• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Schwarma (is that how you spell it lol?)

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Recently I are Schwarma for the first time (I couldn't stop thinkkng about iron man in Avengers :P) at first I thought it was some weird vegetarian thing (not that vegetarians are exceptionally weird) but I soon realized that ITS LITERALLY A GREEK TACO! I was encapsualized in a world of Mediterranean, Pseudo-Taco-Flavor. Also lamb is always a good thing. Suffice to say, it was good. What are your thoughts on schwarma?

Shawarma is not a taco, nor is it Greek ... at least not explicitly. It's really more of a Lebanese thing, and it's just marinated chicken, where TONS of chicken breasts are marinated, placed on a spit very tightly, and roasted. You cut pieces off by slicing down so you cut "strips" off each breast. It's very good. They also do this with lamb meat, and it's called "Gyro" meat (pronounced "Year-Ro"). It's also VERY good.

The "taco" you had is called a Gyro because it was originally made with Pita bread as the shell, gyro meat, feta cheese, onion, tomato, lettuce and a greek/lebanese yogurt sauce. Gyros are VERY good, and of course they are now made with chicken shawarma as well.

My father's side of the family is lebanese, so I grew up with lebanese cooking. Most of it is VERY good. To this day, we still have a lot of lebanese dishes during Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter ... as well as other times. Mediterranean food is very good across the board if you ask me.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I think we call it shoarma over here in my country. If that is what you mean of course. It's delicious and a very common snack over here. I haven't eaten it for a couple of years now but it is delicious

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Shawarma is not a taco, nor is it Greek ... at least not explicitly. It's really more of a Lebanese thing, and it's just marinated chicken, where TONS of chicken breasts are marinated, placed on a spit very tightly, and roasted. You cut pieces off by slicing down so you cut "strips" off each breast. It's very good. They also do this with lamb meat, and it's called "Gyro" meat (pronounced "Year-Ro"). It's also VERY good.

The "taco" you had is called a Gyro because it was originally made with Pita bread as the shell, gyro meat, feta cheese, onion, tomato, lettuce and a greek/lebanese yogurt sauce. Gyros are VERY good, and of course they are now made with chicken shawarma as well.

My father's side of the family is lebanese, so I grew up with lebanese cooking. Most of it is VERY good. To this day, we still have a lot of lebanese dishes during Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter ... as well as other times. Mediterranean food is very good across the board if you ask me.

Aha I see thank you for this in-depth clarification. It seems that you are the true taco/gyro/Schwarmawhatnow master!

Shawarma is made from marinated meat usually goat, lamb, or beef which is roasted for several hours. It is sliced very thinly and then stuffed into pita bread. It can be served with fries, salads like tabouleh, falafel, etc.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Shawarma (I knew it as dohner kebab in Germany) is awesome. If you buy it from the right place, it's some of the best fast-ish food you can find. My favorite shawarma place was right across from a McDonalds in Germany, and anyone who went to McDonalds instead was insane.

I live in Ottawa, which is called the shawarma capital of Canada. There's literally a shawarma place every block downtown. I get it probably at least once a week, or more.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
its tasty

the place i got it from burned down but i think they're reopening eventually

Hylian Viking

A modern day Hyrule warrior mean mean stride.
I really like shawarma, I remember first having it at a relative's wedding reception and I liked it ever since. There's a place I sometimes frequent that is close to the airport, that makes this insanely good shawarma it is grilled over charcoal rather than a gas or electric grill so you get a slightly smoky flavor with a nice bit of charring, best of all he serves it over an insane rice pilaf, with toasted pita and salad with a garlicky tahini vinaigrette. I know the chef who prepares it and owns the restaurant is from Egypt originally and let me say this his cooking transports me from the Carolinas to Cairo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom