• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rutger Hauer 1944-2019

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Okay. I know it's old news by now. But I just couldn't stand to go another day without a post mentioning this on these forums.

Legendary Dutch character actor and notable philanthropist Rutger Hauer, famous for such roles as Navarre in 1985's Ladyhawk and Roy Batty in 1982's Bladerunner, has died at his home in Beetsterzwaag, presumably due to complications following an unspecified illness. He was laid to rest in a private funeral service on the 24th of July.

Mr. Hauer's most renowned contribution to cinema was the famous "Tears In Rain" death soliloquy for his performance as robot "replicant" Roy Batty in the movie Blade Runner, a scripted sequence which Hauer personally re-authored and largely improvised moments before the film's final shot.

Tears In Rain Monologue - Wikipedia

Mr. Hauer's other roles include that of King Vortigern in the NBC and Hallmark TV miniseries Merlin opposite Sam Neil, Chairman of the Board of Wayne Enterprises Earle in 2005's Batman Begins, and Lothos in 1992's Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Gamers might recognize the vocal stylings of Mr. Hauer as Master Xehanort in Square Enix's Kingdom Hearts, and most recently as the voice and appearance of protagonist Detective Daniel Lazarski in Aspyr Media and Bloober Team's Observer.

Throughout his life Mr. Hauer sponsored numerous philanthropic endeavors. He supported the Sea Shepard Conservation Society and sat on its board of advisors and he established an AIDS awareness organization called the Rutger Hauer Starfish Association to which proceeds from his autobiography All Those Moments: Stories of Heroes, Villains, Replicants, and Blade Runners were donated.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Rutger Hauer 1944 - 2019

Rutger_Hauer__I_ve_always_wanted_to_be_a_Viking.jpg

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Yeah it was all over the news. He was very good at playing the bad guy. He was a great actor and of course an even greater human being. I know him also from Soldaat van oranje. A dutch tv show my parents used to watch. He became famous in Holland for his movie Turks fruit years earlier. He's going to be missed

I was a big fan of his back in the 80's.
One of my favorite movies from 1986 - The Hitcher.
RIP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom