• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Saddest Games (so Far)

Teron

van der Nguyen
Hello, Zelda Dungeon! It's ToTeron.
This thread is gonna be similar to the another thread, except this time newer members will hopefully answer the question.

So tell me guys, What's your saddest game?

So far,to me its Kingdom Hearts 358 2 days,because of all the bad things that happen at the end of the game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days seriously, Roxas' life was freaking terrible while in the Organization. I would hate to have to live his life (except for the completely awesome moments on Memory Skyscraper). He gained two best friends in the span of (74?) days and lost them just as easily. He has to find someone who he knows only by name, and he has a goal he can't even accomplish. Poor Roxas :/

Final Fantasy XIII-2 was also a sad game. Caius is just one jacked up man, but he's awesome so it balances out.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Gears of War 3. From the start of the game things weren't looking good. Dom has lost the will to live after he was forced to put his own wife out of her misery in the events that occurred in Gears of War 2. Humanity(what's left of it) is still at war with the locust and the lambent aren't making things easier. Most of humanity has been turned to ash (due to a weapon the cogs were forced to use) and at the brink of destruction, only a few are left and struggle to survive. The majority of the game is about them looking for food and supplies which seems to be very scarce. Then Cole starts to miss his days of being a famous Thrash Ball player which they show you on multiple occasions in some pretty deep ways. And if that weren't enough, Dom actually goes back to his wife's hometown and sacrifices himself to save his squad and his "brother" Marcus. Epic couldn't have pulled it off anymore emotional. That one particular scene is what will make Gears of War 3 memorable for years to come. It was executed so perfectly.

Teron

van der Nguyen
I never shed a tear watching/playing something, except there was a really-really tragic game called Tales of Phantasia. The early part of the game extremely moved me when...
the main characters lost their closest people - parents, siblings.

I also loved the dramatic plot in Zenonia and the superb second part of the original Metal Gear Solid. Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain are terribly depressing as well.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
The saddest game I've ever come across is part of a trilogy; in fact it's the end of it in which spoilers could exist. This is the Legend of Spyro, yet another series that's received some hard beatings for lacking "appeal" to the general audience. But that's not at all the case for me. The final telling of that story, Dawn of the Dragon, takes the protagonists Spyro and Cynder through their land, which is being destroyed by the forces of their malevolent archnemesis, Malefor. Seeing so much havoc being wrought affects them both greatly, but they venture on nonetheless. Most of the ravaging was done by a horrible beast known as the Destroyer, but after Spyro and Cynder destroy it they meet back up with Ignitus, their instructor. The flames left behind by the Destroyer are in the way of their destination, and reach too high for them to fly over and are too high to walk through. So Ignitus casts a barrier about himself and:

[video=youtube;Dzm_3f2iIZo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzm_3f2iIZo[/video]

Seeing him sacrifice himself like that made my heartbeat slow so that I almost felt lifeless. While short, his final words touched me in one of the most emotional ways I can imagine. It felt like losing a loved one, because I was connected to Spyro's pain...and the rage he resorted to thereafter. Fans following the series know about his darker entity, and the usage of it near the end was impeccable.

But that's not even the most poignant scene. As they finally enter Malefor's Lair, the Dark Dragon immediately begins to coax Cynder into a conversational corner, and Spyro into an indecisive state of distrust toward her. You'll have to check out the video below for further reference, but I can tell you it covers the inner darkness that friends experience when they've been/feel betrayed. And that's where the single line comes up that drained me of all sentiments, save sorrow (sorry that Malefor's a little hard to understand; but thank goodness for subtitles):

[video=youtube;IGDS7Z46WPk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGDS7Z46WPk[/video]

And there you have it. Emotional, but equally intense due to the beautifully wicked dialogue of Malefor. The perfect pre-final fight scene to the perfect game. This is an incredible series still open for loads of expanding, and I'm ecstatic that they're bringing it back. This time I hope a movie to follow along with it.

Caige

Moves Like Jagger.
I have to say the saddest one I've played is Kingdom Hearts. The original. But I did feel sad when Soap died in MW3, because he's one of my favorite CoD characters (troll me all you want! D:< ).

Games don't too often stir my emotions, but there have been some cases in which I felt something...?

Anyway... I think Final Fantasy VII was pretty darn sad overall, but particularly Aeris' death. Final Fantasy X had it's moments; the same can be said for its sequel. Tales of Legendia was sad overall, especially the second half. Kingdom Hearts I and 358/2 Days were both pretty sad as well.

Hmm... Well, that's about all I can muster up... :/

Gears of War 3. From the start of the game things weren't looking good. Dom has lost the will to live after he was forced to put his own wife out of her misery in the events that occurred in Gears of War 2. Humanity(what's left of it) is still at war with the locust and the lambent aren't making things easier. Most of humanity has been turned to ash (due to a weapon the cogs were forced to use) and at the brink of destruction, only a few are left and struggle to survive. The majority of the game is about them looking for food and supplies which seems to be very scarce. Then Cole starts to miss his days of being a famous Thrash Ball player which they show you on multiple occasions in some pretty deep ways. And if that weren't enough, Dom actually goes back to his wife's hometown and sacrifices himself to save his squad and his "brother" Marcus. Epic couldn't have pulled it off anymore emotional. That one particular scene is what will make Gears of War 3 memorable for years to come. It was executed so perfectly.

Well screw me for not playing this game yet. You know you could have warned of SPOILERS. Jeez.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
I'm not going into spoilers but the games i'm going to say are either to do with endings or during the wind down to the ending.

Okami and Okamiden. I'm sure a few people can guess the various moments for those two games.
FFCC: Crystal Bearers. One particularly point that just had everything really making the scene sad.
inFAMOUS 2. Have to appreciate a game that can change a tone that well.

Byrne

Waterloo
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and path of raidience. Holy cow, these games are dark. sons killing their fathers, sibling die next to each other in the battlefield, and a prince wants to get killed by one of the main characters to reverse a curse, but it fails to reverse it and the prince dies in vain.. these games are good, BUT HOLY SHISHCABOB, THEY'RE DARK!

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I've cried in 3 of the 4 Professor Layton games; Last Specter had me sobbing on my bed like I was 4. Also, the last itty bit of Twilight Princess got me. Wait, I remember another one: playing the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game at the end after I saved the world and was about to be returned to a human (sorry if I ruined it for anyone). I was only about 7 or 8 and I was so sad! I was at one of my friend's houses (who is a boy) and he was just looking at me weird like he didn't know what to do with a girl crying! :lol:

LordFire

King of Fire
Well, it may not necessarily be classified as a "sad" game, but I found a few parts of Amnesia: The Dark Descent sad. I mean, if you collect all those notes and piece together that Daniel helped killed all those people just to save his own life... The game itself really set the mood for getting someone scared, but I felt more sad than scared near the end of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom