• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Discussion Thread

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Can we get a mod in here to sort this stupid move out, Either put a spoiler tag around the actual thing or just out n out delete the thread as Domo is now baiting for negative responses.

MW7

I love the movie. I think the beginning (after Jyn's introduction) is oddly designed because they jump you between three (?) planets right off the bat. This is really hard to follow. After that though the film is easy to follow and has lots of references to Episode IV. Vader's final scene in particular is amazing. I also appreciate how complex and gray the morality of the "good" characters is.

Just finished the showing; still in theatre. Two things—

K2 is literally Iggy from Ergo Proxy and I loved him and I cried when he was destroyed just like I did with Iggy. He probably is among my favorite Star Wars characters.

Second, I am glad everyone died, because it would have been anticlimatic otherwise. I accidentally caught glimpse of @Night Owl 's post in here about survivors and got worried. Also, really glad Darth Vader directly slaughtered some rebels, but I wish there was some more Darth Vader.

MW7

They did a very good job using cgi and archive footage. I didn't even notice that several people were inserted digitally such as Governor Tarkin.
I skimmed through Star Wars fan forums, and a lot of people are going nuts about the use of CGI for him and other characters. I mean he is the one character from Episode IV that really needs to be there, and what other options are there? Recasting him would have been a terrible decision. I feel the same as you. I absolutely love the use of archival footage. The only thing/person I hoped for that didn't appear was Wedge.

There are so many nice little touches in this film. Like during the dogfight Red 5 dies so that in Episode IV he could be replaced by the new Red 5 - Luke.

Night Owl

~Momentai
Just watched it a second time after coming home. My dad got frustrated with the way they did the opening and the first portion of the movie. He got lost with all of the jumping around, it took him a while to realize that was grown-up Jyn and not Jyn's mother because the time skip wasn't flagged as a time skip. There just weren't enough flags to help him keep up with all of the skipping around that the story does at the beginning. I myself didn't have a problem figuring out what was going on, but I do agree it was kind of choppy with all of different story elements to keep straight.

This time I found myself amused that the droid K2SO is one digit away from being called potassium sulfate or potassium sulfite; and one letter away from being called potassium sulfide. (K2SO4, K2SO3, and K2S respectively) Apparently my brain hasn't decided to be done with Chemistry yet.

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I saw it yesterday and I loved every single solitary second of it. I love the nods to Episode 4, one of my favorites being that, in the streets of Jedha, Jyn bumps into the two criminals that pick a fight with Luke in the Mos Eisley Cantina and get an arm cut off by Ben. The action was thrilling each time, I absolutely loved the characters, Jyn and K2 especially, and man oh man the final few minutes had me short of breath and on the edge of my seat, absolutely phenomenal.

I think one of my favorite things was the fact that the Death Star flaw they exploited in Epsode 4 wasn't actually a flaw at all. I thought that was ****ing brilliant because thats not even a retcon thats straight-up awesome. I also loved that Jyn knew which file was the Death Star plans because of the name her father picked for it, that hit me in the heart somethin fierce.

In short I ****ing love this movie. a lot.

Djinn

and Tonic
I thought it was interesting having CGI Peter Cushing through several parts of the movie. I thought they would attempt to find someone else that could play the part.

It is fun to finally see other stuff in Star Wars outside the same old main characters all the time. But did anyone notice how we did not see any aliens that were introduced in the prequels at all? It really looks like they are keeping strictly to the OT when it comes to aesthetic.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I thought the movie was really good. Acting was good, there was great action, and it was funny when necessary but not overly so.
CGI Leia was a little off-putting for me, but I don't mind her use as a whole.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I did enjoy the movie, but after thinking about it for a while I find that as a standalone movie it isn't that great. Direction wise & visually it was amazing, as would be expected. Storywise I don't think it was that interesting or unique. Jyn is pretty dull and has one really good emotional scene, but that's it for me. Cassian was just really un-charismatic. The blind guy and his friend had the best dynamic between them and felt underused, the same with the pilot. As for the parts I really enjoyed, they live on the legacy of the original trilogy (AT-ATs, space battles, Vader, Death Star).

I was sort of bored with the first two acts of the movie, so IMO the movie should've started at Yavin IV and just went on from there with more character development and less fan appeal.

I can't agree with people who say that Tarkin (got distracted by CGI), Vader, AT-AT's, and a big space battle needed to be in this movie. Director Krennic should've been the only antagonist and I felt he got overshadowed in the scenes with Tarkin & Vader, for no real reason except for fan-appeal. If he and Jyn's father had more scenes instead of Tarkin & Vader, then their characters would've been much stronger.

I'm not disappointed, and still enjoyed the movie, but feel like it could've been much better and added much more to the Star Wars universe hadn't the producers taken the safe route and kept a lot of old elements from what everyone associates with "Star Wars".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom