• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild RPG Elements in Zelda WiiU

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
How would you guys like to see more RPG elements in the next Zelda game? Personally I'd love to them, in particular I'd love to see more of the upgrading system but more so then that I want to see multiple choice paths, which would make the replay value better. Like by going to this temple you would longer have the option to go to some other temple. Then at the end of the game, regardless of what you did it would all come to the same ending, to me it would have to cause otherwise it would get to confusing. What do you guys think? I think it'd be awesome. I have other ideas but wanted to start this thread off.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Yes, I would love to see them. Here's an excerpt from a blog of mine.

Look at the rings from the OoX. These things offered customization and provided specific benefits depending on which ones were equipped. They had features like dealing more plus taking less damage, automatically recovering hearts, no sliding on ice, and even turning into a specific enemy. The only downside was only one ring could be equipped at a time. What if this were improved by working more like the medals in Skyward Sword where them being equipped takes up a slot in the Adventure Pouch, allowing for multiple rings -- or whatever kind of item is used -- to be equipped at once? Or maybe they could have their own container like they did in the OoX (the Ring Box), only have something like a point amount assigned to them with a maximum number of points available for use. It would provide a lot more resource management and would allow Link to have lots of cool enhancements, which would be perfect for Zelda.

Then you have the upgrading mechanic featured in Skyward Sword. Treasure and bugs obtained either in the overworld or via an enemy drop could be used to upgrade Link's items and potions. Certain quest items could be upgraded to receive specific benefits, while extra containers could be upgraded to hold more of their respective items (Bombs, Arrows, Deku Seeds). It's a cool feature, right? Well what if it were to be enhanced in the future? What if there were multiple paths for upgrading items? What if we could upgrade Link himself? Gain specific skills to use, such as the aforementioned Hidden Skills and Tiger Scrolls, only flesh them out a bit more. Or maybe having the ability to pick up enemy weapons come back, only with the ability to store them in a pouch. The list goes on and on.

Magic could also fall under this category. I actually don't think that magic is an absolute necessity for Zelda, but when executed properly, there's no doubt it can only be beneficiary. In fact, if it were to be merged (properly) with the more mechanical side Zelda has seen ever since The Minish Cap, that would be pure gold. If magic were to be brought back, though, spells should be a part of the mix. There isn't anything wrong with the use of magical items, but they alone just don't do the use of magic justice. Physical use of magic, like that of Zelda II and Majora's Mask, should be a part of the formula if magic is ever to be at is maximum usefulness in Zelda. Of course, this could also use something like purchasing more powerful magic abilities. Or perhaps a skill tree -- earn skill points from killing enemies and use them to power Link's magic abilities up. The possibilities of what could be done are enthralling to think about.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I want the game to have more RPG elements. Skill trees, elemental based attacks, battle skills et cetera. This video will show every single thing I want to see in Zelda Wii U, and Zelda as a series from here on out:

[video=youtube;MrqmmiJDiAk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrqmmiJDiAk[/video]

RPG elements are a weird one to implement into Zelda. When people think RPG they still think turn based combat which would radically change Zelda and alienate the fans who aren't RPG fans, however, i wouldnt mind seeing some RPG elements but not in the way SS clumsily attempted.

I'd quite like to see the RPG elements from Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, in where you had a magic meter, a collection of collected runes that you could mix and match for various spells such as increasing your sanity meter, revitalising your health, enchanting weapons for stronger attacks, or elemental powers such as freezing enemies with a swipe of your sword, increase the ammo of a projectile etc, i think something like that would be really neat in Zelda as a kind of temp upgrade for a weapon instead of just ruppee grinding, material searching and purchasing at the end of the game like i did when there is no need for it.

Another thing i'd quite like to see happen is to upgrade your companion, kind of like what we had in PH where we upgraded the right fairy with the right power crystal but make it more unique. For example if your companion helped or was actually useful in combat or in the field then you could upgrade her (notice its usually a her?). In fact the companion being almost like an item would be a wonderful RPG element, upgrade her stats for higher shield magic, better clothing depending on what she does, its pretty nebulous and i'd really like to see that.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I'd first and foremost want to see a leveling/upgrading mechanic, What I mean by this is that as we progress through the game we'll become stronger than before, Not just by getting an increased amount of health, but by getting weapons that hurt more, clothes that can take more damage, boots that can make us run faster etc. So that when we compare the Link from the start of the game with the Link we have at the very end we'll be a lot more powerful.

Now there are a few ways Nintendo could implement this into the series, I personally would want to work a little more on the upgrading system from SS. So after we complete a dungeon for instance, We'll be able to loot the boss for items to equip, items which give us a stat boost. Items would have different stat boosts and depending on how the player would want to play their character they can choose which stats they want to be their strongest. Maybe I like being durable, so I choose armor that grants more defense points. Or I'm more of a magic kind of guy, So I choose armor that gives me magic points etc. It would be enough to have 3 attributes, Magic, Defense and Strength.

This means that we'd also have more customization, Instead of just having the traditional green garb we'd be able to choose something that fits more out type of combat. If I'm a witch (lol) I'd maybe want to have lighter armor like robes, if I'm a warrior I'd like that heavy plate armor etc. Apply this to swords, shields, boots and we'll have a nice amount of options for looks and gameplay.

I'd like the Upgrade System from SS to return, but bigger, better, and generally more awesome than before.

The most exciting upgrades in Skyward Sword were for the items, so I think Nintendo should build off of that aspect. However, all upgrades being optional in the first place was nice, so I say make some upgrades required so items don't become irrelevant, but don't become stale either, and keep a lot of things such as Bow strength, Slingshot shots, Bug Net size, etc. optional.

Scoby

France
i would love for zelda to have a big open world like skyrim, big arsenal of weapons and items we can buy that give different boosts, customization to clothing and most important >side quests<

I really hope this doesn't happen, ESPECIALLY WHAT SCOBY SAID. I really hated the upgrade/craft system SS had and I'd be disapointed If Nintendo insist on using such RPG elements. Whats next, levels? Even more farming? Multiple status effects? The list goes on. Don't get me wrong, I've clocked over 300 hours on a single playthrough of Tales of Graces F because of all the farming, leveling up, sidequests (etc), but I would hate Zelda to have lot's of those common RPG elements, probably as much as I would hate It being a truly openworld game, the balance of linear progression and free exploration have been quite good so far, let's keep It that way. As for common RPG elements, when I'm playing Zelda, I'M PLAYING ZELDA. Have a inspiration or two on other games may do some good to Zelda, but I still want It to be Zelda, with the original formula. The upgrading/crafting on SS really felt out of place, specially because we had It before but in fewer amount and in the form of sidequest (like that goron race for the gold dust on MM), that's way less generic and fits the game so much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom