• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rito Tribe

N

Nemesis

When we see the Kokorok plays on his instrument, a Kokiri is "standing" behind him, and we at Zelda Dungeon know that the kokoroks were Kokiris before.

And when we see the Rito plays on her instrument, a Zora is "standing" behind her.

According to what I've learned, there was a glitch in Majora's Mask enabling the Zora Link (Miaku) to 'Fly' in the Great Bay. Nintendo learned this and used that glitch as an idea for the Wind Waker.

W

Wings

Sorry about that, I assumed that PH was in the same setting as TWW was. I don't own the game, nor do I remember the ending in TWW. Now that I understand that, it even further strengthens my beliefs that the Rito are the evolved creatures that came from the Zora.

I just remembered something crucial to this theory. As you all know, Makar is a Korok from Forest Haven who plays the violin. Fado is a Kokiri, and also the previous Sage of Wind, who played the same violin as Makar does. Is there a possible connection here?

Medli is a Rito from Dragon Roost Island who plays the harp. Laruto is a Zora, the former Sage of Earth, and plays the same harp that Medli is seen playing too. Not to mention she is wearing the same sash type cloth that Medli is wearing. Is this yet another connection between races?

Its been pretty well established that the kokiri became Koroks, Kokiri houses are in the Forbidden Woods and the Deku Tree says as much himself.
Biology as a reason would make sense. The Zora's were clearly designed for shallow waters. In all instances, the Zora's are close to land (OoT, MM, TP), thus preferring it thus designed for it. Therefore, when the ocean flooded, the Zoras had to fly or die as it were. Add in a little divine intervention (Valoo), the Ritos could get their wings and begin happy jobs as postal workers. Finally, the Zora's from PH are there because there are two divergent Zora races, one of River Zoras and one of Ocean Zoras. River Zoras are the fish that would spit fire balls at you in LA and OoS/OoA. It would make sense that these fish became PH Zoras, and the more civilized Zoras became the Rito

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
most of us know the Rito Tribe in WW. the main subject about this tribe that i always questioned is: did the zora race really evolve in to the rito tribe, is so how come?

now there are clues that prove this, like medli, got the zora logo on her clothes and she carries the bloodline of the zora sage. but would it not be better if they remained zora's? i mean you got the great sea and all of a sudden they have wings thanx to lord valoo.
or is lord valoo the cause that the zora 's became rito's?

You are right it would probably be better if they remained zoras but if they evolved into the rito then how could there be zoras in phantom hourglass not even a year after windwaker as well as there still being rito postmen. my guess is that 'semiaquatic' zoras that spend most of their lives near water with some swimming for fishy zora stuff they figured that it would be easier to adapt wings to get around after the great flood and also to survive it cuz they couldn't survive in water that deep. and in the case of the ocean king ocean the river zoras which i refer to as zolas evolved ever so slightly into zola warriors and between st and ph they migrated to new hyrule where they evolved again into fire zola warriors and mighty zola warriors. So there is my explanation.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
You are right it would probably be better if they remained zoras but if they evolved into the rito then how could there be zoras in phantom hourglass not even a year after windwaker as well as there still being rito postmen. my guess is that 'semiaquatic' zoras that spend most of their lives near water with some swimming for fishy zora stuff they figured that it would be easier to adapt wings to get around after the great flood and also to survive it cuz they couldn't survive in water that deep. and in the case of the ocean king ocean the river zoras which i refer to as zolas evolved ever so slightly into zola warriors and between st and ph they migrated to new hyrule where they evolved again into fire zola warriors and mighty zola warriors. So there is my explanation.

A couple of things to address here.

1. The Zora sage says that you have to find her descendant. Her descendant ended up being a member of the Rito tribe. Shouldn't need too much more proof there.

But if you do need more proof, here is number...

2. There are no Zora in Phantom Hourglass. If I am wrong could you please point out which part of the game has Zora? I know that there are monsters called Zora Warriors, but it is very safe to assume that they are not the same species as the Zora that appear in other games. In fact, they are probably more related to the Zola which are also seen as a different species than the Zora.

And this last point is just to correct something you said.

3. The Rito aren't born with wings. They have to go to Valoo(?) and retrieve one of his scales and then that is how they get their wings. This means that the Zora couldn't just decide to grow wings. In fact, based on any form of evolution, no one decides how they evolve. They just end up evolving best with their environment. So if they did evolve it was to best suit what they needed. I believe one of the games says Zora don't like salt water. The best way to get away from salt water is to fly. If they evolved because of the scales of Valoo, that is still something that was most likely against their wishes.

Clucluclu

Time for waffles
Revelation: Godessess turned Zora into Ruto.

Why, you ask? Because they wanted to keep Hyrule hidden forever. They sent all the species to the mountains (excluding Gerudo) but the Zora were probably partying like "Woohoo! Hyrules gonna be an ocean! F*** Yeah!" and so the Godesses sent lord Valoo to have them turned into Ruto so that they wouldn't be able to find Hyrule.

This would also explain why there are Zora/Zola in PH because the oceans there are those of the Ocean King and have no relation to Hyrule other than the possibility that it is somehow an alternate demension like Termina, or perhaps something more like Koholint in LA.

Zarom

The King
The Kokiri have evolved into the Koroks, because it is what the Deku Tree says and Makar is a descendant of Fado, a Kokiri. :)

I think that the Zoras have evolved into Ritos because Medli is a descendant of Laruto, who is a Zora. :zora:

The Gorons have stayed Gorons, since the islands are in fact the top of the mountains and that is their natural ''habitat''. However, they nearly become extinct (only three left). Does that mean that many Gorons died of the Great Flood? :goron:

And the Gerudos aren't the ones who haven't gone on top of the mountains, Dekus too. But since it happened in Hyrule and the Dekus in the forest/lost woods were more monsters than a tribe in that game. :deku:

That's all.

Clucluclu

Time for waffles
I think that the Goron's were down to 3 because the islands that they were on eventually ran out of resources (rocks) and they died out as they couldn't move to other islands.

This is what I think, When the great flood came, soot from Death Mountain infected the water near the zoras and they had to climb on the land and live there!
OR.. Or maybe
Ganondorf got pissed at the zoras for keeping something from him, pearls, crystals, ect., and layed a curse on them!

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
rito.png

青沼 「時のオカリナ」に登場したゾーラ族の進化した形がリト族で、コキリ族が森から離れてコログ族になった、という設定です。見た目はまるで違いますが、血は継承されています。
AONUMA: We created the Rito as the evolved form of the Zora that appeared in "Ocarina of Time" and the Koroks as what the Kokiri became once they left the forest. They appear different, but they have inherited their blood.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laruto: "O great hero, chosen by the Master Sword! My name is Laruto. I am a Zora sage. For an age, I offered my prayers here in the Earth Temple, praying that the power to repel evil would ever remain within the Master Sword. And yet... unfortunately, due to Ganondorf's evil designs, the Master Sword you hold has lost this power. After his defeat at the hands of the Hero of Time, Ganondorf was sealed away... but not for all time. He was revived, and he returned to Hyrule in a red wrath. He attacked this temple and stole my soul, knowing that he had to remove the power contained in that enchanted blade. In order to return the power to repel evil to your sword, you must find another to take my stead in this temple and ask the gods for their assistance. You must find the one who carries on my bloodline... The one who holds this sacred instrument... Nothing can stop the flow of time or the passing of generations... but the fate carried within my bloodline endures the ravages of all the years. It survives. The song you just conducted is one which will open the eyes of the new sage and awaken within that sage the melody that will carry our prayers to the gods. The door that blocks your way will only open when the sage plays that song. May the winds of fortune blow with you."
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Medli: "Just now, a sage spoke to me. She spoke so gently... There is something... something I must do. Link... Thanks to you, I've been awakened to the knowledge that I'm a sage of the Earth Temple. There's actually something that I can do to help this world. It's incredible... I bet my teacher knew all about this... Link, please... You must take me to the Earth Temple. We must hurry and wake the power to repel evil that sleeps within the Master Sword."
(SOURCE)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...gosh I'm a nerd. Also, fun fact, the Rito tribe was inspired by Akira Himekawa's original Watarara race. As for evolution, it's not so hard to see how those big fins on their arms eventually were able to become wings.

Last edited:

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master

1. The Zora sage says that you have to find her descendant. Her descendant ended up being a member of the Rito tribe. Shouldn't need too much more proof there.

2. There are no Zora in Phantom Hourglass. If I am wrong could you please point out which part of the game has Zora? I know that there are monsters called Zora Warriors, but it is very safe to assume that they are not the same species as the Zora that appear in other games. In fact, they are probably more related to the Zola which are also seen as a different species than the Zora.

3. The Rito aren't born with wings. They have to go to Valoo(?) and retrieve one of his scales and then that is how they get their wings. This means that the Zora couldn't just decide to grow wings. In fact, based on any form of evolution, no one decides how they evolve. They just end up evolving best with their environment. So if they did evolve it was to best suit what they needed. I believe one of the games says Zora don't like salt water. The best way to get away from salt water is to fly. If they evolved because of the scales of Valoo, that is still something that was most likely against their wishes.

Dude while there were no civil zoras that were peaceful there were the malicous ones which attack you as the fishy warriors at places like the cave on molidia and at the spot on molidia where you have to defeat two of them to reveal a statue.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Dude while there were no civil zoras that were peaceful there were the malicous ones which attack you as the fishy warriors at places like the cave on molidia and at the spot on molidia where you have to defeat two of them to reveal a statue.

Did you even read my post, because I specifically mentioned those specific Zora that you are talking about.

This is the part I addressed it at...you even quoted it...

They are called Warrior Zora (or Zora Warriors) and they are of a different specie of Zora.

Try reading through posts before responding because it's annoying when people quote someones post and make a statement that was addressed in that persons post.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master

Dude zolas are in my view a simple political classification that means uncivilized zoras. And I know that rito aren't born with wings. When i said they thought it would best that they adapt wings i sorta goofed. What i meant was to say that they develope the ability to sustain themselves at rather high altitudes. And at the top of the mountain which during ww is dragon roost was valoo who decided to grant them wings. Also they could've just used magic or maybe help from the goddesses to evolve. And also that might be true but if they hate salt water then why would they live in the great bay in mm. And bays are technically bodies of saltwater which are surrounded on three sides by land.

Did you even read my post, because I specifically mentioned those specific Zora that you are talking about.

This is the part I addressed it at...you even quoted it...

They are called Warrior Zora (or Zora Warriors) and they are of a different specie of Zora.

Try reading through posts before responding because it's annoying when people quote someones post and make a statement that was addressed in that persons post.

Dude zola warriors are technically a subspecies of zora which technically means a slight variation of the species of which it is a sub (yes i was quoting fawful there). Sorry that i was unclear.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
How Did the Zora Become the Rito?

(If you don't think the Zora became the Rito, save that for a different topic, please.)

I just wanted to see some discussion on how exactly the Zora ended up looking like birds. The only two possibilities that I know of are that they (d)evolved or that they were transformed by the goddesses when Hyrule was flooded.

What we know:
"...before the sealing of the kingdom,
the gods chose those who would build a
new country and commanded them to take
refuge on the mountaintops." -King Daphnes

"...When a Rito reaches adulthood, he
or she journeys to the top of Dragon Roost
to receive a scale from the great dragon.
It is this scale that enables the Rito to
grow his or her wings." -Rito Chieftain

So they didn't escape to the mountaintops just to escape extinction. The goddesses commanded them to.
And they didn't turn directly from amphibious creatures to flying creatures. They were more human-like before Valoo came.
Just keep these in mind when providing your thoughts. (they can be used as evidence either way.)

I think the goddesses transformed them into land creatures because they didn't want the Zora to adapt to the new water and become the dominant species or disturb Hyrule.

Another interesting quote:
"They are vast seas...
None can swim across them...
They yield no fish to catch..." -Ganondorf, on Zelda's dreams

I think the lack of fish in this quote is a metaphor for her insecurities and her inability to find total satisfaction in life, but it could also be taken literally meaning the Great Sea has no fish, and therefore no food for the Zoras.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Also, why did they move to Death Mountain? Jabun, their original guardian diety, resides in Greatfish Isle. Comparing the maps of OoT and WW, it appears that Greatfish Isle is above the Gerudo Valley.
The most sense I can make of that is if the entire Zora race, along with Jabu-Jabu, migrated through the passage to Lake Hylia, then upstream a bit, where Din created Greatfish Isle and Farore transformed them into land creatures. But then I have no idea why some of them moved to Dragon Roost.
Or perhaps only some migrated through Lake Hylia and the rest climbed Death Mountain (which neighbors Zora's Domain). That would mean the inhabitants of Greatfish Isle were the human forms of the Zora, and those of Dragon Roost were the ones to whom Valoo gave wings.
But then that raises the question of Valoo... Is he Volvagia? Why is he good now? Why is he supporting the Rito and not the Gorons? Why did the Gorons leave?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom