• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Seasons?

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Twilight Princess had changing seasons in the fishing hole - the wiki has screenshots of it. It was used to make fish rarer to catch, particularly the Hylian Loach. I'm having trouble figuring out how it could be implemented on a large scale, however.

The thing about Majora's Mask is that nothing was ever permanently changed. Defeating Snowhead Temple did make the winter disappear, but it would return when you played the Song of Time again. Other Zeldas are more linear and it would be harder to work into the storytelling. But the game needs an ability to switch between seasons so that it's not impossible to miss a secret in the game. That is, if there were a heart piece you could only get during winter, once spring came you knew that you could eventually switch it back. To keep this characteristic there would have to be some ability to change seasons back and forth, as well as an in-game explanation of why Link could do that.

The closest I can think of is doing something like that of the WiiWare game, LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias. In that game, an unnatural winter had fallen upon parts of the world, but there were statues in most areas. At a certain point of the game you learned something that let you activate these statues, and it allowed you to change between winter and summer. It did change the puzzles significantly. If I recall correctly, waterfalls normally blocked entrances, but in winter they turned to fragile ice, allowing you to break the ice and go behind the waterfall. You also needed to change some ponds to ice in order to carry things across, and in reverse, you had to unfreeze some to get treasure from the bottom.

I could see Zelda using a game mechanic like that - such as the Song of Seasons - to make the terrain different. And someone mentioned weather up thread; they've done that before, too, with the Song of Storms being used to make it rain. It would be a nice way to add nonlinearity to the game, and if some changes were fairly static - Hyrule field, for example, slowly going from winter to fall - a neat way to show the passage of time on Link's journey.

I personally think they should make two 3D games with the copied gimmicks of the Oracle series. One game based around seasons, and one around warping through a few hundred year time gap. The oracle games did fantastic in the 2D realm, but I think it would shine in the 3D realm. Will they do it? Most likely never, but I think its a good idea.

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
I've actually been thin king about this for a while. Imagine there being a higher platform in the middle of Lake Hylia than the water level, so you can't swim out there and climb on, and there's no bridges or anything. During the winter, the water would freeze and you'd be able to wander your way over there.

Anubis

The most inactive active
How about season fairies? You rescue different fairies from all kinds of temples to restore the season loop. If you beat the forest temple green fairies get released and adds the seasons to the world map, too bad it probarly wont happen. :(

Um, Oracle of Seasons?

There's been season changing features before. I will admit though, that since OoS was a handheld, 2D game, it's worthwhile having another game in the series, this time on a major console, explore this concept. Especially in a game like Skyward Sword with such a striking visual style it would be amazing to have fully realized seasonal effects, especially if they're really exaggerated with SS's artstyle. It would frankly be a visual feast and I'd like that.

However, as far as it happening I actually am pretty much 100% sure it isn't going to. If this was going to be a major component of the game (which it pretty much would have to be), we'd have heard hints about it in the title of the game or developer quotes, or seen it in gameplay by now. But we haven't. Additionally, Skyward Sword has already been confirmed to have dual overworlds: Skyloft and the land below. Since changing seasons would likely function as an expansion to the overworld, it would be overkill and unlikely to occur in a game already confirmed to have more than one overworld.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity

A seasons cycle is much different than what we had with OoS...it's also a much different thing to have seasons in a 2D game than it is in a 3D game...

However, as far as it happening I actually am pretty much 100% sure it isn't going to. If this was going to be a major component of the game (which it pretty much would have to be), we'd have heard hints about it in the title of the game or developer quotes, or seen it in gameplay by now. But we haven't. Additionally, Skyward Sword has already been confirmed to have dual overworlds: Skyloft and the land below. Since changing seasons would likely function as an expansion to the overworld, it would be overkill and unlikely to occur in a game already confirmed to have more than one overworld.

Hmmm...I see what you're saying...and I doubt it too...but, seriously, by this logic there will be no surprises when SS is released--and that is just silly. We hardly know anything about the game. Also, why would it have to be such a major component? OoT had a day/night cycle, and it played a role in the game, but it was hardly one of the central features of the game. Also, OoT had dual overworlds and it introduced the day/night cycle, and it was hardly overkill...

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
The day/night played a big in OoT especially if ur a 100% run kinda person because certain Skulltella could only be found at night and also the stalchildren popping out of the ground when Young Link.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
The day/night played a big in OoT especially if ur a 100% run kinda person because certain Skulltella could only be found at night and also the stalchildren popping out of the ground when Young Link.

You call that "big"?? That seems decidedly minor to me. It played a part, no doubt, but it was by no means one of the central features of the game. Having a seasons cycle would not need to be either.

Also, BTW, I like the idea of having a seasons cycle for certain areas (like the field, forests, etc.) but not for places like deserts or snow areas...

Ganondork

goo
It sounds cool, but Oracle of Seasons already adopted the idea (hence the name). If something like that were to be done, fans of Oos (like myself) might be upset about ripping off that game, like people were with the TP and OoT similarities. I would love to see it happen, but that would also make a need of the Rod of Seasons to take advantage of the seasons, or for a period of time, places would be innacessible.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
This is not a bad idea. It was there in one Zelda game so far, and it could be brought back and be put into use. It might create more depth in the game as well, so I don't really see why they shouldn't add this.

This concept was introduced in Oracle of Seasons obviously and I have to admit I never played it but honestly I love the idea. Maybe not the way some describe it where you have to play at certain times of the year but some sort of item that changes the seasons for you. I agree with the idea that a zelda game shouldn't last over years but maybe this item will somehow change the weather but not what time of the year it is (if you know what I mean...). Anyway this is a great concept if not for sidequests just for the aesthetic value of seeing locations with different weather.

Crono

Hylian Rebel
Seasons would be pretty cool, but I think they should just focus more on weather this time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom