• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

School: The Happiest Years of Your Life?

Are you happier now than when you were in school?

• Yes

• No

• Still in school

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm sure you've heard this phrase or a similar one before.

Personally, I've never met anyone agrees with this statement.

I understand how the short days, evenings off & guaranteed weekends off, as well as Summer, Christmas & all the other holidays sound appealing in comparison to the average working week of an adult.

But were they really the "happiest years of your life"?

Not taking into account current events going off in the world, but as a whole, are you happier now than when you were in school?

(Not including university/college)

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Actually middle school (ages 13-16) were among the happier year of my life. It was before all hell broke loose for me, and I was able to live in my prepubescent innocent little bubble playing Zelda games. For many people it's the other way around, it's the years of raging hormones and insecurity and whatnot.

Then I entered the worst of the worst in terms of depression and misery by the time I turned 17. My whole high school period is one big black hole in my memory now.

School, no. They were the worst years of my life.

I had a terrible home life and a terrible time at school. Abused at home, bullied at school. Didn't learn anything of worth other than not to trust or confide in people.

(Uni was a bit better but it ended up being a massive waste of time)

I'm happier now (as happy as one can be suffering from PTSD and depression because of those aforementioned years)

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Hahahahahahahaha

Hahahahaha

This question lmao

Short answer: oof

I mean I had some good times in school, especially playing Brawl and Guitar Hero with my friends, but in general definitely not. I would say my happiest period came later, in uni, and before that when I was just a wee lad. Everything from like 4th grade to 11th grade or so sucked.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
No. I had some bloody awful times in high school and also some great times with friends that I'll treasure forever and miss dearly. It was sort of a mixed bag. But I was also not the same person now as I was back then, and I consider myself to be a far better person now than I was in those days. (if i say so myself.) My happiest days are probably in the past year or two when I started working as a teacher. The combination of students I adore and great friends have made my adult life wonderful so far. The only thing that'd make this better is if I could move out and get away from the family that continues to disappoint and anger me.

EDIT: just realized I thought this asked if I was happier IN school, not now that I’m out of school. Lol. I should’ve voted yes.

Last edited:

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I wanted to vote yes on the poll but was confused...
Yes I'm happier not being in school. I could get a job and make actual money, and unlike school a job won't usually give you homework so I'm free to focus on my hobbies.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Eh, I didn't hate school.

But certainly, I'm much more happy these days than I was at school because of the freedom I have, and being on my own. I love being independent.

I've found that it's much more fun when you're in your own place, and you get to decide the rules.

For example:

If I want to spoil my dinner by eating cake, I will. I will also text or call my mom to gloat about how I spoiled my dinner, and maybe I might have a cookie for dessert.

She's powerless to stop me! Muahahahahaha!

Now, my fiancee might have a word to say about that, but, I do what I want!

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
Definitely weird to see the thread topic ask one thing and then the poll question basically ask the opposite, lol.

Anyways, the answer is that I'm happier now than I was in school (or university, for that matter). That's not to say that I don't miss some aspects of school, or some people from school, but in general I am happier now with my life and who I am than I was back then, and I have full confidence that my happiest days are still ahead of me.

I will say that in general that school shouldn't be the happiest years of your life. Like, when you think of it, you have so many years left of living once you finish school, a lot more freedom, a lot more things you can do and a lot more control over your life. It'd be sad to just live the rest of your life going "wow everything sucks sure wish I was 12 and in school again".

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
10th grade was probably the main time in my life where I can say I was happy/content, both in and out of school

literally the summer following, things began to fall apart, so the rest of high school were just kinda ok, but before 10th grade? eh, it wasn't so hot, it goes back and forth from 'eh, it's not so bad' to 'wow this is miserable'

Hell no.

School was really traumatic for me, and my home life was even worse. I was bullied by so many kids, and even one of the teachers.
I made a friend, but his mom thought I was a bad influence for some reason (she thought I'd turn him gay somehow?), so made him cut off contact.

The teachers never did anything to sort out the bullies that constantly tormented me, and my grades rapidly fell from being top of class.
I'd constantly have panic attacks and forget which classes I was supposed to go to, and if there was a last moment class change, i'd end up completely freaking out and shut down, so my mom would have to pick me up.

...And then I'd be around my stepdad and 'get in his way', so he'd punish me for that, but i'm not gonna go into details because I'll probably end up having a panic attack if i think too much about it :/

I also had really bad allergies during that time, so every single day it was like I had a cold, and I never had any meds for that.

All of this was during the hell of puberty, so everything felt so, so much worse.
I ended up dropping out, and it got worse for a while.

That's most of what I remember, I did block out some things (my mom says I got stabbed with a pencil the one time, but I have no recollection of it), and it's probably better that way.

Overall, I'd say I'm much, much happier now that those things have passed.

Sure, I'm still an anxious wreck of a human, but I don't have to fear for my life at all. I have medication for some of the mental issues stemming from my childhood, and I have friends now that won't abandon me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom