• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rupee System

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
One time or another, most of you have probably had some sort of issue with money while playing a Zelda game. So i'm here to ask what's your favorite way that Nintendo has organized handling your money? How could the money system be improved upon in future installments?

Do you like only being able to hold 99 at the start and then being able to upgrade your wallet size later?

Do you like upgrading wallets but having somewhere to keep all of your money if the wallet gets full like in MM?

Do you like having the ability to carry massive amounts of rupees from the very beginning?

Personally, I like not having to worry about how big my wallet is. I can't even comprehend how many times i've been in a dungeon, open a chest to get a nice 50 rupees, and then realize my wallet is already full. I think we should in the beginning be able to carry up to 500 and then upgrade to maybe 2 or 3 thousand so we don't have to worry anymore

I support upgrading wallets and having a bank to store them in like in Majora's Mask. This was not only a more realistic approach to Terminian economy-people here on Earth rarely carry large sums of money in their wallets but rather store them safely in a bank for later use-but alleviated the problem of wasting rupees. It's a shame Nintendo failed to take note of its previous approach as Twilight Princess was the worst offender of offering rupee after rupee which went to waste when your wallet was full. It might as well be the New Super Mario Bros. 2 of the Zelda franchise.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I have never cared much for upgrading wallets. I think max wallet capacity from the start would be good. But I'm not a big rupee collector so it hasn't bothered me much to be honest.

octorok74

TETTAC
I also liked having to upgrade your wallet. It added more of a challenge throughout the game and gave you something to strive for.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I prefer upgrading the wallets. It allows for a sense of progression to take place. Maybe there's something you can't get right away due to the price (even if it's not instantly available). Well, no fears, just upgrade your wallet and collect more rupees! It feels much more satisfying to earn that item you couldn't get before rather than always being able to get it so long as you farmed for rupees. The only problem was not ever having much worth buying in the past. Thank you, Skyward Sword for changing that. I guess the DS titles did a pretty decent job with not having upgrades to the wallets (especially ST), but I ultimately prefer the upgrade style in the end.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I like upgrading wallets, but I also like the bank from MM. TP's rupee system never really annoyed me, it was just weird, like when your wallet is full and you find rupees in a treasure chest and it says "let's come back for it later". Sure...after I've slain all the monsters and gotten past all the traps in a dungeon, I'd just LOVE to go back in there again for 20 smackaroonies. Now if TP had rupees worth 100 or 200 like in SS, that would be a different story.

MW7

Ideally I'd want a bank and several large rupee bag upgrades, but I think the most important thing is having plenty of useful things to spend the rupees on. Two Zelda games that handled this well IMO are Legend of Zelda and Skyward Sword. Legend of Zelda did this by making rupees almost constantly used because they were arrows, your means of gaining health restoring items, and rupees only came in 1 and 5 varieties (except for special hidden spots). Skyward Sword just had piles of useful things to buy, and every trip to the sky I would unload all the rupees I had at Beedle's shop (mostly) or the other vendors. I never really had rupees start to be useless until the game was virtually all over.

As for the rupee bag itself I agree that starting relatively high like 500 and then upgrading to a couple thousand would be good. The only game in which money really bothered me was Ocarina of Time because rupees became absolutely useless very early on in the game for me. Also Twilight Princess was a little annoying just because I usually had a full wallet so I constantly put rupees back in chests.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Do you like only being able to hold 99 at the start and then being able to upgrade your wallet size later?
Yes I do; as others said this allows for a nice feeling of progression and a greater sense of achievement when you buy that one item that costs a bizarre amount (e.g everything in TP). If we had max wallet size at start, that'd be incredibly uhm...incredibly not fun.

Do you like upgrading wallets but having somewhere to keep all of your money if the wallet gets full like in MM?
Definitely, it never hurts to have extra money lying around that you can access sometime later!

Do you like having the ability to carry massive amounts of rupees from the very beginning?
Nope.

All in all, the only way to improve the Rupee system is by making things more valuable gameplay wise, while keeping their prices in the medium range while still making rupees rather plentiful so as to keep up with the shops.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Tbh the money system in Zelda games has always been very poor as the like of Twilight Princess had you keep the small wallet for ages and there would be nothing to spend your money on so finding rupees became nothing special and it really let the game down this was also the case with the likes of Ocarina of Time and many other Zelda games, Wind Waker allowed you to carry more rupee's but you just spent them on triforce maps near the end of the game.

Its clear that Zelda needs to look at some games and how they handle the money system and i think the Fallout games have a very good money system as you can buy and trade as well as barter with shopkeepers to get lower prices and the money in this game actually becomes the key to success in the game. Zelda games should increase the amount of rupees in game as it will feel like things are more valuable, for example something that costs 10 rupees in a previous game now cost's 100 rupees. They also should do more upgrades on wallets and for the start you should be able to hold a 1000 then 2500, 5000, 7500, 10000, 25000 etc. plus they should bring back the bank system from Majoras Mask.

donkey kong

Juicy pants.
I don't care about the wallet system. I think it's fine the way it is. I never have to use rupees unless if it was mandatory. One thing I would like to see though, is the bank system from MM.

Z

ZeldaKingTonsor

i aggree, i think that all zeldas should have a bank system and ruppee bag upgrades. i always love the feeling when i get that last ruppee bag upgrade.

Whether or not a bank is useful probably depends on how many rupees you are able to hold with the most upgraded wallet. By the end of Skyward Sword, you can hold upwards of 10,000 rupees. There is just no godly reason why it would ever be necessary to have that many rupees so a bank would be useless. I hope that future games will follow the lead of Skyward Sword with offering lots of items for Link to buy and upgrade that make collecting rupees worthwhile. I'd even like to see more rupee-intensive side quests. What if Hyrule Castle Town or Kakariko Village fell into ruin and Link could help restore them by paying the carpenters or donating to some kind of community fund? We saw a little bit of this in Twilight Princess with restoring the bridge to the castle town or helping the shop to open there, etc. I thought that was enjoyable.

In terms of wallet size and upgrades, I think upgrading your wallet is just a "Zelda thing" to the point that it is almost a staple of the series and I would be disappointed if it weren't there. I do think it is important to be either start with more than 99 rupees (at least 300 or 500) at the beginning OR be able to upgrade very early on in the game. It takes all of two minutes to get 99 rupees and I hate walking around with a full wallet.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I don't mind starting off with only being able to carry 99 rupees, as long as you can upgrade your wallet quickly after beginning the game. The only game that gave me trouble rupee wise was Twilight Princess, as you couldn't take the rupees from the chest if you had a full wallet. As I am a person who likes to complete Zelda games 100%, I quickly learned to drain my wallet before entering a new dungeon. Personally, I'm not that picky on this matter.

I like this system. Although it may seem to be a nuisance at first (especially when re-playing a game), I think it inspires the player to work hard towards a certain goal. If you want something, you have to earn it. By upgrading the wallet size it keeps the game fun and does a lot to add a sense of fulfillment to the game as you realize the many possibilities available when upgrading your wallet.

I loved this in Majora's Mask and I'd love to see it again. I personally can't resist grabbing a rupee when I see it, so my wallets usually fill up quite fast. It's annoying when your wallet does fill up, say in the middle of a dungeon, and then you find a silver-rupee chest. It was nice to be able to save money in Majora's Mask and actually be able to use it later, instead of wasting it on junk just to free up some wallet space.

NO. As I said before, I like working towards a goal and feeling accomplished afterwards. I feel that just having the ability to carry so many rupees at the start of a game would give too easy of a feeling to the game. I would feel as though things were too "available", and it takes away some of the realism of the game. I like to be able to deal with my rupee collecting, spending, and storing in Zelda games just like in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom