• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Romance Between Link and Zelda

Kazumi

chagy
This morning a few trailers of Skyward Sword have been released, which have primarily shown some gameplay and some of the new locales in the game. However, I'm most interested with this one:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/09/29/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-romance-trailer

In this trailer we see Link receiving a letter from Zelda, and then they go flying around on birds and stuff. It seems to me like they have some sort of romantic connection. I also think that it's safe to say that the reason Link starts his quest is to rescue Zelda, as evidence from other trailers has shown. Anyway, what do you all think of this? Do you like the idea of romance between Link and Zelda becoming canon? Do you think that Nintendo will actually elaborate on it in Skyward Sword? Poast thoughts.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I don't mind them having a romantic relationship as it has not really been done before and will make an interesting change, perhaps it will be a good thing so long as zelda is very likeable, so far I have seen nothing to suggest that she is not. I do however think that they will have to be parted at the end of the game, as it is unlikely one of the links actually becomes part of the royal family.

Last edited:
I love it.
This extra emotional comitment in the game will benefit the game experience from a players point of view, since the player will feel along with his hero.

Yea just watching that trailer made the moment at the end where Zelda disappears so much more meaningful.

Mubble

Pokémon Pusher
I'm glad that there's more implied depth between the characters in this one =) I think it's quite sweet.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I think it's funny they have a romance trailer, but I'm more inclined to think their love is exceeded by very deep bounds of friendship.

Edit: Never mind...I forgot about Zelda getting right in Link's face. I'm sure we'll see the usual *hinthint*s, but Nintendo will probably keep it family friendly.

Last edited:
when i was watching that trailer i want to cry its so good what nintendo made it was just like i was looking at a love movie but when zelda gets hit by the tornado the music the feeling it looks olmost like the move is having a sad ending go on nintendo go on :)

You can tell just from that short clip that Nintendo really is diving head-first into the Link+Zelda romance in this game. I for one don't mind, the fact that they're such close friends, or even in love in SS would also explain the closeness they feel in most other games (TP, WW, ST, etc), which I know many people describe as random, but maybe it's because in this previous incarnation of themselves, they were so close!

This isn't really the first time a relationship between Link and Zelda has been hinted. WW, PH, and ST had a lot of indications between the two. This game seems to have more heavy hints, but it has to. Unlike in those other games, Zelda is going to be captured for a large portion of it (okay, she was captured right away in PH, but had a game before that to develop her character), so she has to be characterized at a faster pace.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
When I watched that trailer this morning, I nearly forgot I had to go to class because I was SQUEEEing so much. That alone should convey my thoughts about this romance thing. I absolutely loved the way Link and Zelda interacted. It's so realistic and relate-able; they act exactly how you would expect two really close friends with mutual feelings for each other to act. Letters to each other, the playful kidding around, spending time alone in obscure out of the way places, it's all so realistic and you can FEEL how close they are. Not to mention Link actually shows proper reactions to everything. Hints of romance in other Zelda games all felt either forced or tacked on, first to mind is Ilia, where all the interactions with her felt awkward or angsty, as opposed to here, where Link and Zelda are actually having fun together in a lighthearted manner. This is character interaction done RIGHT, and it adds so much more emotion to the story.

I'm also a huge ZeLink fan to begin with, so my inner fangirl is having a spazzattack of joy right now XP

Katelynn

Flirtatously Flirty
When I watched that trailer this morning, I nearly forgot I had to go to class because I was SQUEEEing so much. That alone should convey my thoughts about this romance thing. I absolutely loved the way Link and Zelda interacted. It's so realistic and relate-able; they act exactly how you would expect two really close friends with mutual feelings for each other to act. Letters to each other, the playful kidding around, spending time alone in obscure out of the way places, it's all so realistic and you can FEEL how close they are. Not to mention Link actually shows proper reactions to everything. Hints of romance in other Zelda games all felt either forced or tacked on, first to mind is Ilia, where all the interactions with her felt awkward or angsty, as opposed to here, where Link and Zelda are actually having fun together in a lighthearted manner. This is character interaction done RIGHT, and it adds so much more emotion to the story.

I'm also a huge ZeLink fan to begin with, so my inner fangirl is having a spazzattack of joy right now XP

Ha Ha, I watched this video over and over again. I really liked the oarts where Zelda get up close to Link, I thought that was a romantic spark between them. And also, it was qutie cute when she was pushing him off the edge of Skyloft to practice Bird Flying, it was definitely a "best friend" moment that was well constructed and moved smoothly. I sincerely hope Nintendo tries to make this Link x Zelda couple work, cux i'm sitting here going MAJOR FAN-GIRL right now!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

~Love It!~

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
I will say that I've always been a fan of the idea of a Link x Zelda thing, so... I was really excited to see this trailer! I really think that this is the perfect game to have such a romance between them. They've been childhood friends, so they're obviously really close, and it just seems like it flows well into them at least feeling romantically toward each other so much. Not to mention, this really makes you wonder about the ending. Because something is going to happen that makes you wonder how they'll deal with their feelings toward each other. I've never been so excited to see the ending cinematic to a game before.
I keep getting more and more excited for this game. <3

F

foundthebigkey

(first, sorry about the duplicate thread)

Zelda / Link in a real relationship would be the best thing to happen in the series for years. And I really want them to be together at the end - everything seems to end bittersweet now.

Out of interest, is there some cannon reason that makes a Link in the royal family awkward, or is it just preference? (considering the timeline there's probably 5 equally valid responses to that)

edit
watched again and there is one scene where Zelda stops just short of kissing link - if they don't go through with a real romance now after that trailer I'll eat my Wii.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom