• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Scotland to Secede From the UK Because of Growing Muslim Population?

Azure Sage

Spread Smiles!
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
In the car ride to my campus today, my mother said that a big reason Scotland wants to secede from the UK is because of the growing population of Muslims in England, and that said growing population is responsible for the country's deterioration.

Now, I have no idea where she got that idea from (probably fox news, she watches that channel constantly), and I may not be very knowledgeable about the population of Muslims in England or Scotland's reasons for wanting to secede, but I'm pretty sure what she said is complete prejudicial BS. So, since I don't really know enough about the situation over there to talk about it, what do you guys think about this?

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
From what I've read, the arguments for Scottish independence largely revolve around economics (especially North Sea oil) and greater sovereignty in both domestic and foreign policy. Radical Islam and the growing Muslim population in the UK are political talking points, but they have little to do with this particular vote.

The FoxNews angle: An independent Scotland might be far less supportive of Israel, a cornerstone issue in conservative Middle Eastern foreign policy outlook.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Yeah as far as I can see, it's more for economic reasons. The way I see it, people are blindly being persuaded into voting yes without realising the possible political and economic consequences that it will inevitably cause.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
well if you think about it muslims are often promoting hate and war where they go. So of course Sctoland doesnt want them in their vicinity. Why would you want a cyst on your back with the hope that it will die down when you can simply cut it off and be done with it. Now that doesn't mean that Scotland is reacting rationally, maybe they do have a biased fear of the muslim population. but given recent events, I would probably act the same way as they do and simply leave the UK if I had the choice. Maybe later they will rejoin when their fears are quelled

Ganondork

you touch her butt and she moves away
Curm and justac00lguy hit the nail on the head.

I'd like to add that while there is a growing Muslim population in the UK, we see this trend in most of the West Europe. France and Spain have had a significant Muslim population for quite some time (Spain has 1.4 million Muslims in 2013). Italy also sees many North Africans (Read: Muslims) immigrating to the southern tip every single day.

Islamophobia is rampant in Europe. My particular cone of knowledge is in Northern Italian-Southern Italian relations in this subject, so I can't speak much about the other places. To sum it up quickly - Northern Italy is absolutely prejudiced against Southern Italians. They see them as below Italians of the north, which is sickening for me as both an Italian, and as someone who studies the culture.

France has also had a long history of racism, Islamophobia, and Antisemitism. Their "secular" practices in the school system are thinly veiled bigotry. They refuse to let people wear kipot, burqas, hijabs, niqabs, crosses of certain sizes, etc. With the waves of Muslims in France, it's no surprise that we've seen incidents of clear Islamophobia occur. Hell, just in 2009, 148 Muslim graves were desecrated by hanging a pig's head on a headstone, as well as writing horrible things about Islam on the gravestones.

Unfortunately I don't know much about Spain.

While the incidents I've described are from various countries that don't include the UK, it's important to note that globalization has brought much of the West together culturally. Many of us share the same views on people. One such example is the Antisemitic political parties that are sweeping across Europe, and the ones that are trying to gain prominence in America.

The UK has a notable Muslim population - 2.6 million. Do incidents of Islamophobia happen in the UK? Yes. But the same can be said about the US, and pretty much any other country with a significant Muslim minority.

Does this mean that Scotland is trying to secede simply because of the Muslim population? No. In fact, I find a lot more incidents of Islamophobia in the UK happen in England, and very few in Scotland. The people there seem to not have an issue with their Muslim minority (which appears to be only 74 thousand), and it could be pointed more towards economic interests.

I certainly think that your mother is misinformed on the matter. There is no reason to secede because of a growing Muslim population. The few that want to spread Sharia Law do not represent the Muslim community as a whole, and that's an important distinction that needs to be made.

Last edited:

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Scotland wanting independence has absolutely nothing to do with Muslims. It has to do with a government in another country enforcing things on them when they neither voted for them nor feel they have any say in it themselves. Believe me, if the idea of this having to do with a growing Muslim population has even been mentioned in the UK it was more than likely by some fringe xenophobe group pushing the yes vote. Scotland is by and large a very tolerant country and I think it's extremely unfair to pin a modern non-issue as the reason this referendum even happened and ignore the 800 years of history that preceded this. The Scottish are very patriotic and that's what it comes down to, but their main enemy is considered to be us, the English and our so called tyranny, NOT Muslims.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom