• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Satisfied with Pokemon X and Y Graphics?

Dan

I'm not really that much into the Pokemon scene, I still check out the games and was quite shocked to hear they were finally going to make a main series 3D Pokemon game. I then took a look at some screenshots, and I got to say, I'm a bit disappointed. The 3DS is capable of so much more than this...

Let's look at OOT on 3DS
the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d-new-screnshots_1285782215.jpg

Now pokemon X and Y
Pokemon-X-and-Y-Hero.jpg

I don't understand, unless they were purposely making it look like that so it looks similar to the older games... But really I think people would prefer a more graphically pleasing world like that of OOT, than the sharp edged, flat world that pokemon x and y is...

I don't really care to be honest, graphics doesn't effect my enjoyment when playing games. I'm a little miffed about the artstyle though, it reminds me of chibi and I hate chibi. Take into account though that this isn't THE final outcome, it's likely to be altered before it's release in October.

Beeker

Wild Card
I like the style that they chose for X & Y. In battle, I think they look great. But in the overworld not so much. I feel like they could be cleaned up quite a bit while still maintaining that sprited look and feel.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I hate the graphics and of course in one of the opening threads I got hate for hating on said graphics. I know the 3DS is capable of way more than this - not talking about art style but graphical capabilities. There is no reason why it's using DS-esque graphics - none at all. If it's gonna use DS-era graphics, why not dual release on DS/3DS? :I

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I do agree that OOT3D is more detailed, but that's a Zelda game. Pokemon doesn't really have what you'd call "realistic" games (Zelda doesn't either, but it's better than Pokemon). It wouldn't be like Pokemon at all if the game was too real looking. I honestly think both games look great. I'm excited for Pokemon X&Y almost as much as I'm excited for ALttP2

Dan

I do agree that OOT3D is more detailed, but that's a Zelda game. Pokemon doesn't really have what you'd call "realistic" games (Zelda doesn't either, but it's better than Pokemon). It wouldn't be like Pokemon at all if the game was too real looking. I honestly think both games look great. I'm excited for Pokemon X&Y almost as much as I'm excited for ALttP2

Maybe you're right but it's a shame it doesn't incorporate a more detailed and imaginative world, would it hurt the series to do so, I doubt it, would it benefit the series, I'd say pretty much yes.
Like Ventus said at times the game does look like something a DS could pull off. I don't mind games that go for a "retro" look, but how many games go for a look from the N64 generation, I can think of very few, I'd rather it look smooth. I've seen a couple of screenshots of the forest and they look rather neat however. I hope Term is right but to be fair they would have to do a LOT of revamping to change the look, and at this point in time overhauls like that are often done a lot earlier in development time.

it better have a massive change or else Nintendo is dropping the ball big time. Graphics aren't everything, but there is no excuse for how poor it looks. The 3DS is capable of so much more. No excuses, Nintendo needs to step it up. Good story/gameplay or not, it just looks bad.

Well I must say I find the graphics a little unsettling. My mind concocted quite a different picture of a 3D pokemon game on the 3DS. I would like to point out that while the overworld graphics aren't great, I'm quite satisfied with the battle screen graphics. To keep it short I'm certainly not satisfied at what has been presented so far.

I have never seen a comparison before, never thought they were bad until now. Well, its slightly disappointing to be honest, that they have the capability to do so much and are doing this. I would think that if they were going 3D they should go all the way.

All I can say it that I hope Terminus is right, that it will be cleaned up before release.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I really can't say much, to be honest. Especially with beyond crappy YouTube video quality, it'd be slightly unfair to quickly judge this game's graphics. From what I can make of it, it doesn't look terribly bad, but I've seen better. I highly recommend not comparing OoT's graphics to that of X & Y's. I believe it's unfair considering:

a.) X & Y have yet to be released.

and

b.) X & Y and OoT are completely, completely separate games with their own designated graphical style and animations.

C

Calamebe

You people do realize that they have to put over 700 pokemon in the game. Because of that i am happy with the graphics but they could do better. In oot they dont have as many models to put into the game.

Keeseman

Smash is Life
The battle scenes look fine right now. And I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Nintendo is probably focusing heavily on said battle scenes before they get to the overworld. Weren't the battle animations what impressed us most with these upcoming games? It was for me, at least.

Besides, look at aLttP2:

I'm honestly not a huge fan of those graphics at this point. But I know that, as Nintendo works on it more, the graphics will go further.

And besides, I think the current Pokemon overworld graphics are still a huge step up from the previous generation, even as it's still in development. But they'll get better, I'm sure of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom