• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sega Dreamcast Classics

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
My favorite memories as a child when it came to gaming was playing on my Dreamcast that I got at the young age of 5. It was an excellent system with mind-blowing graphics and high-quality games. As I've gotten older and I look back at these games, I realize that they were truly amazing for their time period. A few games (as obscure as some of them are now) that I have fond memories of playing and still enjoy today are titles such as Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Dead or Alive 2, Evolution: The World of Sacred Device, Evolution 2: Far Off Promise, Crazy Taxi, and the sadly forgotten Sonic Shuffle.

For those of you who grew up loving the Dreamcast like me, post the things you enjoyed about it as well as the things you disliked about it here!

Hanyou

didn't build that
One of the things I love about the Dreamcast is the sheer youthful exuberance of it all. Most major games, even the less-than-perfect ones, feel fresh. There was this great atmosphere of creativity to Sega in its best years that set them apart from all other game companies, and the Dreamcast may be the system that burned brightest. I bought it about a year before the release of the PS2, and I had a sinking feeling as I walked out of Circuit City clutching my two boxes--a Dreamcast and Sonic Adventure--that the system was dying. I didn't care. I'm glad I didn't, because it was the last time I got to experience the pure joy and excitement of gaming on that scale.

Skies of Arcadia is by far my favorite Dreamcast game. It's also my all-time favorite RPG.

Shenmue and Sonic Adventure are good runners-up.

Shenmue is not really much of a game; most of the "gameplay" consists of doing mundane tasks, talking to poorly voice-acted NPCs, etc. But few games have felt so real to me, and for that reason, both Shenmue and its sequel are like nothing else out there.

Sonic Adventure is not widely appreciated. People love its sequel, but I actually like the first game more for its upbeat aesthetic and focus on fun gameplay (Sonic Adventure 2 spent too much time on gameplay styles that just weren't all that fun, while Sonic Adventure spends more time, relatively speaking, on speed-based levels and even the non speed-based levels are okay, excepting Big the Cat). The game is much less polished than it should be, but it brings as much of a smile to my face as very polished games like Mario Galaxy, so I can't find fault with it.

I also love Jet Grind Radio and Crazy Taxi.

It's difficult to overstate how important the Tony Hawk series is to me. I followed it from the first game through Underground 2 and loved most of my time with it. While I first played the original Tony Hawk on the N64, I bought it on the Dreamcast and put some serious hours into that version. It may be surprising, but I didn't even know what punk rock was before I first played Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. Hearing Goldfinger, New Girl, the less-censored version of Police Truck blew the 13-year-old version of me away. I became addicted to that kind of music. So mostly due to THPS, as far as I'm concerned, the Dreamcast ushered me out of innocent adolescence and into properly apathetic teenage years.

Basically, the Dreamcast was my go-to platform for everything after the N64, and even the non-exclusives feel like part of its ecosystem. Gaming has not been the same for me since this system's death.

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
I loved my dreamcast. Jet set radio and sonic adventure are the only two titles I remember but I had a bunch of games for it. It died pretty quickly when my 2 year old brother filled it with toothpaste.

Dan

Jet set radioooooooooooooooooooooooo! I didn't actually grow up with a Dreamcast but upon buying one a few years ago I fell in love with this game. Love the music and the character designs. One of the earliest games to use cel-shaded graphics and because of its simple look it still looks great to this day. I found the concept so silly though, they literally get in army tanks to stop a couple of kids spraypainting the town. ;p I also loved the over the top police officer they literally shouted he's going to fill the kids full of lead. I liked how all the narration was handled by the radio DJ too, I always looked forward to hearing his commentary on the deeds that took place.

Salem

SICK
Sonic Adventure 1&2, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi 1&2, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, and so much more.:)

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Jet set radioooooooooooooooooooooooo! I didn't actually grow up with a Dreamcast but upon buying one a few years ago I fell in love with this game. Love the music and the character designs. One of the earliest games to use cel-shaded graphics and because of its simple look it still looks great to this day. I found the concept so silly though, they literally get in army tanks to stop a couple of kids spraypainting the town. ;p I also loved the over the top police officer they literally shouted he's going to fill the kids full of lead. I liked how all the narration was handled by the radio DJ too, I always looked forward to hearing his commentary on the deeds that took place.

The music in that game was so catchy as well. :D I still get some of the songs from that game stuck in my head.

Mido

Version 1
The Dreamcast was my first owned system; and while I unfortunately broke all of my games years ago, my dreamcast is in great condition today! (Albeit with a malfunctioned av cord!)

Looking back, in addition to what many of you already said, I would like to add Fur Fighters and Power Stone. Fur Fighters is a solid adventure/3rd person shooter with a lot to offer; and Power Stone was an awesome fighting game! I never owned the latter, unfortunately, as I only played it on one of Sega's demo disks! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom