• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

RP General Discussion/New Hosts Guide

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
A place to talk about RPing in general, as requested by RemnantHukmalon

RPs will be removed from the Active RPs list after one month of inactivity, or an announcement of closure from the mod or players

CURRENT RPS:
None
CURRENT SIGN-UPS:
Explorers of the Surface (DekuNut)
The Altonia Files (Magolor)

The following guide was written by ZDer @Pen
Lately I've seen a few new roleplays that have started here. It's great seeing new people taking the initiative to start new games, but the style as well as the opening process is pretty drastically different from how we've been doing role-playing here in the past. That said though, I'm not saying this new way I've seen is wrong, but I do have my preferences so in this post I'm just going to explain the process in which I like to start up a new roleplay, and the manner in which I like to play it.

Sign-Up Thread
The first step is to make a sign-up thread. This thread typically serves three purposes:
- to explain what type of game the roleplay will be and to check how many players are interested in joining
- it is were people sign up and create their characters by filling out an application with info about the character you want to play as
- this thread is also a place where the players can discuss the game out of character without interrupting the game itself

As example of a sign-up thread like the one I described, here is the sign-ups for Hyrulean Civil War: https://zeldadungeon.net/forum/threads/hyrulean-civil-war-rp-sign-ups.59604/

Game Thread
After the game host feels like they have enough players to start the game they will open up the game thread. This is where the fun happens! It's where the accepted players play the roles of the characters they signed up as in the sign-up thread. There are of course rules in place to prevent godmodding, trolling, and other inappropriate behaviour, but the players are allowed to write their characters freely without being forced into following any specific patterns or whatever. To showcase a concrete example of this I will link to the game thread of Hyrulean Civil War: https://zeldadungeon.net/forum/threads/hyrulean-civil-war-rp-game-thread.59612/

Again, this is just how I like to roleplay. There's no objectively right or wrong way to do it. The reason why I made this post was mostly to let everyone know about this system that I prefer. Thanks for reading! ^^

Last edited:

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I'm good with a high school RP, but I'll warn you now, they tend to be pretty slow for the most part, since there's no need for an overarching plot. It's all character-driven.
But short answer: I'll play

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
I'd also like to gather interest for a possible mtg RP. Would be more game like, similar to D&D but not on that level. You would just have to keep track of Mana or something for casting spells.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I'm just saying, the World of Hyrule is an empty place right now...*cough* It could certainly use some characters to fill in the empty spaces...

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I've been following the thread, but it's kinda midterms time, so I'm not adding anything new to my plate this week, and I will in a limited way next week

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I'm not trying to call anyone out, it's no one's responsibility to post, I'd just like to have a little more to read about the world than my own part of the story. At some point, I'll start up a role play that will be story/group based and at that point, I'd hope that people would be responsible to post at least once a week but I like the idea of seeing other people's writing styles here before I decide to jump into a classic role play. Thanks for responding though, now I have something to look forward to.

Edit: Also, there is no approval necessary in this role play, it's totally open to anyone.

Pen

The game is on!
An announcement to all of my fellow roleplayers here at the forums!

I have created a group chat on Skype dedicated to the roleplaying that we do here. It will be a place for us all to talk about our games, our characters, and roleplay in general in a slightly freer and more relaxed way than here at the forums. I don't wanna leave anyone out, so for anyone who's interested in joining the group chat, my Skype username is pendioz. Add me and I'll place you in the Skype chat. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom