• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rumor: Wii U to Be Priced at $200?

Rumor: Wii U Pricing & Release Date Leaked | GenGAME

A few moments ago, we received a tip from an insider who attended the recent GameStop product conference about the price and release date for the Wii U. According to the source, the Wii U will launch on November 18, 2012 (the date that was reportedly previously leaked) with an astounding price tag of $199.99.

That sounds low – and Mr. Iwata has stated that Wii U’s minimum price would be around 20,000 yen (roughly $250), but a reduced Wii U price for America could make sense considering the poor launch of the 3DS for $50 more. Nintendo hopes to avoid a similar launch for the Wii U, and I can’t imagine that they wouldn’t be successful at that price. However, keep in mind that until Nintendo makes an official statement, this should be considered a rumor.

A few things to keep in mind:

- Yen product prices don't always convert nicely to dollars. Iwata's minimum price for Japan may differ from what Nintendo believes the minimum price for America should be. 3DS launched for 25,000 yen in Japan, which would have come out to $300; in America, 3DS launched for $250.
- $200 is actually about average for Nintendo hardware launches. NES, SNES, and GameCube's standard bundles all went for $200 at launch.
- Nintendo says that a competitive price for Wii U compared to other products on the market will be very important.
- The U.S. economy is not in very good shape, so a much lower price for America is reasonable.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Haven't you heard? All the Wii U systems were mass-produced in China.

If this rumor turns out to be true, then a lot of people are going to be happy. I might even consider buying this new system for the iconic titles that will appear later on, after its release. For now I'll sit back and wait for word on them. But since the Wii U might be $200, rather than $400 or $500 (as were the earlier estimates I'd read about), then it's well worth looking into. Sounds like a good deal to me, so I hope it's factual instead of false.

I'm still expecting $250-300 personally, but like I said, given historical patterns and recent info, it's POSSIBLE, and that's enticing enough to consider.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
$200USD for a piece of hardware like the Wii U personally does not seem likely. The 3DS itself cost $250 at launch, the Wii as I recall was $300 (or 250? I don't have source, just running off memory). 3DSXL is $200. I would venture $300 as a more probable guess, seeing as the Wii U apparently has better well everything compared to the PS3 and Xbox 360. Whether it is mass produced or not, I just do not see any reasoning for $200 at launch aside from the less than desirable economy (big thing).

Rumors are rumors, so I guess we can leave it at that.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
$200USD for a piece of hardware like the Wii U personally does not seem likely. The 3DS itself cost $250 at launch, the Wii as I recall was $300 (or 250? I don't have source, just running off memory). 3DSXL is $200. I would venture $300 as a more probable guess, seeing as the Wii U apparently has better well everything compared to the PS3 and Xbox 360. Whether it is mass produced or not, I just do not see any reasoning for $200 at launch aside from the less than desirable economy (big thing).

Rumors are rumors, so I guess we can leave it at that.

The GameCube was released at a lower price than the N64 was, and the 3DS had a price drop. Also add in the fact that Nintendo is trying to market to a failing economy and you've got good reasoning to base this rumor on. I'm not saying it's true, but I'm saying it's definitely likely.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
$200 is a lot less than I thought that the console was going to cost. >_> But even if it turns out that it's actually $50-$100 more, I'm still going to get one regardless. Might take me a bit longer to save up for it, but I'm still going to get it. I'm hoping though this rumor has some fact to it and that it will be just $200, but for right now all I can do is just wait until it's officially announced by Nintendo what the price for it is going to be.

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
$200 Would be awesome because you know I don't think people want to spend a lot of money on video game systems but I don't think 200 will happen it just seems to low. The price i'm expecting is about $350 at minimum.

Garo

Boy Wonder
The GameCube was released at a lower price than the N64 was, and the 3DS had a price drop. Also add in the fact that Nintendo is trying to market to a failing economy and you've got good reasoning to base this rumor on. I'm not saying it's true, but I'm saying it's definitely likely.

Additionally, with Nintendo's interest in remaining competitive with hardware sales, it's very likely that they are selling the system at a lesser profit or maybe even for a nominal loss in order to compete with the other consoles. A $200 next-gen system will be really hard to compete with for the average gamer's wallet.

WiiU priced at 200 dollars sounds completely fabulous. If this rumor turns out to be true, Nintendo will be earning a lot of money: even if the system is being sold for a minimal profit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom