like, no gaming for a week or no spending money for a week).

Hey guys,
I need some help. I'm 15 years old and in the middle of my Exams. This means a lot of revising, however i suck at that. Every time i start to revise i just get distracted with the latest game i'm playing, or what was on tv last night. My parents dont punish me if im bad and don't reward me if i'm good. I can't self punish to say my life! I want to do well in my exams but i'm struggling...help?
Dang. that is quite an interesting situation you are in. It is good that you are at least trying to help yourself. My adivce is to go in a seperate room than the one your games are in. Bring your books and just belt it out the best you can. You would be surprised what can be accomplished in one solid hour of focusing. I know it isn't easy though, I go through the same thing. Also, what is wrong with your parents. Tell them to get off their asses and do some parenting.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Just put the games away man and start studying. School is very important and games come second. Think of playing games as a reward. When you do good on your exams treat yourself to playing a game for a couple of hours. There's nothing anyone here can say that will help you. You have to help yourself and have control over that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom