• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ScrewAttack's Top 10 Franchises That Need to Die

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Now that I thinkj about it...I'm surprised I didn't see Pokemon on that list. Y'all complain about CoD never changing, just look at Pokemon. All of the PKMN should've been DLC for Gen 1.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
10. Angry birds: played a couple of levels, got bored and that's that... I was surprised to find out today that it actually has several incarnations - why?
9. Dynasty Warriors: Never played, so no opinion
8. LEGO series: I agree here. I love playing with actual legos, but the couple of times I've tried to play an electronic lego game, all I've ended up thinking was "why?" The reason legos are fun are because you can make *anything* out of these parts. I used to build castles with secret walls, etc. all the time when I was a kid. And the reason the tv-games are fun are because you get to play with the characters you know in surroundings you are familiar with. Combining those two concepts is like taking away the best part of each of them and the combining the rest. You lose the ability to create anything with the legos, and you end up getting distanced from the characters and the plot you love so much...
7. CoD: Not a FPS fan myself, so I can't say I care at all about this
6. DBZ: Neither read nor watched, nor played - so no opinion, here
5. DDR: I played these a little bit some years back, but it was difficult to do without disturbing the people living below me, so I stopped. I agree with them being outdated, especially now that we have Kinnect allowing us to use our whole bodies rather than stomping on arrows on a mat.
4. Kingdom Hearts: Never played, so no opinion about it.
3. Madden: Can't say I've ever been a fan of sports games in general, football least of all.
2. Final Fantasy: I tried playing one of these about a decade ago and I had major issues with the concept of "waiting my turn" during combat, and the whole thing about choosing fight moves from a list... that's just not my thing, so I could never get into the games.
1. Halo: Never played, can't say I want to either...

I watched the video and honestly I don't think any game franchises should just die. Instead they should take a break and come back when they can make something new and interesting. Just killing off a franchise completely is sort of silly to me.

Kuddlesnot

100% Video Creator
I actually agree with most of what was said, minus the "should just die", and agree with Mariley on that point.

I only disagree with Kingdom Hearts. I honestly only played the first game and a bit of the second, but the synthesis is brilliant and bridges the gap for many up and coming gamers, championing disney on their unaware parents. Just awesome.

I actually agree with most of what was said, minus the "should just die", and agree with Mariley on that point.

I only disagree with Kingdom Hearts. I honestly only played the first game and a bit of the second, but the synthesis is brilliant and bridges the gap for many up and coming gamers, championing disney on their unaware parents. Just awesome.

The first and second KH games are awesome. Even Chain of Memories was pretty good. Play 358/2 Days, Birth By Sleep, or Coded and you'll see why the series is on that list.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
10. Angry Birds - I don't understand how these games are so popular. I've tried playing them and I got bored REALLY quick. It's not even fun, it's pointless and you get nowhere with it.

9. Dynasty Warriors - Never played, so I can't judge it, but I know there's alot of them out there, so they must be doing something right for people to want to keep playing them.

8. Lego Series - Again, pointless. Why make a Lego game out of a game that's ALREADY made.

7. Call of Duty - Yeah...um...can someone say BORING and REPEITIVE.

6. Dragon Ball Z - I was excited the first time I played one of these games, but I love the series, but now there's a bit too much and all they keep doing is replaying the same game over and over and adding less and less characters which is annoying.

5. DDR - I love DDR, but you have to be in good shape to keep up.

4. Kingdom Hearts - I fail to see the problem here.

3. EA Sports Games - Don't care for sports games, but I can understand why, because every year there's new players, so I fail to see how this is a problem.

2. Final Fantasy - One of my favorite series, but since the merger with Enix, Final Fantasy hasn't been really that good since Final Fantasy X.

1. Halo - Never played the first one, but the second one was awesome! Wasn't a big fan of the third one, but now there's a fourth one. Hmm... Microsoft must really be struggling to find some profit.

Now that I thinkj about it...I'm surprised I didn't see Pokemon on that list. Y'all complain about CoD never changing, just look at Pokemon. All of the PKMN should've been DLC for Gen 1.

Somehwhat agreed, but Pokemon has changed more than people give it credit for. That, and the fact that a main game comes out every 4 years rather than every year, ensures that Pokemon isn't as stale as CoD. Although, the spin-offs are way too numerous and should die.

Final Fantasy does NOT need to die. It just needs to get good again.

The creator left the series. In my opinion, once the creator has left a series the franchise the series need to die. What's the point of keeping a franchise around when when it will only decline and continue to decline? Granted there are exceptions (Silent Hill came finally came back with Downpour), but I don't think the FF series will be one of them. Try The Last Story, it's the FF creator's new project.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The first and second KH games are awesome. Even Chain of Memories was pretty good. Play 358/2 Days, Birth By Sleep, or Coded and you'll see why the series is on that list.
BBS is a main game though. It's KH0. It's where everything began; Birth by Sleep. I'm pretty sure without BBS nothing in KH3 will make sense. Days, Coded and DDD are useless though, except for Sora and Riku's Mark of Mastery Exam, the results of which are pretty obvious with this: light turns to darkness, darkness turns to light. ^^

The creator left the series. In my opinion, once the creator has left a series the franchise the series need to die. What's the point of keeping a franchise around when when it will only decline and continue to decline? Granted there are exceptions (Silent Hill came finally came back with Downpour), but I don't think the FF series will be one of them. Try The Last Story, it's the FF creator's new project.
Resident Evil will not continue to decline just because the creator left the series. RE4 was a hit and spawned all the good games you see today for the most part. RE5 wasn't too shabby. RE6 is shaping up to be a hit as well.

This rule applies to many other series. Just because the creator left doesn't mean the series has to die. I see no logic in that train of thought, like at all.

BBS is a main game though. It's KH0. It's where everything began; Birth by Sleep. I'm pretty sure without BBS nothing in KH3 will make sense. Days, Coded and DDD are useless though, except for Sora and Riku's Mark of Mastery Exam, the results of which are pretty obvious with this: light turns to darkness, darkness turns to light. ^^

Resident Evil will not continue to decline just because the creator left the series. RE4 was a hit and spawned all the good games you see today for the most part. RE5 wasn't too shabby. RE6 is shaping up to be a hit as well.

This rule applies to many other series. Just because the creator left doesn't mean the series has to die. I see no logic in that train of thought, like at all.

The only thing I liked about KH:BBS was the final cutscenes, the game as a whole I just didn't care for. I'll agree that it did lend to the overall storyline though.

For the record Shinji Maki, the creator of the RE series, was the writer and director for RE4. I do see your point though, but I still think that a series suffers when the creator leaves and MOST of the time the series is better off dead. Usually the creator leaves once they feel the series has reached its peak or has reached their vision. Once a new director or writer comes in I think that a series loses the feel to it that fans have come to love. If that's the case then why even continue? Why not create a new series rather than bring down the name of a great series?

I agree that Call of Duty needs to die or it at least needs a significant revamp. The franchise has been running on the same engine with small tweaks since 2007. This is simply unacceptable especially for high profile developers like Infinity Ward and Treyarch and the overarching producer-Activision. This same franchise fatigue applies to the Dragon Ball Z franchise as mentioned in the video. It never seems to evolve into something more...

A franchise that should not be included on this list, however, is Halo. Bungie struck gold with the franchise back in 2001 and 343 Industries has done a great job maintaining it since last year and Halo 4 aims to improve upon the foundations established by the original. The multiplayer continues to evolve in new and exciting ways and the most fundamental change occurred in 2010's. The story is exciting and invigorating and as am avid Halo fan, I wanted to find out what happened to the master Chief following the end of Halo 3. 343 also aims to shed new light on the mysterious and intriguing Forerunner race as Monitor terminals in Combat Evolved anniversary foreshadowed.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Am I supposed to take this list serious? It was filled with a lot of stupidity...I mean yeah, there were a couple of series I'd agree should die in that list but not for any of the reasons they stated. Those guys didn't even sound like gamers. They sounded like a bunch of tards who have no clue what the hell is going on. Especially when it came to Halo. Really? They say the "fight was finished" and "the trilogy warped itself up"...but then they go on to show footage from Halo 3 which clearly contradicts those statements... Idiots, I swear.

For the record Shinji Maki, the creator of the RE series, was the writer and director for RE4. I do see your point though, but I still think that a series suffers when the creator leaves and MOST of the time the series is better off dead. Usually the creator leaves once they feel the series has reached its peak or has reached their vision. Once a new director or writer comes in I think that a series loses the feel to it that fans have come to love. If that's the case then why even continue? Why not create a new series rather than bring down the name of a great series?

It's a totally different scenario with Resident Evil. Shinji Mikami left after he saved the series. Originally, they were planning on ending the series with RE4, which would of seen Leon end Umbrella once and for all. But that isn't what we got, was it?

Last edited:

Rytex

Resident Netizen
10. I agree. AB needs to end. It's just a cash cow (or, dareisayit, Cash bird) as of this point.
9. I have played it once, and I got bored. All it is is X-Button Mashfest. It didn't deserve sequels.
8. Star Wars was great. Star Wars 2 was great. Batman was great. Indy was okay. Then everything just went downhill...
7. ohmyGOD this series needs to die! All they're doing now is releasing games for the Online Multiplayer! No thought goes into it anymore!
6. DBZ had some great GBA titles. Not so anywhere else. But it's time has come, and it needs to be laid to rest.
5. DDR. Okay, maybe one or two games was alright, but at least 50? And I thought Halo was getting bad.
4. KH needs to finish the Xehanort Saga, and it needs to finish it soon. I finished the jap version of 3D a few days ago. It looks like they've set up KH3, so there is hope yet.
3. Madden doesn't need to end, EA just needs to create competish. Then it'll get much better.
2. Given that FF has had a slew of bad titles lately, it only makes sense to say that Squenix is losing their touch. XII was the best FF since VII, but Vaan was so damned annoying, even Tidus was more awesome than him. In any case, they need to just hurry up and finish it off with a fitting finale, like, say I-2?
1. Halo does not need to just die, it simply needs to end. Reach was an amazing prequel, and they left the opening for a sequel in 3, but please dear GOD let this be the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom