• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Saddest Zelda Song

OotLord1003

Young Link
Okay, I have seen threads like "Best Zelda Music"
But what about the saddest, I am in a sad mood right now so I will have to say..."The Final Hour" in Zelda Majoras Mask

Vynn Sarr

Sith Lord
The Song of Healing is definitely one of the most sad songs in all of Zelda. It has a very sad feel to it, and every time you used it in game someone was dead or dying. The way the song is used and the way it feels makes it a very sad song.
EDIT: The piano used in the scenes durring which the song was plyed still gives me the chills when I hear it. Also now that I think about it most of the songs in MM were really sad, or creepy.

Vynn Sarr

Sith Lord
In fact I feel so strongly abut this song, here is a video from a great musician who plays lots of Zelda songs, enjoy!:)

Last edited by a moderator:

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Hm. For me it comes down to a few: The Serenade of Water, The Song of Healing, Midna's Desperate Hour and Sacred Grove (TP)

Sacred Grove just felt like an overly sentimental song for me. I don't know why, but I found it sort of sad.

The original Saria's Song was upbeat and whimsical, but the remix seemed completely different.

EDIT: After hearing this amazing remix of the song, i've added this to my saddest songs list. I urge you to listen to it. Right to the end. You can find it here

Last edited:

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
Midna's lament sticks out as the most prominent for me, although a lot of songs from TP could probably manage to fit into being sad.

SheikahWarrior

Randomus Pervertus
song of storms (MM specifically) it doesn't sound sad, but it is what it represents that is sad ''The thousand years of raindrops summoned by my song are my tears. The thunder that strikes the earth is my anger!"

In fact I feel so strongly abut this song, here is a video from a great musician who plays lots of Zelda songs, enjoy!:)

OMG that is amazing. It is one of the only remixes I have ever liked. Because of this video, my saddest Zelda song is Song of Healing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I haven't played all Zelda games but from those I have played I think the song of Queen Rutela is sad. Hearing her story and then the beautiful music starts to play always sounds a bit sad to me. And also when you are going to snowpeak. The music has something sad about it.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
For me, the saddest music would either be Midna's Lament/Desperate Hour or the Final Hour. The Song of Healing is also sad, and I find that there is a feeling of hope in there as well which really brings this feeling out. I can't say that I've heard very many songs in Zelda that I would define as being overly sad.

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Some of the saddest songs I would have to hear in Zelda would be titles like Midna Says Goodbye. It's the combo of the cinematic and how the chorale is written that makes it seem sad.

I agree with Y2K3 that the Final Hour is sad. However, if you listen to the song with an open mind and think about the game, the song is not only saddness. You have the eerie tone in the background that makes the song seem not only sad, but scary and full of anxiety as well, as would all of the people in Termina would feel. They would be sad and scared to die, and it is the song that fully expresses that feeling as well. I don't think that Midna's Lament was that sad...in fact, it got annoyingly repetitive at times during that scene.

Song of Healing can be sad as well, because it is mainly played to people who have died or are dealing with a hard time. However, the song, with the piano part, makes the song feel optimistic at the same time. I suppose the Song of Healing can, at the same time, be a song of hope for a better life/afterlife. I suppose this can be said the same for Farewell King of Hyrule in Wind Waker and Saying Goodbye in Spirit Tracks.

I suppose some other songs that could be slightly depressing are the awakening of the sages in Wind Waker. Koji Kondo is a serious beast when it comes to writing, and can make any Zelda moment feel alive. Happiness, sadness, he can make you feel it all. Sorry for the off topic ending, but it had to be said. So, I suppose I don't have a most sad Zelda song, but perhaps a small list of the saddest tunes in Zelda.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
I think the Song of Healing is a very touching song, but it's made ever more emotional by the cut scene's that accompany it in Majora's Mask. Particularly the cut scene that sees Darmani as the champion of his people, really felt that one!

I also love the Serenade of Water when it is used by Queen Rutelo. Possibly my favourite song in the series.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
I agree, that particular remix of the Song of Healing is so very sad, but in general I never found it that sad because there was always a hint of optimism in the simple melody...

Rutela's Theme and the background music for Snowpeak in TP are terribly sad as well... so haunting... as is the song that plays in WW after Aryll is taken and you go back to the house for the shield... and to see Link's grandma just break down like that, man, it hurts...

Personally though, the song that make me feel the saddest is the Stone Tower Temple music... there's something about it that's so haunting and lonely to me. In game it's not always prominant, but the remix "Nothing Set In Stone" by Second Chance really brings it out... gosh, I could cry when it gets about halfway through. It's a different kind of sadness, almost something like nostalgia... like, you really feel the lingering sadness of the souls left in the that place, in Ikana, the nation torn apart by selfish war, and it's not your sadness you feel but theirs, but you feel it all the same and the fact it was long before your time and there's nothing you can do to about what happened, nothing you can do to directly help relieve their suffering, you can only watch as they linger in agony forever... it just creates such a strong feeling. I can't really explain it...

The Sacred Grove in TP really threw me off. I was expecting, you know, that happy bouncy tune from OoT that everyone loved. Instead it was some haunted remix, like your memories of OoT had been warped and changed to fit the mood right then of trying to cure Link from Zant's curse. Not so much sad, but just plain thought and emotion provoking.....

Song of Healing is more on the "sad" side, especially when you know and consider how it was used; always during the death of someone who was trying to help his friends, and didn't succeed. The song is like a baton pass if you will, giving Link the power to complete what they weren't able to do. Doesn't help that it fits in entire mood of MM where it applies to each character.

Serenade of Water in TP kind of does the same thing that the Lost Woods theme does, taking the memories of OoT and changing them to what TP was. I remember just standing in front of the Zora Queen's ghost, listening and remembering.... I'm really hoping for more moments like that to come in the future of the Zelda series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom