• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Saving

do you like the idea of bird statues?

• I really like this idea! good job, nintendo!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Either works for me!

• can we go back to button saving? Please?

• Total voters
Continuing this train of thought, isn't it almost undeniable that a traditional save system is superior if it brings you back to the exact place that you were at when you were saving. Why isn't that possible and why hasn't a Zelda game done that? Clearly having to backtrack to where you were in OOT, WW, and TP wasn't ideal, and clearly being restricted to where you can save in SS isn't ideal (didn't say MM because you could save while resetting time so technically you could save whenever- most of the time it wasn't convenient to do so though). Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds?

Hmm, I agree, but neither way is much of an inconvenience to me. I'm leaning toward your opinion, though.

Zarom

The King
I liked the idea actually. Instead of starting back at the entrance of the area when you restart the game, you reappear at the statue you saved too. In OOT for example, everytime you restart the game, you go all the way back to the dungeon's entrance, or Link's house in Kokiri Forest or in the Temple of Time, depending on whether you play as Young or Adult Link. The save system in SS felt more realistic, like it was in MM.

I only cared when I was in a dungeon and my father or mother tried to kick me off the Wii. I would get in trouble for not saving and turning it off, when in reality I was trying to get back to a bird statue. I have lost some data this way as well as my parents unplugged the Wii a few times when I didn't get back to one fast enough.

I'm not a fan of only being able to save at the statues. I prefer to have the freedom to save where ever I want. Only being able to save at the statues feels like a downgrade.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Yeah, but at least with the traditional system you could save anytime you wanted without scurrying in search for a statue. The optional feature worked better for me in that aspect, but I've gotten used to the Save Statues as well. They are hardly an inconvenience when wanting to save because of how well-positioned they are while they aren't all cluttered together. It's still smooth, and it still feels like Zelda.
JuicieJ said:
Of course, there was a way around it by actually saving before or during a fight...

I somewhat covered that point with that statement.

Just wanted to share something. The game may have some version of auto-save, in someway, it does not save your progress but I can remember something happening at least twice. When I completed the song of the hero I wanted to hear it twice just to make sure that I heard part of the zelda main theme. I saved before that so I just use the reset option game (wii home - menu)

When I was watching it again I noticed that there was the Skip (2) option, but i did not saved after that or anything, even he wii home option warns you that your progress is not going to be saved, but it seems like the game has some kind of auto-save

zellinkda

one of many
I only cared when I was in a dungeon and my father or mother tried to kick me off the Wii. I would get in trouble for not saving and turning it off, when in reality I was trying to get back to a bird statue. I have lost some data this way as well as my parents unplugged the Wii a few times when I didn't get back to one fast enough.
my point exactly. let's be real. sometimes, i don't feel like getting to a statue, or sometimes, other people are kicking me off. at that point, i have no intention of finding a stupid bird statue. and with so many bird statues, we might as well go back to button saving.

On the subject of bird statues, yes, while they're annoying, they're nowhere near as bad as the owl statues of Majora's Mask were. At least with the bird statues in Skyward Sword, it's a permanent save, where as the owl statues were just temporary and went away the moment you restarted that file.

Link 2 the past

Slashy Slashy
I know a lot of people will hate this system because it's so similar to the horrendous saving in MM. But it really doesn't have the same problems as the game, you are permanently saving for one thing, they are much more common than in MM and you get them inside dungeons. Also unlike a lot of games, if you save at a statue in a dungeon, you will be at that statue when you come back to the game rather than at the entrance to the dungeon.

I had no problems with the Bird Statues at all. I loved the extra difficulty and additional layer of planning added to the game by forcing you to find a save point. It actually made dungeons easier by giving you a reloadable check point instead of making you start at the beginning of the dungeon when you die.

Way I see it, problems with the save statues don't make a lot of sense. How many games have limited save points? Quite a few, really. You can argue that it's a step back all you want, but it's not there just for a limitation. Every game since the dawn of time that did this didn't have to; saving anywhere was a common feature. Having specific save points is a kind of design choice, and statements like "it's more primitive and feels like a step back" frankly have no place in a discussion about them. Ultimately what's going on is you don't like the design choice, or feel it goes badly in that game in particular, which is fine but has nothing to do with it being a less advanced form of saving.

The fact is that the Bird Statues enhanced multiple elements of Skyward Sword. They are:

• Difficulty; Having limited save points puts you in more danger.
  • Planning and preparation; you will think twice about advancing without the right equipment since you can't just save and/or leave the area any time.
  • Game structure; the sky is peaceful and free, and the surface is dangerous and confined. You can't just leave such a dangerous place freely.

These three are core elements of the game's design and they're a large part of what makes Skyward Sword what it is. The Bird Statues were a pretty necessary part of this, and I for one didn't mind using a (very) familiar gameplay convention in order to save for the sake of having these improvements.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I actually prefer the bird statue saving system over the button saving. While you may have to go slightly out of the way to get to a bird statue, I like it that you continue from that exact spot when you reload your save. Granted, "savewarping" with the button saving is useful sometimes, but it's far more annoying to go back to where you where, especially in a dungeon where you warp to the beginning.

I had no problems with the Bird Statues at all. I loved the extra difficulty and additional layer of planning added to the game by forcing you to find a save point. It actually made dungeons easier by giving you a reloadable check point instead of making you start at the beginning of the dungeon when you die.

Way I see it, problems with the save statues don't make a lot of sense. How many games have limited save points? Quite a few, really. You can argue that it's a step back all you want, but it's not there just for a limitation. Every game since the dawn of time that did this didn't have to; saving anywhere was a common feature. Having specific save points is a kind of design choice, and statements like "it's more primitive and feels like a step back" frankly have no place in a discussion about them. Ultimately what's going on is you don't like the design choice, or feel it goes badly in that game in particular, which is fine but has nothing to do with it being a less advanced form of saving.

The fact is that the Bird Statues enhanced multiple elements of Skyward Sword. They are:

• Difficulty; Having limited save points puts you in more danger.
  • Planning and preparation; you will think twice about advancing without the right equipment since you can't just save and/or leave the area any time.
  • Game structure; the sky is peaceful and free, and the surface is dangerous and confined. You can't just leave such a dangerous place freely.

These three are core elements of the game's design and they're a large part of what makes Skyward Sword what it is. The Bird Statues were a pretty necessary part of this, and I for one didn't mind using a (very) familiar gameplay convention in order to save for the sake of having these improvements.

That's pretty much how I feel, too. I think it does a great job of adding to the difficulty of the game- something I know quite a number of people have been complaining about in the series for quite some time. Like you said, it draws a nice juxtaposition between the surface and the sky while playing, and forces the player to be more cautious of their surroundings. I know when I was going through the Skyview Temple the first time, I had a tough time and was a bit unprepared. (It helps if you bother to bring a health potion or two with you while traveling on your first time.)

fused_shadows

Brave Knight of Truth
I need button saving! I love the save system of PH/ST. So simple and effective. Click "Pause". Click "Save & Quit". And your done! I remember a bunch of times in SS where I wanted to quit and it took me five minutes to find a stupid bird statue. I absolutely hate saving systems like these. Button Saving is so much more convenient and such. I hated the saving system of SS before it came out, and I hate it now, that I have beaten it twice.

I like it and i dont like it.

Why do I like it?
Its a diferent way to save a game and not always the same tipe of saving.

Why do I dont like it?

A lot of times my mother does planes and dont warn me soo i nead to switch off the wii and not always i am near by a Bird Statue so i cannot save.

But why dont i leave the Wii on?
Because my mother hates when i do that because she says that i'm wasting energy so i have no choice to start since the point i saved the last time.

I think that the bird statues should only be to go back to the sky or problably to teletransport of someting like that

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom