• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rumour - Microsoft developing a disc-less Xbox One

"The Scarlett devices are Microsoft’s next-gen consoles and are not expected until 2020 but in 2019, the company is planning to release a disc-less console. And if this is making you nervous because you have a large collection of physical discs for your current Xbox, Microsoft has you covered.

In addition to the new console, there will be a ‘disc-to-digital’ program that, as the name states, turns your physical games into digital downloads. The idea is that you can take your disc to a participating retailer (like the Microsoft store) and trade in your disc for a digital download."

Source - https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/192184/microsofts-building-a-disc-less-xbox-one-for-release-in-2019#

What do you think about this?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Meh. It's not like it's replacing the option to play games physically. If this is something people are interested in, well now they have the option.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I wouldn't want to turn in my physical games to get digital versions of them. I figured in the future we'd stop getting physical games. But I think we are still far off from a complete phase out of physical games. Unless Sony and Nintendo follow suit in the future with their consoles.

Killing the resale's industry. Gamestop, 3rd party sellers are going to take a plunge. ROM/Emulation industry will still take off, especially the nuzlock/fanmade games. If another major company follows suit it will definitely change the landscape.

I have mainly digital games at this point, but I enjoy having an array of physical copies. Gamestop will go out of business most likely, this reminds me of when digital DVDs became popularized and big places like Hollywood video and Blockbuster went out of business. There was no point in going out of your way to buy a physical copy of a DVD when you could buy it on Amazon. Something that's good about this, is that my family and I have a long history of losing discs easily, only to find them scratched up and unable to work. I guess we'll just have to see.

I have mainly digital games at this point, but I enjoy having an array of physical copies. Gamestop will go out of business most likely, this reminds me of when digital DVDs became popularized and big places like Hollywood video and Blockbuster went out of business. There was no point in going out of your way to buy a physical copy of a DVD when you could buy it on Amazon. Something that's good about this, is that my family and I have a long history of losing discs easily, only to find them scratched up and unable to work. I guess we'll just have to see.

It's actually the future. Microsoft is the first to implement it. People are already ordering online more than ever.
Groceries are getting shipped, local groceries are catching on.
The thing is they will catch backlash because in this world everyone is raised differently, so for every like there's a dislike. genuine and fabricated. But a big corporation will survive it, the second another major gaming platform (Sony, Nintendo) hops into their ranks and join in; it will be solidified for the future in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom