• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

MM-3DS Saddest Moment in Majora's Mask

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I would advocate that Majora's Mask is probably the only title in the series to evoke multiple emotions: fear, anxiety/stress, elation, sympathy, panic, relief etc. However I'd like to focus purely on sadness as this game has its fair share of dark and depressing moments.

So what do you think is the saddest moment in Majora's Mask? Also, would you like to see such moments in future games?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
The moment that jerked the most tears out of me was something that was weirdly both happy and sad at the same time, courage under fire, love despite tragedy - that kind of thing:

When you complete what you need to do to get the Couple's Mask. Kafei and Anju embrace and tell you to get out of there as the sounds and shakes of the moon's decent are all around you. All you *can* do is play the Song of Time and save yourself. Kafei and Anju say that no matter what, they will "face the dawn together."

I rarely ever cry over videogames. I shed a few tears when I first played MM there.

I've experienced only one of these while playing Majora's Mask, but the failure scenes during the Couple's Mask sidequest represent the saddest moments:

I failed in the Sakon's Hideout event, and I guess being trapped inside if you fail does inform you of a relatively torturous experience for Kafei in that event. Anju failing to turn up at the inn after the Hideout event also conjures a pretty sad moment if you succeed in the Sakon's Hideout event. Although the first of these I mentioned had a more profound impact on me...mostly because I actually failed there.

The Astral Observatory theme also does a pretty good job of invoking feelings of sadness, although no events in the Astral Observatory are sad. For me, the standout theme from MM is the Astral Observatory theme.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I disagree with it being the only game to have so many emotions brought out because both OoT and SS (especially) are very emotional too. However I'd say the most emotional moment in MM for me is right near the beginning when you head towards the swamp, and you pass the log thing with the drawing Skull Kid did with Tatl and Tael and you get that cutscene showing him all sad and alone in the rain til they come along. I don't know why but that always kind of chokes me up.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Cremia and Romani.

Nothing in any video game ever has really hit me like Cremia and Romani's story. I think, perhaps, it's because I am an older sister as well, and I understand Cremia's struggle to protect her sibling. I didn't even know about it until after Did You Know Gaming talked about it... and ever since then, I've always felt it was one of the most tragic moments in the series.

It's not so much the part with the aliens, but rather what happens after you help Romani protect the ranch. Romani is so cheerful, happy, and naive, not understanding that the moon is going to kill them. But Cremia is clearly distressed and begins to realize that they were in danger. Her conversation on the cart just shows how sad she is -- her best friend is marrying someone she loves, the moon is getting bigger, and her milk is being attacked by bandits. And all the while, she has to protecr her sibling.

Cremia ultimately decides to give Romani some Chateau Romani, a drink only for adults that Romani has clearly been wanting to taste for a long time. She's either trying to give Romani the happiest day of her life, or perhaps even dull her senses with the drink's effects. And Romani is overjoyed at this sentiment, while Cremia is holding back despair. It's so sad. And then, the last time you see them before the moon is going to crash is when they are both walking back to their house, and they both say "See you tomorrow." Romani says it excitedly, but Cremia says it hesitantly, knowing that there most likely will not BE a tomorrow.

That, my fellow Zelda fans, is horrifyingly sad. I cried. I've never cried at anything else in any video game except for this. Romani's obliviousness and her sister's halfhearted attempts to protect that obliviousness are just... ugh. Amazing. I even wrote a fanfic about this scene because I love it so much. It's so great when a story in any medium can make you feel simultaneously so happy and so sad for the characters.

Also, I disagree as well that MM is the only game to bring out so many emotions. LA, in particular, is another extremely clever and emotional game. I do think MM does it the most effectively, though. After all, I just finished explaining that this is the only game to make me cry. :p

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
Are we just not going to mention the Postman? Because wow that man is dedicated. He literally cannot bring himself to flee until he get permission. I think the best and worst thing about him in the whole game is the scene where he's in his room, trying in vain to force himself to run because he knows he's going to die.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Why does it have to be saddest? A poll was already posted with the topic if I remember correctly.

While Majora's Mask did have moments that made me sad, there where other scenes in other Zeldas that made me equally sad. There is one feeling that only Majora's Mask gave me that none of the other Zeldas did (in fact, only Shadow of the Colossus gave me this feeling besides MM).

Seeing the inside of the moon for the first time was like a sweep of emotion. I felt in awe of the sight, and then a mixture of tranquility and isolation. It was like being in a dream. It's one of my favorite areas in Zelda, a close tie with Stone Tower Temple (which I loved for its unique puzzle and soundtrack)

This is always a tough question. There's at least a dozen moments in this game that you could argue are the saddest, and you wouldn't be wrong. Today, I'm gonna go with Pamela and her father.

From start to finish, this scene gets you. When you arrive in Ikana, she is trapped in her house with monsters constantly at her doorstep. The father who should be protecting her is instead half a monster himself, transformed and locked away in the basement. Pamela is alone in this nightmare, with nowhere to go and no one to turn to.

Even when you do banish the Gibdos and heal her father, the scene is heartbreaking. Her father is confused and upset, not sure what has happened or where he has been, and this little girl comforts him by telling him it was just a bad dream.

Every time I start a new cycle in MM, the first thing I do is go to Ikana Canyon and save Pamela.

Yeah, this is a tough one. I wanted to take the easy way out and just spit out the Anju and Kafei sidequest, but reading the other replies, it made me realize just how MANY sad moments there are in MM. I still think Anju and Kafei would top it off for me, with the multiple "failure" endings you can get, along with the "good" ending just being downright depressing as they both just accept their inevitable death that's quite literally minutes away.

Others would be Darmani and Mikau dying before they were able to complete their incredibly noble and hero-esque tasks. Those two stories actually reminded me of Final Fantasy 7 and Cloud's promise to his fallen comrade Zack, being "I'll live your life..... for you." (Implying that Link continues their tasks with their respective masks and truly does "live their life for them") The Deku Butler's son is kind of like this as well, but I get the feeling that he was just an innocent kid that ran into bad luck with Skull Kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom