• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Saddest Moments in Gaming

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
And no it can't be when you die in the original Metroid. :lol:

Anyways, what did you think were the saddest moments in gaming history, as in story points (for instance, a character dies). Here are my top three (with three being the least sad and one being the saddest).

#3. Luma Sacrifices Herself (Super Mario Galaxy)

Not sure if Mario's Luma was a girl or not, but that's what it seemed like to me. It was just so sad to see Whitey sacrifice herself for the good of the Observatory and Mario and all them. It brought a tear to my eye when I first saw it and I must say it deserves a spot on my list if you ask me.

#2. Syldra Saves the Party (Final Fantasy V)

This was a very sad moment indeed. While Syldra (the giant sea monster who allows Faris's ship to move without wind) didn't get much screentime, it was very sad to see Syldra sacrifice itself for everybody, especially considering Faris and Syldra were as close as siblings (Faris is actually a girl! omg she's the Shiek of Final Fantasy! :lol:).

#1. The Team Leader Dies (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky)

Technically he/she doesn't die, but rather is wiped from existance due to a time paradox. This is by far the saddest moment in any game I've ever played. It was just something about your partner growing from a coward to a hero of the entire world and then when you die he/she is all alone in sadness. It's so sad, I actually cried a little. Yeah, I cried. And this is coming from a guy who rarely ever cries at anything. I just felt so bad about my partner being all alone... :(

I haven't had any sad moments in gaming with the sole exception of the ending of Final Fantasy X.

Holy crap, that's my exact thought taken right out of my mouth. I've never been seriously effected by what people call "sad moments" in video games, but the FFX ending nearly tore me apart.
Other exceptions might be the end of Kingdom Hearts DS, or when Ike's father dies in Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, but none of those come close to the ending of FFX.

EDIT: I do have to give a special nod to the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Series. Blue Rescue Team's ending caught me completely off guard. Never thought they could do something that good with story in a Pokemon game.

And no it can't be when you die in the original Metroid. :lol:
What? Why not? Its pretty sad having to watch Samus explode into four pieces =<

But anyways, I don't think I really had had any sad moments. I played Super Mario Galaxy, but my brother spoiled the ending, so I knew what was coming. I still found it sad, but what makes it less sad is the fact that you see that Luma again after the credits.

I've also played Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time. The ending to that game is sad. But again, it loses that to me because Dialga will bring you back when you start playing again, or maybe its after the credits, I can't remember.

I can't think of anything as of now. If I do, I'll come in with an ending.

C

chrono trigger

I remember probably the saddest thing i've seen in a game is the ending to Shadow of the Colossus.SPOILER ALERT!! even though the ending had been spoiled for me before i even got the game, i still couldn't help feeling bad for the main character. after all that hard work, turns out they tricked him into killing the colossi and he was turned into a baby, leaving his love stranded in the ancient world with a baby and a horse with a broken leg,having no idea whats been happening, where she is, or what to do.

O

OniLink

the end of Metal Gear Solid 3 & 4 were sad they touched the heart strings

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
The biggest saddest moment for me would be the ending of FFX. I was in tears when I watched that scene. It was heartbreaking. Another sad moment in games for me would be the ending of Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days. I cried a bit at the scene in KH and in KH358/2 Days, I felt upset knowing what was going to happen to Roxas shortly after it's ending. *sniff* Poor Roxas...

And as for Zelda games, the most saddest moment for me would be the part where Midna leaves for the Twilight Realm and breaks the mirror.

D

Darktimeleader

I almost cried at the ending of Pokemon MD, and surprisingly i almost did too on the second one even though I knew it was going to happen! I almost cried also when Grovile was going back to the past with Dusknoir, I thought they both went away, but then EOS cleared it up and i was happy!

Mothers 1 and 2 made me cry because there were no funny moments to dampen down the fact that the entirety of Magicant was nothing but a lie to comfort Ninten's group, and Queen Mary is nothing more than a ghost. It also kind of made me sad when I killed Giygas in Mother 2. Prior to the first game, he lived with Mary and George as an alien. Later he discovers his alien heritage and abducts George and MAry. George escapes with Giygas' own power, which was handed down to use against him. In the first game, he was a freaky alien jerkface that was using extraterrestrial military to take over the world. Then a fat kid comes and cons him into becoming so powerful that he becomes the un-wieldable power of evil itself. Oh, and the character Paula gathers the thoughts of everyone they met and uses it to destroy Giygas. Talk about a major life screw-up. If you analyze it, Paula could've also felt sorry for Giygas and tried to put him to death by using the one thing that Giygas never really got from too many people: love. It's like euthanizing a pet, just more depressing and screwed up.

Last edited:

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Some of the saddest moments I found were in Chrono Trigger. The first one was during the Ocean Palace Disaster (and in remakes with the cutscenes, I think it's even sadder). As old as the game may be, I'm trying not to spoil it. If you've played the game, I'm sure you know what I mean.
Another scene that I think is sad is if you have Marle while you're at the top of Death Peak.
Some other scenes included the one where Marle reads the letter from Leene about her father, and Frog finally bringing Cyrus to a rest. Oh, and the "good" ending with the Parade.

:P

Jmonkey71

Master of Monkeys
I agree completely with MD and 368/2. In MD, even though I knew what would happen, I still shed some tears. I cried even more after the credits (in joy).

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
The ending to Final Fantasy XIII was sad IMO. My 2nd saddest ending though would be super mario galaxy when Luma had to say goodbye to Mario. :( :( Worst ending ever!!!!!!!!!! That better not happen in SMG2! o_O

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Let's see. I don't really play games with sad parts in them but the saddest moment i can think of is...
In Infamous when Trish dies. I know that parts makes people more angry than sad, but it's the best I could do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom