• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sarcasm/Irony

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Sometimes, people tend to use the concept of sarcasm and/or irony - ether in a humorous context, or in general. Do you find it funny when people do it? And do you tend to do it yourself?

There's definitely a time and place for sarcasm and irony and they can be really funny and clever if they're pulled off well in context.

Where I live people use sarcasm and irony in negative ways, often to be passive aggressive towards each other.

I've been known to be sarcastic when the mood is light, but it isn't a big part of my humour.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
I kinda have a bit of a hard time identifying sarcasm/irony tbh.
How the heck am I supposed to know what kind of connections they're making in their head when they say something contradictory or absurd?

If used as a humorous tool I feel like it can be pretty funny, yea.
On the other hand I feel like a lot of people use it more to be passive-aggressive, sassy, or edgy and that's just kinda annoying.

And I think I do use it somewhat oftenish, yea.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
I’m often sarcastic, but I never try to be in a negative way. I use it less on the internet because of the risk of someone misunderstanding. Generally, I feel both sarcasm and irony can and often are funny, but should be used liberally. Irony in stories can be very interesting, too.

I only really use sarcasm as a way to poke fun at things. Passive aggressive sarcasm can be really toxic, I used to be a part of some groups that used sarcasm like that & it's just a never ending cycle of negativity/*****iness.

I think it's a very basic, easily utilized tool for comedy that can be used bring humour to a situation, but tends to get overused/overplayed.

Sokka from Avatar comes to mind when I think of sarcasm done well.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
i think people's relationship with irony is probably pretty ironic

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
I don't feel like there's an easy answer for this. Sarcasm and irony can both be good and bad depending on context.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
I do enjoy sarcasm, and tend to use it quite a bit myself. Though obviously there are times where you gotta read the room and hold back on it if it isn't the right time for it.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I tend to use sarcasm quite a bit and can appreciate it where it is used for humour. There is a time and a place through so it is always awkward when someone tries to go with sarcasm in the wrong place or where it isn't understood properly by the other party.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
We call the passive aggressive and toxic sarcasm as "sadcasm" here and I don't use it at all. Because at times sadcasm could even end friendship.
Other than that I'm a bit of sarcastic myself.

Also, I thought irony was a poetic device lol :crylaugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom